The Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme 2021 for a study in the UK is currently ongoing. The scholarship programme is open to international students all over the world. The team academicrelated.com have carefully compiled all you need to know about this Bill Gates Scholarship Programme. Please read through all pages to find out if you are eligible, how to apply and full details about the scholarship.
What is the Gates Cambridge Scholarship
The Cambridge Gates Scholarship Programme was established in October 2000 with a donation of US$210 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge. This is the biggest donation ever made to a British university.
The aim of the Gates Cambridge programme is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
What You Need to Know About Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2021
For 2021 entry, Gates Cambridge will offer 80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to PhD students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
The selection criteria are:
- outstanding intellectual ability
- reasons for choice of course
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- leadership potential
Who Can Apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme 2021?
In order to find out the qualified candidates for this Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2021, you have to pay adequate attention to the following information below.
Level/Field of Study
The Bill and Melinda gates scholarship 2021 will be organised and taken at Cambridge University UK. You can as well, check these UK scholarships for international students;
The Bill Gates Scholarship 2021 is open to international students who want to study in the UK. Check other scholarships you can apply below if this doesn’t work out for you.
Gate Cambridge Scholarship Value/Worth
The Bill Gates Scholarship for international students is a fully-funded scholarship, that is to say; it covers all tuition fees, expenses, accommodation and so many more.
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is one of the most generous international scholarships available. It covers the following costs:
- the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate*
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,500 for 12 months at the 2020-21 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
The Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for a first child and up to £4,320 for a second child (2020-21 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your PhD (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
What is the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Requirements?
To be considered as a Gates Cambridge Scholar in the UK, you have to meet the following eligibility standard.
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- One year postgraduate course (with some exceptions
Courses which are NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
How Gates Cambridge Scholars are Selected
Gates Cambridge uses a three-stage selection process to ensure Scholars meet all of our criteria to the highest degree.
1. Departmental ranking
Gates Cambridge asks academic departments in Cambridge to score and nominate eligible applicants. Those who are put forward by departments (a small proportion of the total applicant pool) are considered the most academically outstanding applicants the department has received that year, who also meet the other Gates Cambridge criteria.
Once Gates Cambridge has a list of nominated candidates from departments, these are divided into broad subject areas and passed to our Shortlisting Committees.
These Committees look at the candidates’ entire application pack (including the Gates Cambridge Statement and Reference) and use Gates Cambridge criteria to identify those who should be invited for an interview.
Everyone who is shortlisted for interview will have gone through an exceptionally competitive process and will show evidence of meeting all criteria to a high level.
All shortlisted candidates are interviewed to assess how they meet all Gates Cambridge criteria and Scholars are selected after the interview. More details are available from the interview page.
Bill Gates Scholars interview Section
If you are shortlisted for interview you will have already gone through an incredibly competitive process.
You will be invited for a 20-25 minute interview and, depending on where you are, you can interview either in person or by Skype. Where you are able to attend the interview in person we encourage this.
There are four broadly subject-based interview panels:
Each three to four-person panel usually consists of academics, a representative of the Trust and Gates Cambridge alumni. Each interview has four main sections:
1. Welcome and introduction
The Chair will introduce the panel, set out the format of the interview, and provide any other essential information to allow for a productive session.
2. Gates Cambridge
– What you know about the Gates Cambridge Scholarships
– Your motivation for applying
– Why you think you could be a Gates Cambridge Scholar
– Your thoughts on the opportunities and responsibilities that a prestigious, full-cost scholarship at one of the world’s leading universities brings
3. Academic and career plans
– Your academic work to date – can you convincingly communicate your passion for, and the importance of, your chosen subject?
– Your proposed degree at Cambridge – can you provide a convincing justification for your choice of course?
– You will be asked about your career plans – can you convincingly link your application for both a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and your proposed course at Cambridge to your future career plans?
– You may also be asked probing intellectual or ethical questions, to which there are no ‘right’ answers.
4. Final thoughts and any questions you might have.
A chance to add anything further you would like the interview panel to consider, and to ask any questions you may have (having no questions to ask is also fine).
How to Apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarship 2021
Apply for admission to a postgraduate degree, a College place and various sources of funding (including Gates Cambridge) via the University’s Graduate Applicant Portal.
For the majority of courses, you can apply for admission and multiple funding opportunities (including Gates Cambridge) at www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Deadline
The scholarship deadline is divided into two rounds, first-round which ends on 9 October 2020 and Second round, 7 January 2021
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Application
You can start your scholarship application from the application link below.
Join Our Whatsapp Group for Scholarship Updates
If you want to be getting our scholarship update, join our whatsapp group.
How the group works
- The group is locked for only admin to be posting
- Information will be posted to the group not more than 4 times a week