This is a complete guide on the job description of a business analyst. It is optimized to support your goal.
A business analyst could be a permanent staff of an organization or may be contracted to analyse a business.
Their involvement in a specific program, project or operation depends on it’s scope.
These professionals bridge the gap between IT and business. Their aim is to increase business growth by developing better work practice.
In most organizations, they are a part of the IT department.
In order to successfully carry out a business analyst’s duties and responsibilities, it is necessary that you posses some skills.
Of course, academic qualification and boot camps are also very important to succeed as a business analyst (BA)
It is a very vital role in any organization, because their ideas can rapidly grow a business.
They also support and guide businesses through difficult times and challenges.
What does a business analyst do?
Business analyst observe the way a business works, they conduct thorough research, analyse and evaluate data, then come up with better and innovative ways, methods and best practices to improve the business productivity and growth.
The overall aim of a BA is to help the business make more sales, and solve problems as well.
As the world gets more civilized and tech keeps improving, more organizations require services from a business analyst.
Oftentimes, the solution they come up with has to do with the implementation of new computer or tech systems.
They also propose to business owners to conduct trainings or seminars in order to teach and train staffs on the usage of new technology.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a business analyst?
The job description of a business analyst requires that they carry out these duties and responsibilities:
1. Analyze a business structure
Business analyst carry out thorough observation on how a particular business works.
They investigate on the use of technology in a business and why a particular technology is best for that business type.
2. Identify problems within a business
They carry out accurate research to discover problems a business is currently facing or can possibly face.
This research can be carried out using data modeling techniques.
3. Hold meetings with stakeholders
The aim of this meeting between stakeholders and business analyst is for the BA to properly understand the aim of the stakeholders.
When the BA knows what the stakeholders hope to achieve, it makes it easier to analyse the business from the right perspective.
4. Come up with innovative ideas
After proper business analysis has been conducted, it is expected of the BA to suggest innovative ways to grow the business.
5. Conduct staff training and workshops
It is also the duty of the BA to propose training and workshops to stakeholder.
When it is approved, they work with the human resources department to conduct trainings or workshops.
The aim of this training is the familiarize staffs with the use of new technology.
Other duties and responsibilities of business analyst include:
- Suggesting the use of new technology to stakeholders.
- Coordinate the installation and implementation of new technology and computer systems.
- Staying up to date with the latest IT advancements and new practices and processes.
- Briefing stakeholders on the process of the business analysis.
- Developing a project plan and monitoring its implementation
- Identifying business opportunities
- Conducting market research and business feasibility.
- Assist stakeholders and financial managers to create a business budget.
- Carry out financial and operational modelling.
Your duties and responsibilities may vary depending on the size and sector of the business.
- What is the Job description of a Copywriter
- What is the Job Description of a Web Developer?
- What is the Job Description of a Pharmacist?
- What is the Job Description of an Accountant?
- What is the Job Description of a Cook?
- What is the Job Description of a Receptionist?
What are the requirements to become a business analyst?
Typically, the minimum academic requires every business analyst should have is a bachelor’s degree.
A degree in business management, information management technology, business administration or related fields is preferred.
Some other professional certification include:
- PMI Professional in business analysis (PMA)
- IREB Certified professional for required engineering (CPRE)
- IQBBA Certified foundation level business analyst (CFLBA)
- IIBS Agile analysis certification
- IIBA Certification of competence in business analysis (CCBA)
To improve your qualification, you can obtain a master’s or doctorate degree.
Aside all of these certifications, business analysis is not an entry-level job.
Therefore most organization require some years of experience.
Usually, experience in business analysis or other related fields is preferred.
Employers also look out for those with good knowledge in IT.
What skills do I need to become a business analyst?
In order to successfully carry out all the duties and responsibilities of a business analyst, certification are not enough.
Every good business analyst possess certain skills and attributes.
Some which include:
1. Communication skills
It is if uttermost importance for a BA to know how to communicate the technical and non technical aspect of his or her job.
You should be able to communicate in writing and verbally as well.
2. Problem solving skills
Every good business analyst has to be a problem solver.
Moreover, sometimes, business analysts are contracted to solve problems a business may be facing.
Aside that, problems may arise in the course of analyzing a business, you should be able to handle it.
3. Analytical and critical thinking
Business analysis requires good critical and analytical thinking.
