Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Governance Officer (Nigerian Nationals Only)
Ref No: 200000LS
Job: Program Management
Job Type: Full-time
- CRS’ Nigeria office is implementing a 2-year, Germany government project entitled, “Stabilization and Reconciliation in the Lake Chad Region (STaR)” in the North East of Nigeria. Through programming in agriculture & livelihoods, social cohesion, community infrastructure and local governance, the project is intended to contribute to the stabilization and reconciliation in the most affected regions of the Lake Chad Basin namely Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in Nigeria, Diffa in Niger and, the Lake Region in Chad.
- The Governance Officer will be responsible for the delivery of the local governance component of the STaR project in target locations in Yobe state.
- This will include providing technical advice, overseeing the activities of implementing partners on governance trainings, and working with government ministries and department agencies (MDAs) and communities to establish / strengthen governance structures.
- S / he will lead the partner team on assessment of local government (LGA) capacities, and development and implementation of organizational development plans. Working closely with the Social Cohesion Officer/Assistants, other governance officers, the Governance Officer will ensure that local government entities are involved in peacebuilding activities and are linked to community disaster risk reduction activities.
- This position requires close interaction with community members and local governance structures.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
Project Implementation and Technical Support:
- Lead STaR governance assessments ensuring quality data collection tools, adherence to high international standards in capturing governance data, robust analysis of data and iterative use of information / recommendations from governance assessments to positively impact STaR performance.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance in planning and implementation of governance activities of STaR in the Northeast Region of Nigeria as detailed in the proposal documentation (narrative, log frame, workplan and budget).
- Support to identify technical support needs of partners and facilitate capacity building trainings and other supports to program partners on social accountability.
- Support engagement with local governments, community members, and displaced communities on activities to improve local governance and service delivery, as well as advance peace-building initiatives.
- Deliver governance trainings for MDAs and community structures such as ward and village development committees.
- Lead the establishment and strengthening of communities’ and MDAs governance structures including at the village, ward and LGA levels.
Coordination and Representation:
- Under the technical supervision of the Governance Advisor, represent STaR and support coordination aimed at ensuring STaR contributes to the overall delivery of CRS’ strategies in Nigeria.
- Work closely with other STaR and CRS staff to liaise with community members, including displaced communities to draft community led Disaster Risk management plans, Local Economic Development plans incorporating peace message.
- Support efforts to liaise with other governance projects particularly PERL (funded by DFID and implemented by the PERL consortium) and the GIZ, Germany Government-funded projects to standardize approaches, minimize duplications and work towards a common goal.
- Support other components to ensure coordination of CRS activities with various government stakeholders in the state ministries departments and Agencies.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL):
- In coordination with the MEAL Officer, Support timely and quality capturing of MEAL data on governance project component.
- Ensure timely completion of project performance tools including detailed implementation plans (DIPs) and indicator tracking tables (ITT) as it relates to Governance activities and deliverables.
- Provide regular (using standardized formats) and ad hoc reporting on implementation to the STaR leadership, CRS Nigeria leadership and the donor as directed.
- Contribute to ensuring accountability to project beneficiaries and local stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sociology, Political Science or any other related field
- 4 years of work or volunteer experience in community development and mobilization.
- Additional education may substitute for some experience.
- Computer skills required.
- Required Languages – English, Hausa,
- Travel – Must be willing to travel up to 75 %.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good time management skills with ability to work on multiple tasks
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Excellent organization, planning and analytical skills; detail oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated strength in relationship management
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Program Manager II, Governance Advisor, Governance Officer – Yola, Social Cohesion Officer / Assistant Livelihoods Officer, Infrastructure Officer/Assistant, MEAL Officer/Assistant and SILC Officer/assistant, Yobe Head of Office
- External: Government ministries Departments and agencies, Local and International NGOs, coordination platforms and working groups, community leaders
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Before you apply, it is very important you learn the following;
- East tips on how to write a motivation letter
- Why you Need a Good CV and Cover Letter
- 27 Easy Tips on How to Prepare for an Interview
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- EOE / M / F / D / V -CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.CRS’™ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.