It’s no longer news that the health sector of the whole world has been threatened, this has lead to an increase in the need of workers in the health sector, the pharmacy technician notwithstanding. Therefore we have strategically put together this article not just to enlighten you but to give you a guide on how to become a Pharmacy technician in 2020.
As you read on, you will be enlightened on who a Pharmacy Tech is, the job description of a Pharmacy Tech, how to become a Pharmacist Tech, the average salary of a Pharmacy Tech and the requirements required to become certified as a Pharmacy Tech in 2020.
Let’s journey together to be enlightened !!!
- Free Online Courses at Yale University in 2020-2021
- Free Online Courses with Certificate of Completion
- Best Schools for Aerospace Engineering, 2020
- Free online Courses for Developing Countries in 2020-2021
- Free Online Courses from Harvard University in 2020-2021
- Short Courses in Nigeria 2020-2021
- 10 Best Online Photography Courses in 2020-2021
Get access to over 1000 free online courses
- Read Also
- WHAT IS THE JOB DESCRIPTION OF A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN?
- STEPS TO BECOME A PHARMACIST TECHNICIAN
- TOP BEST PHARMACY TECHNICIAN SCHOOLS
- National University College
- Florida Vocational Institute
- Manhattan Institute
- San Joaquin Valley College-Visalia
- Mountainland Technical College
- Columbus State Community College
- Cleveland Clinic’s School of Pharmacy Technology
- Cerritos College
- Pima Medical Institute-Chula Vista
- Salt Lake Community Colleg
- Find Out
- HOW MUCH DOES PHARMACY TECHNICIAN SCHOOL COST?
- HOW MUCH DOES A PHARMACIST TECHNICIAN EARN?
- DO I NEED TO BE LICENSED OR CERTIFIED AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN?
- HOW DO I GET CERTIFIED AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN?
- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BECOME A CERTIFIED PHARMACY TECHNICIAN?
- ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFICATION
- EDITORS RECOMMENDATION
WHAT IS THE JOB DESCRIPTION OF A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN?
The job description of a pharmacy technician depends on the institution or organization of practice. To that effect, it’s expedient you know that a pharmacist tech can work in a Hospital, a Pharmacy outlet, Mail-order pharmacies, Chain drugstores, Big-box retailers, Wholesale druggists, such as Costco and Independent Drugstores.
Pharmacy technicians work under the supervision of a pharmacist to dispense prescription and over the counter medication to customers or health professionals. They also assemble medicines for prescriptions and provide information about medications. They work in a hospital pharmacy or retail pharmacy under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist.
Furthermore, a pharmacist tech can also be disposed to accepting written prescriptions or refill requests from patients and evaluating information for completeness and accuracy. Recording medical histories while maintaining confidentiality and compliance with HIPAA regulations. Delivering quality customer service to patients, responding to inquiries, questions, or requests, and referring them to the pharmacist for medical information. Verifying the accuracy of patient information, Counting prescription medication, filling prescriptions, and typing and attaching medication labels and Performing inventory audits and purchasing supplies and medication.
So of you have analysed who a Pharmacist Technician is and you believe you have the tendency to commit to studying it effectively then read on to know to processes involved to become a Pharmacist Technician.
STEPS TO BECOME A PHARMACIST TECHNICIAN
Just like other course of studies, there are processes or steps required to be trained and certified for practice. Becoming a Pharmacist Technician requires study, therefore if you follow these steps outlined you will become a certified Pharmacist Technician who can practice in any country of the world. The steps include;
- Have a genuine interest in pharmaceuticals and the medicines that facilitate health and recovery from illness. (In other words, Love biology, chemistry and math, desire to assist patients with medications and have the ability to communicate with people from a wide range of backgrounds)
- Find the best, accredited, program in which to learn pharmacy tech (Choose between an online or campus program, Ensure that the program includes an internship also Research student success in passing the PTCB exam for national certification)
- Successfully complete either the certificate program or degree.
- Complete an externship to gain experience in a real-world pharmacy.
- Form contacts in the industry.
- Develop the instincts needed to succeed as a professional.
- Apply to a pharmacy environment that best suits your particular interests.
Following these steps sequentially, you will become a pharmacist Technician. You should also know that the duration of study depends on programme type and school. You might want to check out affordable schools that trains students to become a Pharmacist Technician.
TOP BEST PHARMACY TECHNICIAN SCHOOLS
Here’s a list of best pharmacy schools in the world with their links for clarification.