Therefore a good business analyst must develop the ability to think critically and analytically.
4. Time management skills
Oftentimes, a BA works with deadlines that must be met.
As a result is is important to develop good time managerial skills.
Some other skills a business analyst should have are:
- Leadership skills
- Managerial skills
- Budgeting skills
- Organisational skills
- Attention to details.
- Detailed Job Description Guide for Different Professions and Job Positions
- Job Description of a Human Resource Manager
- What are the Duties and Responsibilities of a Carpenter
- What are the Duties and Responsibilities of a Warehouse Manager?
- What does an Architect do? Full Job Description, Roles and Responsibilities
- What is the Job Description of a Bank Teller? [Full Job Duties, Roles and Responsibilities]
Where do business analyst work?
Although business analysis relatively a new career prospect in IT, there are a wide range of employment opportunities
Some of the typical employers of business analysts are:
- Business analysis firms
- Tech firms
- Government organizations
- Research agencies
- Insurance companies
Analysts with some years of working experience may become freelancers and work based on contracts.
Freelance analysts may have to travel to meet with clients, and their work duration depends on the project.
How much do business analysts make?
Your pay as a business analyst is determined by so many factors.
Some of which include:
But, on the average, business analysts in the United States earn about $30,000 per year.
Less experience analyst make about $20,000 per year, whereas their experienced colleagues make up to $70,000 per year.
The figure differs depending on your location. But obviously, experience puts you at a position to earn more.
Is business analyst an IT job?
Business analyst carry out a lot of IT and technical duties and responsibilities, they also have to stay update with recent technologies.
For most companies seeking for IT business analyst, technical skills are very important.
Therefore, it is necessary to include your tech and IT skills in your resume.
What should I include in my Business analyst resume?
Apart from an interview, your resume helps employers determine if you are qualified for the job.
Therefore you may want to include information like:
- Academic qualification
- Soft skills
- Hard skills
- Tech skills
During your interview an interview do not overlook the importance of making g reference to these skills.
Don’t hesitate to make best use of this guide on the job description of a business analyst to create a professional resume that suits your goal.
Examples of business analyst interview questions
During an interview, here are some important questions you may be asked.
- What can you offer this company that other candidates can’t?
- What do you understand by user-centred design technology?
- Suggest an effective use case study
- What do you know about Agile software?
- What are the duties of a business analyst?
When answering this questions or any other, stay bold,calm and respond Intelligently.
To learn more about business analyst interview, click Here
After reading this guide on the job description of a business analyst, you should be able to answer some interview questions. Although, not all.
What are businesses analytics tools and softwares?
These are tools or software’s used to carry out business analysis. Some of which include Microsoft excel, power point, SQL, Microsoft asses Goggle analytics and Tableau,
These tools and softwares are use by business analysts to collect and collate data, create documents, and visual representation of data.
It is not mandatory for a BA to have web development or data base skills.
However, this skills are advantageous and may make the work easier.
Why do business analyst go for boot camps?
Boot camps are necessary for business analysts because they are designed to teach them about new and improved technologies
Boot camps could be the regular kind of workshops or seminars that may last for some days or months.
These trainings are not only organized offline, but online too, in order to suit the schedule and learning style of different people.
Training fee may range from $100 to $2,500 depending on the course outline and training duration.
But, some boot camps are free, and open for any one who is Interested to register.
Attending boot camps provides BAs with some experience which may help improve their resume or portfolio.
Summary of business analyst job description guide
Business analyst are agile workers who stand in the gap between business and technology.
This professionals see to the overall growth and improvement of a business.
Like I already said, this guide on the job description of a business analyst is optimized to support your goal.
Therefore, don’t hesitate to maximum use of it in whichever you you wish.
It can be used to create a professional resume or a template or posting for the job description of a business analyst.
Other job description:
- What is the Job Description of a Teacher
- What is the Job Description of a Secretary?
- What is the Job Description of a Software Engineer?
- What is the Job Description of a Logistics Coordinator?
- What is the Job Description of a Dermatologist?
- What is the Job Description of a Flight Attendant?
- What is the Job Description of an Event Planner?
- What is the Job Description of a Physical Therapist?
- What is the Job Description of a Vet Tech?
- What is the Job Description of a Hotel Manager?
- What is the Job Description of a Barrister?
- What is the Job Description of a Zoologist?