In order to create that perfect and professional resume, carefully read this dental hygienist job description guide.
Dentist and dental hygienist work together to maintain proper dental or oral health of their patients.
Dental hygienists carry out several tasks such as oral screening, caring for patients, carrying out x-rays and checking blood pressure.
The duties and responsibilities of a dental hygienist may differ depending on location.
The job description of a dental hygienist may also include educating and counseling patients on oral dental hygiene.
As a good dental hygienist, you must be organized and given to details. You must also obey all dental office regulations.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a dental hygienist?
To become a good dental hygienist, you should be conversant with all your duties and responsibilities.
The duties and responsibilities of a dental hygienist are but not limited to these:
- Helping the dentist with treatment procedures.
- Screening patients. Screening may include neck and head inspection and mouth cancer screening
- Carrying out dental x-rays on patients.
- Making necessary enquiries about a patient’s medical history.
- Checking the blood pressure and pulse of patients.
- Removing plaques from the surface of the teeth
- Sterilizing all instruments and equipment to avoid the spread of infection.
- Educating patients on the importance of maintaining a good diet and it’s impact on oral health.
- Developing and applying measures to help control infections.
- Educating patients on dental care procedures.
- Assisting the dentist in diagnosis.
- Taking models of patient’s teeth for study.
- Carrying out some clerical duties
- Keeping records.
- Preparing patients for dental treatment and ensuring that they are comfortable.
Different countries may place some restrictions on the duties a dental hygienist is allowed to carry out.
What qualifications do I need to become a dental hygienist?
Just like in the case of the duties and responsibilities of a dental hygienist, the qualifications required to become a dental hygienist may differ depending on country.
Some of the the qualifications required to become a dental hygienist common in most countries are:
- Get a formal training from any accredited school of dental hygiene and graduate.
- Become registered with the general dental council
- Years of experience working as a dental hygienist.
- Good knowledge of dental health and safety procedures in dental hygiene profession.
In the United kingdom, it takes 2 years to complete the foundation degree and diploma programs.
Whereas degree courses take 3 years to complete.
What skills and personality suit a dental assistant?
Qualifications may help you get the job but skills will make you a good dental hygienist.
Some of the skills that can make you stand out as a dental hygienist are;
1.Good dental knowledge
Having proper orientation of dental parts and instruments is advantageous to becoming a dental hygienist.
You must also have good knowledge of all duties and responsibilities you are allowed to carry out in your country.
As a good dental hygienist, you should be able to maintain a good relationship with patients and dentist.
You should also be very kind and sensitive to the feelings of patients.
Being able to communicate effectively both verbally and in written for is advantageous.
This skill is necessary in record keeping and when educating patients about dental health.
A good dental hygienist must be well organized. You should be able to keep all instruments in their appropriate place.
How much do dental assistants make?
According to money.usnews.com, the average salary of a dental hygienist is about $74,830 as at 2018.
The lowest 25% of the median age earns about $62,940. Whereas the heightest 25% earns $89,610.
These figures may vary depending on your location, employer, qualification and experience.
More qualified and experienced dental hygienists are likely to earn more than their less qualified and experienced colleagues.
Where do dental assistants work?
Most dentists require the assistance of a dental hygienist. Most times, they even require that assistance of more than one dental hygienist.
As a result, the employment opportunities are quiet high. Some of the typical employers of dental hygienist are:
- Public health dentistry
- Pediatric dentistry
- Dental clinics
- Dental school clinics
- Nursing homes
- Vocational schools
- Dental product stores
Why you should become a dental hygienist: career advantage
There are so many reasons why people chose a career path over others.
Here are some of the reasons dental hygienist may actually be the right career for you.
- Due to the challenging nature of the Job of a dental hygienist, every day comes with different experience. And as a result, it requires you to develop versatile skills to handle each challenge.
- As a result of the high demand of dental hygienist, you may decide to work full time or part time.
- The working environment of a dental hygienist is very comfortable, interesting and has a lot of people frequently going in and out.
- The joy that comes with helping others manage their body part and health conditions is not comparable to anything. It brings satisfaction.
What should I include in my dental hygienist resume?
This guide on the job description guide of a dental hygienist is a perfect guide for making an irresistible resume.
Having a good knowledge of the job description of a dental hygienist is a good start when creating a portfolio.
Some of the information to make available in your resume are:
- Your qualification
- Years of experience
- Skills you posses.
Your resume goes a long way in determining whether or not you will be employed.
Conclusion: dental assistant job description guide
Employment opportunities for dental assistants is expected to increase by 20% from now to 2026.
Dentists will always require the services of dental hygienist to make the work at dental clinics easier and faster.
As more dentist emerge, more dental clinics will be opened, in turn, more dental hygienists will be required.
Moreover, as the world’s population increases, the services of a dental hygienist will be more in demand.
Now is the perfect time to start up a career in dental hygiene. Before you know, you must have obtained so much experience.
Feel free to use this article on the job description of a dental hygienist to guide you when making a resume.
Other job descriptions: