If you are looking for a detailed office manager job description guide, then this article is well optimized for you.
This is because, it answers every question employees or individuals who are seeking for the job of an office manager may have.
As part of the job description of an office manager, it is his responsibility to see to the smooth flow of activities in an organization.
An office manager helps to supervise other employees and also ensures that they work at their best.
In addition, he or she may be required to report to the executive assistant or head of department.
The office manager holds a very vital office in an institution.
Therefore while employing, employers should ensure they employ a capable person.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an office manager?
The duties and responsibilities of an office manager are, but not limited to the following.
- Fix appointments and meetings.
- Maintenance of the office environment and calls for repair when necessary.
- Works closely with Human resources to ensure that the office policies are up to date and properly upheld.
- Ensure that all office expenses are recorded appropriately.
- Negotiate the price with vendors, clients and service providers.
- Manage the office budget, and make use of it properly.
- Negotiate with other facility management vendors such as security.
- Issue out queries when necessary.
- Resolve office issues or problems.
- Supervise other staff.
- Ensures organization and safety in the office.
- In charge of maintenance, mailing. Shipping, errands, supplies, equipment and bills.
- Liaise with the IT department on office equipment.
- Maintain a good relationship with vendors, service providers and office lease.
- Evaluate all projects carried out, and also measures them with office standard
- Assign tasks to junior staff and ensure that it is carried out effectively.
- Update office policies.
- Recruit as well as train newly recruited staff.
- Plays a vital role in planning and carrying out office events.
- Place orders for office supplies when required.
Your duties and responsibilities as an office manager may differ depending on the size of the firm and employer.
In some organizations, the role of the office manager is combined with some other offices.
Such office include:
- Human resource assistant
- Company secretary
- Facilities manager
These combinations are in terms of role or duties.
- Fan Milk Plc Job Recruitment (4 Positions)
- Healthcare Nutrition Solutions Representative (Pan Nigeria) at Fan Milk Plc
- Technical Operator – Shrink Wrapper at Fan Milk Plc
- Technical Operator – Bottle Blower at Fan Milk Plc
- Technical Operator at Fan Milk Plc
- MTN Nigeria Job Recruitment 2022 (6 Positions)
What qualifications do I need to become an office manager?
A bachelor’s degree is advantageous. The beautiful thing is that the office manager role is open to graduates in any field.
Although, most employers do not make it mandatory for an office manager to have a degree.
Rather, the look out for the following:
- Proficiency in Microsoft office suite
- Experience in office management
- Great time management and multitasking skills.
- Understanding of accounting,data and administrative management practice.
- Knowledge of human resources management.
- Understanding of business management.
- Keeping the management informed on all office updates
A bachelor’s degree in human resources management will be advantageous though.
Just like any other job other there, most employers prefer employing those with a level of experience.
What skills and personality suit an office manager?
Some of the skills employers look out for when employing or appointing managers are:
For someone whose duties and responsibilities has a lot to do with working with other people.
It is very important to be able to properly communicate all aspects of your jib appropriately.
A good office manager, you should be able to organize things.
You should be able to properly organize yourself, junior staff as well as the office in general.
The ability to make good decisions is very important for an office manager.
As an office manager, you may be required to take important decisions several times.
Such times may include when employing staff and also when resolving disputes.
You should be able to maintain a good relationship.
Not just with the management, but also with junior staff, vendors and service providers.
A good manager should also be able handle problems that may arise in the course of working.
Problems should be handled in such a way that they don’t get out of hand.
From this article on the Job description of an office manager, you can tell that a manager has so much to do.
In order to complete all tasks, as a good manager, you should be able to manage time effectively
The management has entrusted you with so much as a manager.
You should be faithful at all times. And as much as possible, put the office first.
A good office manager should be able to work effectively no matter the working condition.
As a good manager, you should be able to work within a given budget.
You should be able to negotiate properly to get the best services at the most affordable cost.
A good manager should be able to supervise other staffs properly
You must be given to details while supervising.
And ensure that even as Junior staff carry out their responsibilities well, they are also well treated and cared for.
Managers have staff under them, and must possess necessary leadership skills.
Where do office managers work?
All organisations that have a handful of employees require the services of an office manager.
Some of the major employers are:
- Non governmental organizations
- Government organizations
- Private businesses
There are so many platforms on which jobs are advertised.
How much do office managers make?
There are some factors that may determine the pay of an office manager.
Such factors include:
- Type of firm
- Size of firm
Employers may also pay office managers with more experience more than those with little or no experience.
On the average, an office manager makes $51,085 per year in the United States
Of course, this figure differs in other countries.
What should I include in my office manager job description?
When placing adverts for an office manager, here is a list of things you should make clear:
- The qualifications you require.
- How many years of experience is expected.
- The skills you require
- The pay (optional)
This guide on the Job description of an office manager will help you create a perfect advert.
Individuals seeking for the job of manager should also state their qualification, experience and skill clearly on their resume.
Conclusion: office manager job description guide
I believe this article has answers all possible questions.
If you have more questions, simply leave a comment.
Good look with creating your advert or resume, if you are an employer or employee respectively.
Other job description guide:
- What is the Job Description of a Teacher
- What is the Job Description of a Secretary?
- What is the Job Description of a Software Engineer?
- What is the Job Description of a Logistics Coordinator?
- What is the Job Description of a Dermatologist?
- What is the Job Description of a Flight Attendant?
- What is the Job Description of an Event Planner?
- What is the Job Description of a Physical Therapist?
- What is the Job Description of a Vet Tech?
- What is the Job Description of a Hotel Manager?
- What is the Job Description of a Barrister?
- What is the Job Description of a Zoologist?