The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Comms IMMA Analyst
Job Identification: 5625
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Job Schedule: Full time
Vacancy Type: Fixed Term
Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
- UNDP is systemically changing how its institutional and programmatic activities are portrayed and financed. Country Offices are now compelled to unlock new innovative partnerships and business models that enable programmes, projects, and services that support countries to accelerate sustainable development. Adopting a new resource management paradigm, as the global funding landscape for development cooperation is transforming requires the enabling self-sustaining initiatives that are people centered, results oriented and impactful. As a result, the dynamic positioning of UNDP for emerging opportunities that help communities to address the complex and evolving development challenges, is core to country office programming and delivery.
- UNDP has identified partnerships, advocacy and communications as a core strategic area of growth in support of its work at global, regional and country level. Focus on this area is motivated by the new demands posed by the 2030 and 2063 agendas, which require concerted creative and innovative actions from all development actors, to achieve the ambitious goals for socioeconomic transformation and sustainable development. It is also driven by the growing need to innovate and shift development narrative, that positions UNDP as convener of national and regional policy dialogue, facilitator of development partnerships and the enabler of citizenry agency to respond to development challenges.
- In Nigeria, UNDP works with its national counterparts to implement its development priorities towards achievement of sustainable development. The work is guided by global, regional and national development and normative frameworks to which Nigeria is signatory to, including the 2030 Agenda and Agenda 2063.
- To support this work successfully, UNDP Nigeria intends to engage qualified professionals to support the reimagination of its development offer and support the acceleration and the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through integration of community voices, ideas and action as informed by context, leaving no one behind.
- To ensure that UNDP is working closer with Nigerians in the vast geographical contexts, the country office is expanding its footprint by decentralizing its operations across the country; guaranteeing organizational relevance and agility that is context informed and increased comparative advantage to walk with Nigerians as they define their development trajectory.
- To support the shifting development narrative and exploration of a deeper connection with Nigeria’s development ambition and context, UNDP Nigeria country office intends to engage a professional expert to support by reimagination of its outreach, partnerships and public engagement initiatives and function.
- Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Public Engagement, Outreach, and Partnerships Lead the Communications innovation and multi-media advocacy officer is expected to support the creative, innovative, visioning and strategic leadership to the country office, through utilization of innovative communications approaches that enhance the positioning UNDP Nigeria, as a premier development thought leader in ways that boost visibility and overall business opportunities.
- The incumbent will invest time and experience to support the curation of creative and innovative public engagement and management for the benefit of the country office and its partners, with the aim of enhancing UNDP’s programmatic profile, promote accountability and, public information accessibility.
- With the leadership of the Public Engagement, Outreach, and Partnerships Lead the incumbent will ensure support for inter-agency/multi-sector partnerships and collaboration through critical actions geared towards the strategic positioning, partnership building and business development with a view to influence the development agenda and, enhance public and private sector engagement for UNDP, contributing to the successful delivery of the UNDP development offer.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the design and implementation of communication and outreach strategies
- Manage UNDP country office digital platforms including website, social media, intranet, other web-based communication platforms
- Enhance public outreach and engagement with all relevant stakeholders and partners
- Support the Facilitation of knowledge building and management
- Effective team delivery.
Facilitate the design and implementation of communication and outreach strategies:
- Provide timely support in the curation and implementation of the country office and project public engagement and outreach strategies
- Support the design and implementation of digital and multimedia campaigns and advocacy strategies for the country office and projects
- Facilitate timely and enriching communication on and around UNDP contribution and impact including that of its partners to Nigeria’s development agenda through evidence-based and human-centered storytelling approach
- Support inclusion and integration of the country office communication and advocacy strategies into all aspects of programme and operation implementation of UNDP work
- Facilitate outreach and engagement with innovators, creatives, community mobilisers and influencers to achieve articulation of programmatic achievements.
Manage UNDP country office digital platforms including website, social media, intranet, other web-based communication platforms:
- Support in the design of the Country office and project websites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the UNDP global digital team.
- Support preparation of content for country office and project websites including social media platforms fostering timely, innovative and consistent engagement with all target audiences.
- Facilitate the development and publication of blogs, articles, success stories, multimedia campaign materials that enhance programmatic and project visibility.
Facilitate public outreach and engagement with all relevant stakeholders and partners:
- Support stakeholders mapping and promote access to information and dissemination
- Support advocacy and outreach activities to promote UNDP work and impact including positioning UNDP thought leadership and influence
- Facilitate media coverage, maintenance of media contacts and facilitate access to newsworthy information
- Support the dissemination of appropriate information to journalists, media outlets and digital media.
- Support media management including pitching, monitoring, and analysis.
- Support engagement with innovation and creative ecosystem, and private sector
Support the Facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Support drafting and use of blogs, social media, and communities of practice to ensure wide dissemination of positions, events, debates on programmatic work and related issues
- Support continuous analysis and collation of lessons learnt, best practices and impact in the area of communications for development
- Support the drafting and dissemination of project reports to donor partners, Government, private sector and other relevant partners
Effective team delivery:
- Support management and recruitment of consultants and delivery of their tasks
- Support the delivery of the approved partnerships and communication annual workplan
- Foster collaboration and co-creation of communication assets across teams
Impact of Results
- As an active UNDP CO team member, efficient, timely, responsive, client-friendly and high-quality support rendered to UNDP and its beneficiaries in the accomplishment of her/his duties, including, strengthening partnerships. The Public engagement, Outreach, and Partnerships Lead is expected to provide creative, innovative, visionary and strategic leadership to the country office.
- This will result in a positive impact on the overall success of UNDP’s programming to UNDP Nigeria in key development areas as a thought leader in ways that boost demand for various service lines and increase overall business opportunities.
- Ultimately the work in the areas mentioned will have the long-term impact of supporting UNDP Nigeria in delivering better policy advice and programming to partners, through evidence-based recommendations, thereby contributing towards the achievement of the SDGs.
- Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: None
- Achieve Results:-LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively:-LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously:-LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility :-LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination LEVEL 1: -Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner:-LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion:-LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
- People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies:
- Business Management-Communication -Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, socialmedia and other appropriate channels
- Business Management-Partnership Management-Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Business Development UNDP Representation- Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies
- Business Development-Knowledge Generation-Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- Business Management-Digital Awareness and Literacy-Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skilfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed
- Business Management-Partnerships Management-Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Business Development-Integration within the UN-Ability to identity, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Journalism, Public Relations, Law, Human Rights, Political or Social Sciences or comparable academic preparation. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience, Knowledge, and Skills:
- At least 3 years of relevant experience at the national level in public relations, communications or advocacy is required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work and handle multiple demands.
- Experience in the United Nations system or a comparable international organization is desirable.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Experience with inter-agency or multi-stakeholder collaboration is desirable.
- A high degree of political and cross-cultural sensitivity
- Experience drafting user-friendly knowledge products and advocacy materials such as fliers, articles, success stories, etc
- Strong leadership and team-building skills
- Experience in production of multimedia assets and handling of web-based management systems is required.
- Fluency in oral and written English; knowledge of other official UN languages is desirable.
Application Closing Date
13th September, 2022; 04:59 AM.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
You can also check the following
- How to Write a Follow Up Email after Submitting Your Resume
- How to Email a Resume and Cover Letter Attachment
- Top 10 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online While Unemployed
- 6 Tips That Will Help You to Get Experience for Your Dream Job
- Online Jobs that require little or no experience
- How To Apply For jobs online | 7 Amazing Tips You Need to Know