If you want to get full details of your duties and responsibilities as a customer service representative, then continue reading this detailed CSR job description guide.
Customer service is the act of providing service to customers before, during and after a purchase.
It provides services to existing customers.
The person who renders the customer service is the customer service representative (CSR).
There is a lot of work for a CSR and that includes providing helpful information to customers, answering questions and responding to complaints.
There is a lot of buying and selling going around us every day, there are a lot products – goods and services, which are being provided by companies.
These different products can be overwhelming and this why there has to be a CSR to take our questions and calm our fears
The customer service is basically the frontline of every organization.
And the way the CSR interacts with present and potential customers determines to a large extent how far that company will go.
Customer feedback is everything to a business and these personnel are the best people for the job.
Duties and Responsibilities of the CSR
There are a lot of things expected of the customer service representative.
However, some of the common duties and responsibilities of a CSR include:
- Building sustainable relationships and trust with customers through open and interactive communication
- Managing large amounts of calls
- Handling customer complaints, and provide appropriate solutions within time limits
- Engaging customers
- Generating sales lead
- Recommending potential products or services to management by collecting customer information and analyzing customer needs
- Providing accurate, valid and complete information by using the right methods and tools.
- Should be reachable via email, phone and social media.
- Assisting with placement of orders, refunds or exchanges
- Keeping records of customer interactions, transactions and complaints
- Identifying and assessing customers’ needs to achieve satisfaction
- Communicating and coordinating with colleagues as necessary
- Knowing the products inside out to be able to answer all customer inquiries.
- Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc Job Recruitment (6 Positions)
- Assistant Wartsila Manager at Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc
- Operations Mananger – PFM at Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc – Kaduna / Cross River / Oyo
- Assistant Tax Manager at Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc
- Corporate Finance Manager at Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc
- Maintenance Planner – PFM at Flour Mills of Nigeria Plc
What are the Qualification and Requirements to become a Customer Service Representative?
A CSR is required to not just possess hard skills but also soft skills.
Hard Skills include:
- A high school diploma, higher education preferred
- Familiarity with CRM systems and active practices
- Be comfortable with computers
- Months or years in this are or a related field that has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices and procedures.
- On-the-job training
Soft skills include:
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively
- Ability to stay calm and remain professional when faced with a frustrated customer
- Be convincing enough to sell a product
- Problem-solving skills
The best customer service representatives are patient, empathetic and communicative.
What Special Skills do Customer Service Representatives Require?
Working in the customer service department is definitely not for everyone’s cup of tea. Due to their involvement with people every day whether directly (face-to-face) or indirectly (phone, email or social media), they need to have calm personalities and demeanours and be able to deal with every personality and demeanor too. Here are some of the skills every CSR must have:
1. Good Communication Skills
One of the skills you will find in your job description as a customer service representative is “good communication skills.”
Honestly, this is a skill that everyone needs to have but as a CSR, it is imperative to have this skills.
A good communicator is a good listener, a good writer and a good talker.
Like a good talker, you will need to know how to engage customers and convince them to try another company’s products.
In addition, you should even know how to relay messages to other members of your team.
You will also need to be able to talk calmly to a frustrated customer.
As a good listener, it’s important to listen to a customer when he is asking questions about a particular service or a particular product.
While listening, you will also need to make appropriate suggestion and solutions.
Knowing how to write is also important because you will need to be able to write emails, respond to reviews and complaints on social media or on the company’s website, etc.
To do this effectively, you must know how to write comprehensibly and cohesively.
Like I said earlier, you will definitely meet an unimpressed customer everyday.
However, you have to be patient and calm when dealing with such a customer.
Try as much as possible to not let annoyance show in your tone or demeanour when interacting with a frustrated customer as this will further anger or annoy the customer.
You may need to reply to three or more chats or emails at the same, you may need to look up information about a customer while said customer is speaking on the phone, etc. knowing how to do a number of things serially is a very important skill to have as a CSR.
Charismatic people are likeable and customers will be able to talk to you easily and your presence will be able to give them a sense of calm.
You need to have a blended mix of power and warmth so that customers will know that you are able to help them out while being empathetic and compassionate to them.
5. Company Knowledge
This can’t be overemphasized. CSRs are extensions and even front liners of their companies and therefore should have deep knowledge of the products and services sold by their company.
This will make you a competent person and when customers come to you for help or questions or advice on what product to get, they will be satisfied with your response.
What to Expect Working as a Customer Service Rep
Expect to be in front of the computer for long hours and to receive a lot of phone calls in a day.
Also expect a to be in the office in the early hours of the morning to prepare for the day and to remain at the office long after work hours to go through and tie all lose ends from the day.
You should also be prepared to talk throughout the day and even repeat the same words and sentences throughout the day.
Do not expect every customer to be happy and you should be prepared to meet and speak with the unhappy ones.
What is the Annual Salary of a Customer Service Representative?
A CSR is paid an average of $14.34 per hour. Has a bonus rate of $203-$5k, profit-sharing rate of $289-$12k and an annual salary of $22k-$45k.
Summary of Customer Service Representative (CSR) Duties and Responsibilities
This article aims at explaining the job description of a customer service representative for anyone seeking to apply for such position.
Working as a customer service representative requires you to be cheerful all the time and learn to manage your emotions.
With the tips in this article I believe you will make a better customer service representative in your company.
For further reading, see related articles below.
- What is the Job Description of a Teacher
- What is the Job Description of a Secretary?
- What is the Job Description of a Software Engineer?
- What is the Job Description of a Logistics Coordinator?
- What is the Job Description of a Dermatologist?
- What is the Job Description of a Flight Attendant?
- What is the Job Description of an Event Planner?
- What is the Job Description of a Physical Therapist?
- What is the Job Description of a Vet Tech?
- What is the Job Description of a Hotel Manager?
- What is the Job Description of a Barrister?
- What is the Job Description of a Zoologist?