Creating logos, designing magazines, brochures or fliers are all part of the job description of a graphics designer.
As a graphics designer, you may decide to work permanently for an organization or temporarily as a freelancer.
Whatever you decide, this article contains a full graphics designer job description guide.
Considering how many businesses are going online and how busy everyone is, graphics designers are indispensable.
As part of their duties and responsibilities, they disseminate information in the easier form.
Who is a graphics designer?
A graphics designer or graphics artist uses computer or mobile software to design graphics for media.
They create logos, fliers, brochures, labels, billboards, business cards, mock ups and practically any form of branding.
A good graphics designer should be able to pass necessary information using visuals.
Like I said before everyone is busy, and may not have time to read long articles.
But a good graphics designer is able to create captivating and engaging graphics that still pass every necessary information.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a graphics designer?
- Attend meetings with clients to properly discuss the concept or idea behind the project.
- Use computer born mobile software to create captivating designs.
- Design professional and engaging visual contents aimed at passing information.
- Willingly make necessary adjustments to designs as demanded by the client.
- Evaluate designs to correct errors before printing or publications.
- Help in the company or product branding
- Convert writing or spoken data into visual contents.
- Work as a team with public relations and advertising sectors or firms.
- Determine the proper arrangement of texts, images, and colours in a print or web page.
- Define a budget for a project.
- Mockup designs.
- First Bank of Nigeria Recruitment 2022 (11 Positions)
- Data Monetization Associate at First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- Data Monetization Business Analyst at First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- Team Lead, Data Analytics at First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- Team Lead, Application and Network Control at First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- Business Manager – Public Sector Group at First Bank of Nigeria Limited
What qualifications are required to become a graphics designer?
Although not mandatory, a degree in design or fine art is advantageous.
Good knowledge on how to use different graphics designer softwares, such as Photoshop or coreldraw.
Just like every other job out there most clients prefer to work with people with a level of experience.
These experiences can be obtained by practicing for no job in particular and uploading on social media for criticism.
Another important qualification required to become a graphics designer is the ability to use text fonts appropriately.
Apart from the use of text fronts, a good graphics designer should also be able to combine colors well.
To improve your qualification, you can take up some online courses on graphics design.
Udemy provides a variety of online course that you may be able to Dom
Such courses take about 3-6 months to complete.
What is a freelance graphics designer job description?
Freelance graphics designers do not have to work as a permanent staff in any organization.
They are only contacted when their services are required.
The common activities of a freelance graphics designer are:
- Soliciting for clients.
- Coming up with innovative ideas.
- Discussing price with clients.
- Make sure all contracts are completed before the given deadline.
- Improving technical know-how on the use of design softwares.
While writing a resume for graphics design, you may want to include:
- Some of your experiences
- Your qualifications
- Ability to use different graphics design softwares.
- Your skills.
There are a variety of sites where a freelance graphics designer can put up his/her resume.
Up work, freelancer,fiver are some of those platforms.
Different countries have different sites that may be peculiar to their location.
What are the skills and personalities that suit a graphics designer?
So far, you can tell that the job of a graphics designer is not just for everyone.
Not all of us know how to combine colors for our outfit, talk more of creating a design from scratch.
Some of the skills to improve on if you intend to become a good graphics designer are properly explained below.
If you are an employer who is seeking a graphics designer, here are some skills to look out for.
1.Time management skills
As a good graphics designer, sometimes you may have so many designs to create with limited time.
Therefore you must be able to manage time effectively if you must meet up with deadlines.
Any form of delay may delay a whole project and result in losing clients.
Combining colours, fronts, images, texts and shapes all on one design does require creativity.
Being creative is a very important in born skill a good graphics designer should have.
It’s importance cannot be over emphasized.
As a good graphics designer or graphics artist, you must be able to think outside the box if you must create original content.
After presenting a design, you may receive so much criticism.
Without considering the time you put into designing, your clients may outrightly reject it.
All of these can be very annoying, but you must be open hearted to receive constructive criticism.
Observe that I said constructive criticism, throw negative criticism away and stay self motivated.
Whether you work as a freelancer or not, you should be able to properly communicate the technical and non technical aspect of graphics design.
5. Negotiations skills
This skill is a must have for all freelancers. Whether graphics design, web development or whatever.
If you will close favorable contacts with clients, you must negotiate well.
I can’t draw, can I still become a graphics designer?
Although being able to draw may be advantageous, it is not necessary.
Whether you can draw or not, you can still make a great graphics designer.
But, being able to make sample sketches of your design may make designing much more easy.
Where do graphics designers work?
Organizations and individuals are now understanding the importance of branding.
Of course branding relies greatly on graphics designers.
With these increases in the number of people who require the services of a graphics designer.
There has also been an increase in employers of graphics designers. Some of these employers are:
- Advertising agencies
- Social media agencies
- Branding agencies
- Magazine, book and flier publishers
- Religious bodies
- Private organizations
Individuals may also require the services of a graphics designer to make a variety of designs, just like birthday cards
How much do graphics designers earn?
Most graphics designers do the job out of love, being able to convert this passion into money is a goal.
Your pay as a graphics designer depends on a lot of factors.
Some of these factors include location, client, skills, experience and qualification.
According to www.shillingtoneducatio.com, in New York city, the average yearly income of a junior graphics designer is about $43,317.
But that of a senior graphics designer is about $71,127
Obviously, you can tell that experience and qualification plays a vital role in determining your pay.
The figures above differ depending on location.
Graphics designers in less developed countries may earn less than their colleagues in more developed countries.
What are the different types of graphics designers?
A lot of people may not know these, but there are a variety of career paths in graphics design.
Some of these are:
- Fashion designer
- Surface pattern designer
- UX/UI design
- Wedding card designer
- Letterpress printer
- Game designer
- Web designer
- Mockup designer
- 3D illustration
- Book cover designer
Being skilled in more than one of these aspects of graphics designers is a plus.
Is graphics design a good career?
Since you have read this article up to this extent, I believe you now understand the job description of a graphics designer.
If you also have a passion for designing and have the necessary skill, then why not?.
Graphics design is an awesome career path.
Here are some reasons why you should certainly consider a career path in graphics designing.
- As you keep creating more designs, you keep learning.
- With the direction the world is headed, the services of a graphics designer will always be required.
- As a graphics designer, you will be privileged to work as a team with others.
- Especially if you are a freelancer, you will not have to always wear formal or corporate clothes or attire.
- There is this wonderful satisfaction that comes with seeing your work being published or used.
- Your experiences in life can become an inspiration for designing.
No doubt, graphics design is an interesting career path.
Conclusion: graphics designer job description guide
Whether you are a graphics designer seeking for a career path in graphics design.
Or an employer seeking for a graphics designer job description guide template.
I believe this article has answered all your possible questions.
Other job description guides include
- What is the Job Description of a Teacher
- What is the Job Description of a Secretary?
- What is the Job Description of a Software Engineer?
- What is the Job Description of a Logistics Coordinator?
- What is the Job Description of a Dermatologist?
- What is the Job Description of a Flight Attendant?
- What is the Job Description of an Event Planner?
- What is the Job Description of a Physical Therapist?
- What is the Job Description of a Vet Tech?
- What is the Job Description of a Hotel Manager?
- What is the Job Description of a Barrister?
- What is the Job Description of a Zoologist?