The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: International Consultant: Lead Consultant for the conduct of UNFPA, Nigeria 8th Country Programme (2018-2022) Evaluation – P4
Job ID: 39294
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Level of Post: P4
Contract Type: International Individual Consultant
Duration and Working Schedule: 50 Working Days – Working schedule: Thirty (30) working days from home and twenty (20) working days in the office
Scope of Work
- The Country programme evaluation (CPE) will focus on geographic, thematic and temporal scopes of the CP; and cover both programmatic analysis and strategic positioning analysis.
- It is expected to provide answers to a number of evaluation questions, which are derived from key evaluation criteria of relevance, effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability, while giving particular attention to the humanitarian aspects that the country has faced during the life of the programme.
How You can make a difference:
- UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
- In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
- UNFPA is seeking candidates national of Nigeria that transform, inspire, and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Monitoring of the Evaluation Process:
Consultants are to work closely with the Evaluation Manager/M&E Specialist and provide weekly progress report and feedback to the Deputy Representative by close of business every Monday.
- Weekly narrative result-based progress report
- End of consultancy report
- Attendance records
- End of consultancy assessments
In line with the UNFPA Evaluation Handbook, the Evaluation Manager/M&E Specialist in the UNFPA Nigeria CO will be responsible for the management of the evaluation and supervision of the evaluation team. In line with the Country Office organogram, evaluation manager will oversee the entire process of the evaluation, from the preparation to the facilitation of the use and the dissemination of the evaluation results under the guidance of the Assistant Representative and overall supervision of the Deputy Representative.
- Travel to and from duty station,
- Travel to agreed select destination for data collection, on the basis of necessity and in line with Covid-19 pandemic protocol as well as security situation both globally, nationally and locally.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- The evaluation team leader will hold the overall responsibility for the design and implementation of the evaluation.
- S/he will be responsible for the production and timely submission of all expected deliverables in line with the ToR. S/he will lead and coordinate the work of the evaluation team and ensure the quality of all evaluation deliverables at all stages of the process.
- The Lead consultant will provide methodological guidance to the evaluation team in developing the design report, in particular, but not limited to, defining the evaluation approach, methodology and work plan, as well as the agenda for the field phase.
- S/he will lead the drafting and presentation of the design report and the draft and final evaluation report, and play a leading role in meetings with the ERG and the CO.
- The team leader will also be responsible for communication with the evaluation manager.
- Beyond his/her responsibilities as team leader, the evaluation team leader will serve as technical expert for one of the thematic areas in the detailed terms of reference for the UNFPA, Nigeria 8th Country Programme (2018-2022) Evaluation.
- In addition, the Lead Consultant will lead and work closely with four (4) other consultants in the following thematic areas:
- Gender/Gender Base Violence Specialist
- Integrated Sexual Reproductive Health Specialist
- Population Dynamics Specialist
- A Young Emerging Evaluator
Qualifications and Experience
The competencies, skills and experience of the evaluation team leader should include:
Education and Work Experience:
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Social Sciences, Demography or Population Studies, Statistics, Development Studies or a related field.
- Ten (10) years of experience in conducting or managing evaluations in the field of international development and/or humanitarian action.
- Extensive experience in leading complex evaluations commissioned by United Nations organizations and/or other international organizations and NGOs.
- Demonstrated expertise in one of the thematic areas of programming covered by the evaluation (see profiles below).
- In-depth knowledge of theory-based evaluation approaches and ability to apply both qualitative and quantitative data collection methods and to uphold standards for quality evaluation as defined by UNFPA and UNEG.
- Good knowledge of humanitarian strategies, including humanitarian and development nexus, policies, frameworks and principles as well as the international humanitarian architecture and coordination mechanisms.
- Ability to ensure ethics and integrity of the evaluation process, including confidentiality and prevention of harm to evaluation subjects.
- Ability to consistently integrate human rights and gender perspectives in all phases of the evaluation process.
- Excellent management and leadership skills to coordinate and supervise the work of the evaluation team.
- Ability to supervise a young and emerging evaluator, create an enabling environment for her/his meaningful participation in the work of the evaluation team, and provide guidance and support required to develop her/his capacity.
- Experience working with a multidisciplinary team of experts.
- Excellent ability to analyse and synthesise large volumes of data and information from diverse sources and formulate evidence-based conclusions and realistic and actionable recommendations.
- Excellent communication (written and spoken), facilitation and knowledge-sharing skills.
- Work experience in/good knowledge of the region and the national development context of Nigeria.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Fluent in written and spoken French, Portuguese or Spanish is not essential, but it is desirable.
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing diversity in all its forms
- Embracing change
- Commitment to UNFPA’s Values and Guiding Principles;
- Developing People/Fostering Innovation and Empowerment/Performance Management;
- Team Work/Communication/Self-Management
- Strategic Thinking/Results Orientation and Commitment to Excellence/Decision Making;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Learning
- Conceptual innovation in the provision of technical expertise
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Job knowledge/technical expertise
- Adaptation/application of knowledge in different contexts
- Integration in a multidisciplinary environment
Appliaction Closing Date
27th August, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: A detailed terms of reference on the UNFPA, nigeria 8th country programme (2018 – 2022) evaluation will be shared with selected consultant
You can also check the following
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online While Unemployed
- How to Write a Follow Up Email after Submitting Your Resume
- How to Email a Resume and Cover Letter Attachment
- Top 10 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
- 6 Tips That Will Help You to Get Experience for Your Dream Job
- Online Jobs that require little or no experience
- How To Apply For jobs online | 7 Amazing Tips You Need to Know