The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chauffeur – Employees of Mission-All/or USEFMs, EFMs or MOHs
Announcement Number: Lagos-2022-019RA
Promotion Potential: LE-4
Series/Grade: LE – 1015 4
Hiring Agency: Consulate General Lagos
Work Schedule: Full-time – 48 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is AA. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Current Employees of the Mission – This includes U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); Declared Members of Household (MOHs), dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM – All Agencies
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (48 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: 75% or less
- Job holder drivers DEA personnel and family, TDY visitors and DEA locally employed staff in Lagos, Nigeria and in other states as required.
- Under the supervision of Country Attaché, the incumbent operates a variety of armored motor vehicles to transport Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) personnel including VIP visitors, TDY staff, delegations and field trips.
- Performs daily and weekly preventive maintenance, including but not limited to cleaning vehicles, document mileage, check fuel and oil levels, refuse vehicles, and check tire gauge.
- A driver for the DEA has to be trustworthy , confidential and use the utmost discretion.
- The driver must successfully pass the DEA polygraph examination to maintain honesty, loyalty and to assure that the personnel has not, at any time be comprised.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Secondary School is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years professional driving experience is required.
- Knowledge of key locations such as government facilities, resident Embassies and Consulates, restaurants and shops is required. Knowledge of traffic laws, local area roads and traffic patterns in and around Lagos and other cities is required.
- Good knowledge of Department of State regulations governing the use of USG vehicles is required.
- Must have good knowledge of automotive, mechanical, safety and maintenance practices i.e. checking fluids and tire pressure.
- This may be tested. Applicants MUST address ALL language proficiency requirements to be considered.
- Limited knowledge (Reading/Writing/Speaking) of English is required. Limited knowledge (Reading/Writing/Speaking) of any Local Language is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a valid Nigerian driver’s license. Ability to work on rotational shift schedule is required.
- Must be able to drive carefully and cautiously in heavy and chaotic traffic.
- Ability to communicate clearly on the phone and /or by radio and follow instructions is required.
- Ability to recognize hazards or potential dangerous situations and take appropriate defensive action is required.
- S/he should be able to drive a variety of vehicles, including buses, sedans, and trucks, both standard and automatic.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order
- 1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- 2. AEFM / USEFM
- 3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN3,889,576 (USD27,782) / Annum.
Application Closing Date
29th March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary School Certificate
- Drivers License
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Lagos, Nigeria.
You can also check the following
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online While Unemployed
- How to Write a Follow Up Email after Submitting Your Resume
- How to Email a Resume and Cover Letter Attachment
- Top 10 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
- 6 Tips That Will Help You to Get Experience for Your Dream Job
- Online Jobs that require little or no experience
- How To Apply For jobs online | 7 Amazing Tips You Need to Know