The World Bank Group – Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: E T Consultant – Financial Management Specialist
Job #: req19085
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Finance & Accounting
Term Duration: 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Western and Central Africa (AFW) Region:
- In West and Central Africa, the World Bank is a leading partner with a growing portfolio of 387 projects totaling more than $44.1 billion in areas such as agriculture, trade and transport, energy, education, health, water and sanitation- all to support job creation, gender equality, poverty reduction, and better lives. Across the continent, the World Bank’s program has nearly doubled over the last 10 years. By 2030, about 87% of the world’s extreme poor are projected to live in Sub-Saharan Africa, so this is where our mission to end extreme poverty and to promote shared prosperity will be achieved. Further information: https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/afr/western-and-central-africa
Equitable Growth, Finance and Institutions (EFI) Practice Group:
- The EFI Practice Group supports countries to build the economic and institutional foundations for inclusive and sustainable growth and, thereby, make progress towards achieving the World Bank Group’s twin goals of reducing poverty and boosting shared prosperity.
- Our Practice Group includes the WBG Global Practices of Finance Competitiveness and Innovation (FCI); Governance (GOV), Macroeconomics Trade and Investment (MTI); and Poverty and Equity (POV).
Governance Global Practice
- The Governance Global Practice helps countries build capable, effective, transparent, accountable, and inclusive institutions that deliver citizen-centric services, facilitate private-sector growth and build trust in government.
Financial Management Specialist, EAWG2, Nigeria:
- The EAWG2 Team covers the Governance Global Practice program in three Country Management Units (CMUs): (i) Nigeria; (ii) Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone; and (iii) Cameroon, Central African Republic, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Republic of Congo.
- The position is focused on providing Financial Management (FM) fiduciary assurance for Bank-financed operations in Nigeria. The position requires strong hands-on advisory and operational contributions to the fiduciary arrangements of Investment Project Financing (IPF), results-based financing, and strengthening of associated sector FM systems.
- You will be under the supervision of the Governance Practice Manager for the EAWG2 Unit and will work in coordination with other EAWG2 team members based in HQ and the field, as well as colleagues from Procurement, other Global Practices, Finance & Accounting (Loans), and from the AWCW2 Country Management Unit (CMU).
- Provide high quality FM fiduciary assurance services, including assessing the adequacy of operations’ FM arrangements, providing FM implementation support and supervising operations financed by credits and grants, ensuring compliance with the Bank’s audit and other FM requirements, performing analytical work on FM and accountability issues, and carrying out capacity building activities, all with due attention to quality assurance arrangements.
- Contribute to promoting effective reliance on country systems as deemed appropriate, greater use of technology for fiduciary due diligence and implementation support, and streamlining of FM and disbursement processes.
- Contribute to the provision of high quality inputs to CPFs, PLRs and CPPRs.
- Contribute to the provision of strategic advice and support to CMUs and other Global Practices, especially with regards to FM in sector service delivery.
- Managing the preparation and supervision of assigned tasks and deliverables, ensuring timely and quality delivery with efficient budget management.
- Generation and exchange of knowledge relating to FM/PFM issues.
- Contribution to corporate tasks such as the preparation of country briefs, inputs to thematic notes and knowledge and learning events.
- While focusing on the Nigeria portfolio, the FMS is expected to contribute to the program in other countries in the Unit as deemed necessary.
- Qualified professional accountant (CPA, CA, ACCA or equivalent membership of an internationally recognized professional accountancy body) with a Master’s Degree in Accounting, Public Financial Management, Finance, or another related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience.
- Has completed OCC course and TF accreditation; or, in case of external hire, must complete both within probationary period.
- Public Financial Management System Knowledge and Ability: solid understanding of budget formulation, authorization and commitment, treasury and cash management, internal controls, internal audit and risk management, financial management information systems, accounting and reporting (including international public sector accounting standards), and accountability and oversight institutions (including SAI and external audit, ISSAIs, and legislative scrutiny).
- Financial Management in Operations Knowledge and Ability: demonstrates solid knowledge of the Bank’s fiduciary assurance risk model and use of country PFM systems for Bank-financed operations.
- Performs a range of standard assessments to strengthen and monitor the Borrower or Implementing Entities’ financial management arrangements to help provide reasonable assurance that the proceeds of our financing are used for the purposes for which they are granted.
- Strong team player with the ability to work independently and effectively both remotely and face-to-face.
- Integrative skills: demonstrates understanding of working across WBG practices and sectors
- Written and verbal communication skills: demonstrates solid ability to identify and assess technical and policy issues and communicate findings
- Verbally and through written reports and presentations.
- Fluency in English.
- Written and Verbal Communication – Delivers information effectively in support of team or workgroup
- Client Orientation – Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
- Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work.
- Public Administration – Understands the overall dimensions and structures of the mechanics of government and its public administration, including and public financial management.
Application Closing Date
12th October, 2022 (11:59pm UTC).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
You can also check the following
- How to Write a Follow Up Email after Submitting Your Resume
- How to Email a Resume and Cover Letter Attachment
- Top 10 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online While Unemployed
- 6 Tips That Will Help You to Get Experience for Your Dream Job
- Online Jobs that require little or no experience
- How To Apply For jobs online | 7 Amazing Tips You Need to Know