Are you searching for the best free online mechanical engineering courses in 2023? Search no more; you are in the right place at the right time.
Contrary to what many people think, it is possible to study mechanical engineering online, and students can choose from many free online mechanical engineering programs.
An opportunity to study mechanical engineering for free and from the comfort of your home is something no interested student should miss. That is why Academic Related has taken on the stress of compiling a list of free online mechanical engineering programs. In the course of reading, you will gain insight into what each course entails and what should be known by the end of the free.
What is a Mechanical Engineer?
Mechanical engineering is the study, development, construction, and testing of mechanical and thermal sensors and devices, including tools, engines, and machines. Mechanical engineering careers center on creating technologies to meet various human needs.
Mechanical engineering subjects include automobile engineering, manufacturing engineering, power plant engineering, thermal engineering, and mechatronics engineering, a combination of electrical, computer, and mechanical engineering.
What do mechanical engineers do? Mechanical engineers generally work in offices but are sometimes called to the field, visiting work sites when a problem or piece of equipment needs their attention and overseeing construction elements. Mechanical engineers work primarily in engineering services, research and development, and manufacturing.
Jobs in Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical engineers typically need a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or mechanical engineering technology. All states require mechanical engineers who sell services to the public to be licensed.
The job outlook for mechanical engineers is bright, primarily because it is such a vast and interdisciplinary field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there will be a projected 9% growth in the mechanical engineering field from 2016 to 2026.
Based on the same report, the median income for mechanical engineers in May 2016 was $84,190 per year, with job prospects most abundant for those who stay up to speed on developments in this ever-evolving field.
Currently, a search for mechanical engineering jobs on Indeed.com yields over 50,000 results, with 31,812 open positions costing $70,000 or more.
- Best Schools for Aerospace Engineering
- Free online Courses for Developing Countries
- Free Online Courses from Harvard University
- Short Courses in Nigeria
- 10 Best Online Photography Courses
1. Introduction to Engineering Mechanics
This free online course for mechanical engineering is an introduction to learning and applying the principles required to solve engineering mechanics problems. This course will apply concepts from previous courses you have taken in basic math and physics. The course addresses the modeling and analysis of static equilibrium problems, emphasizing real-world engineering applications and problem-solving.
2. Modeling and Simulation of Multibody Systems
This free online mechanical engineering course aims to acquire you with the modeling and simulation of complex articulated mechanical systems, denoted as multibody systems, such as vehicles, merry-go-rounds, bicycles, cranes, human bodies, suspensions, robot manipulators, mechanical transmissions, etc.
3. Fundamentals of Fluid Power
Fluid power has the highest power density of all conventional power-transmission technologies. Learn the benefits and limitations of fluid power, how to analyze fluid power components and circuits, and how to design and simulate fluid power circuits for applications.
This free online course for mechanical engineering majors will introduce you to the fundamental principles and analytical modeling of fluid power components, circuits, and systems.
4. CAD and Digital Manufacturing Specialization
The future of making is here, bringing radical changes in how things are designed, made, and used, and it’s disrupting every industry. With the right knowledge and tools, this disruption is your opportunity—whether you’re an entrepreneur, designer, or engineer.
Today’s dominant technology trends—cloud computing, mobile technology, social connection, and collaboration—drive businesses and consumers to explore different ways to design, make, and use things. This kind of industry transformation has happened before, but the pace of change is now much faster.
You might find this interesting: 20+ Free Online Courses for Kids | Learn Online for Free
5. Robotics: Dynamics and Control
Flying drones or robot manipulators accomplish heavy-duty tasks with considerable forces and torques not covered by a pure robot kinematics framework. Learn how to formulate dynamics problems and design appropriate control laws.
In this free online course for mechanical engineering majors, part of the Robotics MicroMasters program, you will learn how to develop dynamic models of robot manipulators, mobile robots, and drones (quadrotors) and how to design intelligent controls for robotic systems that can grasp and manipulate objects.
6. Engineering Mechanics
Are you interested in improving your mechanics or introducing yourself to the subject? Join our unique course, devised by the Ural Federal University. You will receive the basic traditional material through our innovative approach by engaging in practically oriented tasks and learning basic concepts through strictly theoretical mathematical analysis.
