Fulbright Scholarship Program for Nigerians 2020/2021
The Fulbright Scholarship Program for Nigerians 2020-2021; The scholarship program will be taken in the USA. Get full details below.
What you need to know about the Fulbright Scholarship 2020
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program (formerly Fulbright JSD) is a non-degree program funded by the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C. and administered by the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York.
The program is designed primarily to strengthen the capacities of African universities through higher degree training and to develop the potential of their academic staff. It is targeted at young and exceptionally promising faculty members who wish to conduct their doctoral research in the United States.
Eligible Level/Fields of Study
The Scholarship is designed for Students pursuing their doctoral and Research program in any choice Course.
Applicants must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline at a Nigerian university or research institute at the time of application. However, preference will be given to those applicants in the areas of natural and social sciences, arts, and humanities.
The Fulbright Scholarship Program for Nigerian Students is taken and hosted in the USA.
However, if you wish to study in Canada, read this >> Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2019-2020.
Don’t ever forget that the entire team of Academic Related have you at heart and will always provide you with latest and updated information on scholarships, study abroad programs, free online schools, etc.
The Fulbright Scholarship Program is only available to Nigerian Students.
However, there are numerous international scholarships for international students to study in any country of choice.
You can check this our heavily recommended post ”How to Study Abroad for Free in 2019-2020”.
The award covers the candidate’s J-1 visa, round trip airfare to the U.S., a settling-in allowance, professional allowance, monthly stipend, housing allowance, books-and-supplies allowance, and computer allowance.
It will also cover basic university health insurance as primary insurance coverage and the Fulbright ASPE health benefit as secondary coverage and travel of one dependent if he/she will stay with the grantee for at least 80% of the grant period and the dependent allowance.
Fulbright Scholarship 2020 Eligibility
- Applicants must be citizens or nationals of Nigeria, or permanent residents holding a valid passport issued by the government of Nigeria.
- Applicants must be doctoral students and have the endorsement of their home institution.
- Applicants must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline.
- Applicants must have an outstanding academic record and a high level of English proficiency.
- Applicants must meet a minimum score of 100 in the internet-based TOEFL test.
- Applicants must have high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home.
- Only applicants with strong proposals, outlining their research objectives, methodology, time-frame, and justification for conducting the research in the U.S. will be short-listed for interviews.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not studied in the U.S.
- Applicants in business, law and accounting should understand that most U.S. institutions rarely accept research students in these fields due to the high demand for full-time programs and tuition concerns. As a consequence, we face great challenges in finding placements for such grantees unless their proposals are tilted toward economics, development-related areas, democracy, human rights and conflict resolution.
Applicants are advised to read the instructions preceding the application carefully and seek the assistance of senior colleagues who are Fulbright alumni before they commence to fill in the forms.
How to Apply for Fulbright Scholarship for Nigerian Students 2019
All applicants must fill out the online application forms completely and attach their supporting documents online (3 academic and professional references, Curriculum Vitae, academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended and writing sample.)
ONLY online applications are accepted. Interested applicants can apply online
The Nigerian student Fulbright scholarship 2020 application deadline is on the 1st of June 2020. During the time of this update, the scholarship application is yet to start.
EDITOR’S RECOMMENDED POSTS
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this article.
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2020-2021 for Developing Countries [$50,000](Opens in a new browser tab)
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarships 2020-2021 for Developing Countries
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme 2020 in UK (Fully Funded)(Opens in a new browser tab)
- Adelaide Scholarships International 2020-2021 in Australia(Opens in a new browser tab)
- Boston University Presidential Scholarship 2020-2021 for International Students in the USA
- Latest Scholarships in Nigeria 2019-2020 for Nigerian Students
We hope this article helped you determine what you searched or looking for. You may also like some of our recommended posts above.
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2019 and 2020.