Pulse is Africa’s leading innovative media company, informing and engaging Africa’s young audience and producing content and creative digital marketing solutions for top brands. We run news platforms and social channels and marketing and production in six countries – Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya and Senegal, Côte d’Ivoire and Uganda.
We are the platform leading in reach – with over 100 million users and over 100 million video views on our own channels per month. We’re also a marketing partner, empowering brands with our extensive media reach and 360 degree in-house marketing solutions. Additionally, Pulse is the licensee publisher of the regional Business Insider Africa.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Music Reporter
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- Pulse is looking for a Music Reporter with a solid editorial/ journalistic background who will research, monitor, fact-check and write news stories surrounding the music industry with the Pulse audience in mind.
- You will have a knack for breaking down complex topics to make them interesting, relatable and easy to understand.
- This position is based in our Lagos office, reporting to the Director of Content.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect, verify, fact-check and analyze newsworthy information thoroughly.
- Create and deliver music-related stories (article, video and/or social posts) with the audience’s perspective in mind.
- Proofread your work to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.
- Work on assignments and investigate news leads/tips.
- Contact, interview and research sources.
- Maintain notes and audio/video recordings.
- Collaborate with other reporters, video editors, social media managers, producers etc.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest current events in the industry by properly monitoring news, attending events and building contacts and sources for use in future stories.
- Attend events and file reports in a timely manner.
- Develop and publish weekly reviews, opinion pieces and music reports.
- Edit and/or assist in editing and proofreading stories as assigned.
- Ensure accuracy and consistency with the Pulse brand voice and adherence to the Pulse Content Framework.
- Ensure published stories are fully compliant with copyright laws and are not plagiarized.
- Actively contribute to the success of the Content team by developing story ideas, sourcing exclusive stories, and making other innovative suggestions.
- Actively identify, suggest and implement strategies to increase the readership and reach of Pulse
- Stay keyed into trends and the competitive landscape to ensure that Pulse as a media brand is always ahead of the curve.
- Abide by the core principles of journalism, the code of ethics for Nigerian journalists, and worldwide journalistic ethics and standards.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Experience covering/ writing news and entertainment stories about the music industry for a digital publication.
- Great networking skills to source news stories and secure interviews in the music industry
- Passion for producing exclusive stories.
- Exceptional communication skills, both oral and written, coupled with excellent listening skills and a positive and enthusiastic phone presence.
- Extremely self-motivated and diligent.
- Good knowledge of Google Workspace – docs, sheets, drive, slides, etc.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- A lot of energy, passion and enthusiasm.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
You can also check the following
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online While Unemployed
- How to Write a Follow Up Email after Submitting Your Resume
- How to Email a Resume and Cover Letter Attachment
- Top 10 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
- 6 Tips That Will Help You to Get Experience for Your Dream Job
- Online Jobs that require little or no experience
- How To Apply For jobs online | 7 Amazing Tips You Need to Know