7. Advanced Machining Processes
This course on ‘Advanced Machining Processes’ is also known as “Unconventional Machining Processes,” “Modern Machining Processes,” and “New Technology.” It deals with the latest machining processes called “Advanced Machining Processes.” They have been divided into three parts:
- Part 1 deals with advanced mechanical machining processes such as ultrasonic, water jet, and abrasive water jet. It also includes micro-/nano-finishing processes viz, abrasive flow finishing, magnetic abrasive finishing, etc.
- Part 2 deals with thermal machining processes, such as electric discharge, laser beam, electron beam, etc.
- Part 3 elaborates on chemical and electrochemical machining processes. It includes some hybrid machining processes: electrochemical grinding, electric discharge grinding, and others.
8. Advanced Strength of Materials
- Stress and Strains in 3-D – Cauchy formula, Principal Stress, hydrostatic stress, deviatoric stress, stress transformations, Mohr circle, octahedral shear stress, strain energy densities, etc.
- Theories of failure.
- Beam on elastic foundations.
- Bending of curved beams – Crane Hooks & Chains.
- Torsion of Non-circular members, hollow members, thin-walled sections; Membrane Analogy.
- Columns – Straight & initially curved columns, Rankine formula.
- Energy Methods – Energy Theorems, Use of energy theories for calculating deflections, twists, and solutions to torsion (non-circular) problems.
- Unsymmetrical bending, shear center.
- Introduction to Photoelasticity.
Read More: Free Online Courses from Harvard University
9. Aircraft Systems Engineering
In this course, students gain a holistic view of the aircraft system. Topics include the fundamentals of systems engineering; cost and weight estimation; safety and reliability; risk analysis and management; and more.
10. Basic Thermodynamics
Introduction and Fundamental Concepts, Zeroth Law and Fundamental Concepts, Different Kinds of Energy, First Low, First Low, Second Law and Its Corollaries, Second Law, and Available Energy are all covered in this course. Properties of Pure Substances: Joule-Kelvin Expansion, Properties of Pure Substances: Ideal Gases, Vapors Power Cycle, Gas Power Cycle
Find Scholarships to Study Abroad in 2023
Click on any of the following countries to find scholarships.
- Scholarships to study in Canada
- Scholarships to Study in the US
- Scholarships to Study in the UK
- Scholarships to study in Germany
- Scholarships to Study in Australia
To find more scholarships in 2023, visit our scholarship search engine at https://academicrelated.com
11. Biomicroelectromechanical Systems
During the last several decades, microsystems research mainly addressed electromechanical systems, but in recent years, the focus has shifted to bio-microelectromechanical systems (BioMEMS). This shift is driven primarily by the microsystems’ potential applications to chemistry, biology, and medicine.
This free online course would be relevant for mechanical engineering, manufacturing science, fluidic stream graduate students, and some senior undergraduate students.
12. Computational Fluid Dynamics
Introduction to Computational Fluid Dynamics and Principles of Conservation: Continuity Equation, Navier Stokes Equation, Energy Equation and General Structure of Conservation Equations, Classification of Partial Differential Equations and Physical Behaviour, etc.
- Design of Machine Elements I
- Dynamics of Machines
- Finite Element Method
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat and Mass Transfer
- Kinematics of Machines
- Manufacturing Processes II
- Mechanical Vibrations
- Micro and Smart Systems
- Refrigeration and Airconditioning
- Solar Energy Technology
- Symmetry, Structure, and Tensor Properties of Materials
- Understanding Lasers and Fiberoptics
- Vibration of Structures
From the Editor’s Desk: University of Pennsylvania Free Online Courses
What are the Advantages of Free Online Mechanical Engineering Courses with a Certificate?
- Students have the luxury of studying from home.
- Online courses usually cost less than offline programs.
- You earn a certificate after you have completed the course from a school abroad.
- The certificate from the online engineering course would be a great hype to your resume.
What are the Disadvantages of Studying Mechanical Engineering from home?
- Most organizations do not value the certificate obtained from an online mechanical engineering course.
- Students do not get the opportunity to interact with each other
- Online courses lack the practical experience mechanical engineering students need
- The leverage of studying from home can make students lazy and take the class seriously.
Conclusion: Free Online Mechanical Engineering Courses
As the years go by, there will be an increase in the demand for mechanical engineers with the rapid technological improvements, so there is no better time to take a free online engineering course in Mechanical engineering.
I would advise you to take advantage of these courses to earn a certificate in mechanical engineering in less than three months, almost for free.