The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) is the government agency with the mandate to coordinate the surveillance, detection and response to infectious disease outbreaks. Over the last three years, NCDC has deployed a new tool for disease surveillance. The Surveillance, Outbreak Response Management and Analysis System (SORMAS) is a system jointly developed between the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI) to improve disease surveillance as well as detection and management of outbreaks and thus strengthen the public health service in Nigeria.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Laboratory Specialist (Technical Lead)
- This role will focus on the strategic development and implementation of key RSSH laboratory activities in supporting selected laboratories to improve and sustain their Quality Management Systems towards achieving accreditation and laboratory information management system.
- Guide strategic development, technical advice and project management of the RSSH laboratory activity implementation.
- Lead and facilitate the process of Continuous Quality Improvement of Laboratories towards accreditation and consolidating the quality management system. This include mentoring and periodic QMS audits, training, etc.
- Support the integration of the public health laboratories into the laboratory network
- Support in development of concept notes and guidance documents in relation to project interventions and activities.
- Support the development of guideline for the operationalization and implementation of WHO AFRO framework for the strengthening Integrated Disease surveillance and response activities as it relates to laboratory services; role compatible for Laboratory Advisor
- Lead the reporting of GF grant supported Laboratory RSSH activities and results.
- Contribute to developing communication products including but not limited to success stories, fact sheets, technical briefs, abstracts and publications.
- In close collaboration with stakeholders, support the development of high-quality laboratory systems in support of the delivering comprehensive HIV/AIDS, Malaria, TB, COVID 19 and other diseases of public health interest.
- Support the design and or upgrade of the grant comprehensive data management system and Lab Information system and integrated specimen transport network.
- Link and analyze resource inputs, outputs and outcomes and report on project effectiveness and efficiency.
- Represent the project within the laboratory stakeholder’s community.
- Provide clear documentation programmatic achievements and keep management informed on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Mentor and provide technical support to the laboratory and Project implementation team
- Provide clear documentation of laboratory achievements and keep the PIT informed on monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- And in other duties assigned.
- BMLS or Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Laboratory Science or related field, plus Master’s Degree in Public Health, Medical Laboratory Science or related field
- At least ten (10) years post-qualification experience working on laboratory systems of which five (5) years must have been in a senior laboratory management position
- Experience working on a nationwide laboratory system strengthening project is essential.
- Experience working on a Global Fund or donor funded laboratory system strengthening project is essential
- Registration with the appropriate professional regulatory authority in Nigeria, is essential.
- Understanding of global public health issues, systems and stakeholders in Nigeria, and of laboratory system strengthening activities in the context of a health system strengthening effort.
- Experience managing, supervising and teaching laboratory staff.
- Experience in designing and implementing Laboratory system strengthening interventions in HIV, TB & Malaria programs.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluating Laboratory system strengthening project results and outputs and ensuring timely completion of activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong analytical and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent written and spoken communications skills in English.
- Strong skills in using word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software (Microsoft Office applications preferred).
Agency-wide Competencies (for all NCDC Staff):
- Rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of NCDC and used by each staff member to fulfil his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Integrity, Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships, Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset, Accountability & Stewardship.
Application Closing Date
30th June, 2022 (5pm).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Candidates should submit on the portal, their suitability statement and CV as a single document with the job title clearly indicated as the subject matter on the portal.
- NCDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, state origin, sexual orientation or disability.
You can also check the following
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online While Unemployed
- How to Write a Follow Up Email after Submitting Your Resume
- How to Email a Resume and Cover Letter Attachment
- Top 10 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
- 6 Tips That Will Help You to Get Experience for Your Dream Job
- Online Jobs that require little or no experience
- How To Apply For jobs online | 7 Amazing Tips You Need to Know