The British Council is the UK’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. We create friendly knowledge and understanding between the people of the UK and other countries. We do this by making a positive contribution to the UK and the countries we work with – changing lives by creating opportunities, building connections and engendering trust.
We work with over 100 countries across the world in the fields of arts and culture, English language, education and civil society. Each year we reach over 20 million people face-to-face and more than 500 million people online, via broadcasts and publications. Founded in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by Royal Charter and a UK public body.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Arts Programme Manager, Nigeria
Locations: Abuja, Lagos
Pay band: 7/F
Department: Cultural Engagement
Contract Type: Fixed Term, Two years
- This role sits within the Cultural Engagement (CE) Strategic Business Unit (SBU).
- CE brings together our portfolio of work in arts, education, English, and research. Our portfolio is delivered through a set of globally led programmes that locates our work and impact within our strategic framework.
- These programmes deliver our key performance indicators and impact ambitions.
- The country focus for Nigeria is Arts and the role will support programme deliver across these areas in alignment with regional and global programmes.
- This includes contributing to the design, implementation and evaluation of the country strategy and plans, and ensuring that ambitious plans (including operational, governance, financial and non-financial plans and targets) are met, ensuring full compliance with relevant standards and policies in so doing.
- This role includes support for the Head of Arts in the effective running of the Arts and Culture portfolio and deputise for the Head of Arts as appropriate
- This senior management role will also take the lead in actively securing and managing key partnerships, leading on business development opportunities and income generation aligned to the British Council’s strategy and vision.
- The post-holder will also support the delivery of any change programmes.
- To carry out the implementation of multi-country programmes or large single county project or programme funded by British Council and other partners or clients in compliance with British Council policies and procedures.
- Could play a leadership role on a specific component of a larger project or programme.
Main Accountabilities (but not limited to the following)
The appointed candidate will have the following accountabilities, responsibilities and main duties:
- Could play a leadership role on a specific component of a larger project or programme
- Manages delivery teams and/or project team.
- Leads on relationships at a project/programme level.
- Holds delivery partners to account including supply chain management where applicable.
- manage and control the agreed budget, expenditure and income against plans, ensure accuracy of reports and ensure sound financial management and analysis across the portfolio through monthly finance reviews and quarterly business reviews.
- Ensures that every project/programme is compliant with all internal policies and processes (for example safeguarding, EDI, supply change management, social value and conflict sensitivity).
- Undertakes programme-specific data collection as needed and works with colleagues to identify indicators and tools for data collection, quality assures all data, and undertakes basic analysis.
- Supports the design of results-based programmes including development of basic Monitoring & Evaluation plans and results frameworks.
- As with any business that experiences peaks and troughs of activity, there is likely to be a need to work outside office hours from time to time.
Role Specific Knowledge and Experience
The successful candidate will need to possess the following requirements:
- Foundation level Project Management qualification (in-house training or evidence of CPD in this area could be considered)
- Experience of managing multi country or large in-country programmes that have met project closure and audit standards.
- Knowledge/ and.or experience of working with at least two types of funding sources within a structured compliance regime.
- Experience of client management, partner management and/or contract management.
- Experience of managing a wide range of stakeholders.
- More than three years’ experience managing projects or managing aspects of programmes in the arts & culture sector in Nigeria
- Experience in spotting risk in a project or programme and putting together successful risk mitigation with SRO
- Understanding of MEL principles
- Experience of managing teams.
- Experience of conducting lessons learned reviews/After action reviews to inform future programme design and management.
- More than 5 years’ experience managing projects / programmes
- Experience of managing dispersed teams.
- Role holder must have existing rights to live and work in the country the role is based.
Application Closing Date
8th September, 2022; 23:59 Nigeria Time
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Role could require some domestic and international travel as required by the programme and some out of hours and evening work responding to or driven by programme/portfolio needs
- If you have any problems with your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ‘ASK HR’ email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.
You can also check the following
- How to Write a Follow Up Email after Submitting Your Resume
- How to Email a Resume and Cover Letter Attachment
- Top 10 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online While Unemployed
- 6 Tips That Will Help You to Get Experience for Your Dream Job
- Online Jobs that require little or no experience
- How To Apply For jobs online | 7 Amazing Tips You Need to Know