National University College
It is located at Calle Manuel Pérez Avilés, Arecibo, 00612, Puerto Rico. Use the link for more details http://www.nuc.edu/
Florida Vocational Institute
It is located at 3520 Enterprise Way, Miramar, Florida. To know more click on the link https://www.fvi.edu/
Manhattan Institute is located at 45 West 34th St, New York, NY. Use the link for more information https://www.manhattaninstitute.edu/
San Joaquin Valley College-Visalia
This University is located at 8344 W Mineral King Ave, Visalia, CA 9329. Visit the University website using the link https://www.ucl.ac.uk/eastman/
Mountainland Technical College
It’s located at 1410 W 1250 S, Orem Utah. Website link https://mtec.edu/programs/
Columbus State Community College
It’s located at 550 East Spring St. Columbus, OH 43215, website https://www.cscc.edu
Cleveland Clinic’s School of Pharmacy Technology
This school of Pharmacy is located 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44195. Website https://my.clevelandclinic.org/
It’s located at 11110 Alondra Blvd, Norwalk, California 90650. Website https://www.cerritos.edu/
Pima Medical Institute-Chula Vista
This institution is located at Western Part of the United States. Website https://pmi.edu/
Salt Lake Community Colleg
Located at 4600 South Redwood Road, Salt Lake City, UT 84123. Website https://www.slcc.edu/
HOW MUCH DOES PHARMACY TECHNICIAN SCHOOL COST?
Most pharmacy technician certification programs cost anywhere from $500 to $5,000. Associate’s degrees that cost $10,000 to $25,000 are also available in the field.
HOW MUCH DOES A PHARMACIST TECHNICIAN EARN?
The salary of a Pharmacist Technician depends on location, certification and experience. You do not expect to earn same amount as a pharmacist tech who has been in the business for over 5 to 10 years.
- For the entry level pharmacist technician, the hourly rate for a beginning pharmacy technician with no training or experience will typically range from $10 to $11 per hour.
- Certified pharmacy technicians can expect to earn $10.00 – $16.00 depending on their experience, education and employer type.
- Certified pharmacy technicians (CPHT) with at least five years of experience can expect to earn between $14.00 and $18.00 per hour.
General the pay can be summarized thus;
- Hospitals $36,710
- General Stores $31,320
- Food/Beverage Stores$29,860
- Pharmacies/Drug stores$29,500
DO I NEED TO BE LICENSED OR CERTIFIED AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN?
There can be a bit of confusion as to the difference between pharmacy technician licensure and certification. The state in which you want to work will regulate whether you need to be licensed.
A licensed pharmacy technician meets the state’s requirements to work in a pharmacy. Licensure is the process by which an agency of government grants an individual permission to work as a pharmacy technician since the applicant has attained the minimum competency necessary to conduct the work in the industry.
A certified pharmacy technician meets a non-governmental agency’s requirements and passes a national exam to obtain certification. Certification designates that the individual has attained the necessary level of knowledge, skill, and/or experience in an area.
So depending on the location of practice you might need a license or a certificate or both. You have to make a research to that stead once you choose a location for practice.
HOW DO I GET CERTIFIED AS A PHARMACY TECHNICIAN?
There are typically two ways to prepare for a national certification exam for pharmacy technicians. Either through formal education, whether in-person or online, or purchase a study guide and sample test.
In most situations, formal education will be the better route but will cost you some money. No matter which exam you pursue, PTCE or ExCPT, having a strong education and deep knowledge of the profession under your belt will greatly help you in successfully passing the exam and starting you off on the right path in your exciting new career. Usually the pharmacy technician exam cost quite a fortune;
Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) – $129
Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ExCPT) – $117
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO BECOME A CERTIFIED PHARMACY TECHNICIAN?
Most schools require a high school diploma or GED as a prerequisite, and individual schools might have additional requirements. Programs range from as little as 15 weeks to as long as two years, awarding a certificate, diploma or associate degree.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR CERTIFICATION
- Completion of a PTCB-Recognized Education/Training Program or equivalent work experience
- Full disclosure of all criminal and State Board of Pharmacy registration or licensure actions
- Compliance with all applicable PTCB Certification policies
- Passing score on the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam® (PTCE®)
I do believe this article was very helpful and enlightening. So whether you have wanted to become a pharmacy technician for a while or are just beginning to study the position. You will soon discover that there are a handful of benefits that begin even before you start your career. Good luck
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this post.
- Federal Government Scholarships 2020-2021 for Undergraduates and Postgraduates
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2020-2021 for Developing Countries [$50,000]
- Fully Funded Youth Opportunities for Africans 2020
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship 2020-2021 for Developing Countries (Masters & PhD)
- Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for International Adoptees 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for Public Health in UK for International Students 2020-2021
- University of Toronto Acceptance/Admission Rate 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for People who have Lost a Parent 2020-2021
- 15 Scholarships for People with Disabilities 2020-2021
- 35+ Schools with Low Tuition Fees in Canada
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2020 and 2021.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content to your families and friends.