Choosing a university for schooling may be tricky as several excellent schools are available. Getting admitted as one of the students in New Paltz is not easy as the New Paltz acceptance rate is average.
New Paltz could be a very selective school. Therefore this guide will spotlight Paltz’s superb features so you can make a great choice.
This article will give you more insight into the New Paltz acceptance rate, tuition fee, and other additional information you might need before applying to this eminent college.
- