If you are thinking about how to become a pharmacy technician in 2023, then you are in the right place today.
It’s no longer news that the health sector of the whole world has been threatened; this has led to an increase in the need for workers in the health sector, the pharmacy technician notwithstanding.
As a result, we have crafted this article to enlighten you and provide you with a guide to becoming a pharmacy technician in 2023.
As you read, you will be enlightened on who a pharmacy tech is, the job description of a pharmacy tech, how to become a pharmacy tech, the average salary of a pharmacy tech, and the requirements required to become certified as a Pharmacy Tech in 2023.
Let’s journey together to be enlightened !!!
- Read Also
- What is the Job Description of a Pharmacy Technician?
- Steps to Become a Pharmacist Technician
- Top Best Pharmacy Technician Schools
- How Much Does Pharmacy Technician School Cost?
- How Much Does a Pharmacist Technician Earn?
- Do I Need to be Licensed or Certified as a Pharmacy Technician?
- How Do I Get Certified as a Pharmacy Technician?
- How Long does it take to Become a Certified Pharmacy Technician?
- Eligibility Requirements for Certification
- Is a Pharmacy Tech a Good Career?
- Conclusion: How To Become a Pharmacy Technician
- Editor’s Recommendation
- Free Online Courses at Yale University
- Free Online Courses with Certificate of Completion
- Free online Courses for Developing Countries
- Free Online Courses from Harvard University
- Short Courses in Nigeria
- 10 Best Online Photography Courses
Get access to over 1000 free online courses
What is the Job Description of a Pharmacy Technician?
The job description of a pharmacy technician depends on the institution or organization of practice.
To that effect, it’s important that; you know that a pharmacist tech can work in a hospital, a pharmacy outlet, mail-order pharmacies, chain drugstores, big-box retailers, and wholesale druggists, such as Costco and Independent Drugstores.
Pharmacy technicians work under the supervision of a pharmacist to dispense prescription and over-the-counter medications to customers or health professionals. They also assemble medicines for prescriptions and provide information about medications. They work in a hospital pharmacy or retail pharmacy under the direct supervision of a licensed pharmacist.
Furthermore, a pharmacist tech can also be prepared to accept written prescriptions or refill requests from patients and evaluate the information for completeness and accuracy, recording medical histories while maintaining the confidentiality and complying with HIPAA regulations. delivering quality customer service to patients, responding to inquiries, questions, or requests, and referring them to the pharmacist for medical information.
Verifying the accuracy of patient information, Counting prescription medication, filling prescriptions, and typing and attaching medication labels. Performing inventory audits and purchasing supplies and medication.
So if you have analyzed who a pharmacist technician is and believe you tend to commit to studying it effectively, then read on to know the processes involved in becoming a pharmacist Technician.
Steps to Become a Pharmacist Technician
Just like other courses of study, there are processes or steps required to be trained and certified for practice. Becoming a pharmacist technician requires study; therefore, if you follow these steps outlined, you will become a certified pharmacy technician who can practice in any country. The steps include;
- Have a genuine interest in pharmaceuticals and medicines that facilitate health and recovery from illness. (In other words, I love biology, chemistry, and math, desire to assist patients with medications, and can communicate with people from a wide range of backgrounds)
- Find the best, accredited program in which to learn pharmacy tech (Choose between an online or campus program, Ensure that the program includes an internship also, and Research student success in passing the PTCB exam for national certification)
- Complete either the certificate program or degree.
- Complete an externship to gain experience in a real-world pharmacy.
- Form contacts in the industry.
- Develop the instincts needed to succeed as a professional.
- Apply to a pharmacy environment that best suits your particular interests.
Following these steps sequentially, you will become a pharmacy technician. You should also know that the study duration depends on the program type and school. You might want to check out affordable schools that train students to become Pharmacist Technicians.
Top Best Pharmacy Technician Schools
After careful analysis, rankings, reviews, and value offer, we have curated a list of the best Pharmacy Technician schools in 2023.
Here’s a list of the best pharmacy schools worldwide with their links for clarification.
- National University College
- Florida Vocational Institute
- Manhattan Institute
- San Joaquin Valley College-Visalia
- Mountainland Technical College
- Columbus State Community College
- Cleveland Clinic’s School of Pharmacy Technology
- Pima Medical Institute-Chula Vista
- Salt Lake Community Colleg
National University College
It is located at Calle Manuel Pérez Avilés, Arecibo, PR 00612, Puerto Rico. Use the link for more details https://www.nuc.edu.
Florida Vocational Institute
It is located at 3520 Enterprise Way, Miramar, Florida. To know more, click on the link https://www.fvi.edu.
Manhattan Institute is located at 45 West 34th St, New York, NY. Use the link for more information https://www.manhattaninstitute.edu.
San Joaquin Valley College-Visalia
This University is located at 8344 W Mineral King Ave, Visalia, CA 9329. Visit the university website using the link https://www.ucl.ac.uk/eastman.
Mountainland Technical College
It’s located at 1410 W 1250 S, Orem, Utah. Website link https://mtec.edu/programs/
Columbus State Community College
It’s located at 550 East Spring St. Columbus, OH 43215, website https://www.cscc.edu
Cleveland Clinic’s School of Pharmacy Technology
This school of Pharmacy is located at 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44195. Website https://my.clevelandclinic.org/
It’s located at 11110 Alondra Blvd, Norwalk, California 90650. Website https://www.cerritos.edu/
Pima Medical Institute-Chula Vista
This institution is located in the western Part of the United States. Website https://pmi.edu/
Salt Lake Community Colleg
Located at 4600 South Redwood Road, Salt Lake City, UT 84123. Website https://www.slcc.edu/
How Much Does Pharmacy Technician School Cost?
Most pharmacy technician certification programs cost anywhere from $500 to $5,000. Associate’s degrees that cost $10,000 to $25,000 are also available in the field.
How Much Does a Pharmacist Technician Earn?
The salary of a Pharmacist Technician depends on location, certification, and experience. You do not expect to earn the same amount as a pharmacist tech who has been in the business for over 5 to 10 years.
- For the entry-level pharmacist technician, the hourly rate for a beginning pharmacy technician with no training or experience will typically range from $10 to $11 per hour.
- Certified pharmacy technicians can earn $10.00 – $16.00 depending on their experience, education, and employer type.
- Certified pharmacy technicians (CPHT) with at least five years of experience can expect to earn between $14.00 and $18.00 per hour.
General the pay can be summarized thus;
- Hospitals $36,710
- General Stores $31,320
- Food/Beverage Stores$29,860
- Pharmacies/Drug stores$29,500
Do I Need to be Licensed or Certified as a Pharmacy Technician?
There can be some confusion about the difference between pharmacy technician licensure and certification. The state where you want to work will regulate whether you need to be licensed.
A licensed pharmacy technician meets the state’s requirements to work in a pharmacy. Licensure is the process by which an agency of government grants an individual permission to work as a pharmacy technician since the applicant has attained the minimum competency necessary to conduct the work in the industry.
A certified pharmacy technician meets a non-governmental agency’s requirements and passes a national exam to obtain certification. Certification designates that the individual has attained the necessary level of knowledge, skill, and/or experience in an area.
So depending on the location of practice, you might need a license or a certificate, or both. After deciding on a practice location, you must conduct research in that area.
How Do I Get Certified as a Pharmacy Technician?
There are typically two ways to prepare for a national certification exam for pharmacy technicians. Either through formal education, in-person or online or by purchasing a study guide and sample test.
In most situations, formal education will be the better route but will cost you some money. No matter which exam you pursue, PTCE or ExCPT, having a strong education and deep knowledge of the profession will greatly help you pass the exam and start you off on the right path in your exciting new career. Usually, the pharmacy technician exam costs quite a fortune;
Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam (PTCE) – $129
Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ExCPT) – $117
How Long does it take to Become a Certified Pharmacy Technician?
Most schools require a high school diploma or GED as a prerequisite, and individual schools might have additional requirements. Programs range from as little as 15 weeks to as long as two years, awarding a certificate, diploma, or associate degree.
Eligibility Requirements for Certification
- Completion of a PTCB-Recognized Education/Training Program or equivalent work experience
- Full disclosure of all criminal and State Board of Pharmacy registration or licensure actions
- Compliance with all applicable PTCB Certification policies
- Passing score on the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam® (PTCE®)
Is a Pharmacy Tech a Good Career?
Yes, becoming a pharmacy technician is a viable career option. However, people may see a pharmacy tech job as a dead-end job; it is a stable career with really good employment opportunities, which is expected to increase over the years.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for pharmacy technicians are increasing, which is an above-average growth rate.
Conclusion: How To Become a Pharmacy Technician
I do believe this article was very helpful and enlightening. So whether you have wanted to become a pharmacy technician for a while or are just beginning to study the position.
You will soon discover that there are a handful of benefits that begin even before you start your career. So now that you know how to become a pharmacy technician, be kind enough to share this information with friends and family who may need it.
You can check out some of our recommended posts alongside this post.
- Federal Government Scholarships for Undergraduates and Postgraduates
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships for Developing Countries [$50,000]
- Fully Funded Youth Opportunities for Africans
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship for Developing Countries (Masters & PhD)
- Canadian Scholarships for International Students
- 20 Scholarships for International Adoptees
- 20 Scholarships for Public Health in UK for International Students
- University of Toronto Acceptance/Admission Rate
- 20 Scholarships for People who have Lost a Parent
- 15 Scholarships for People with Disabilities
- 35+ Schools with Low Tuition Fees in Canada
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2023 and 2024.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content to your families and friends.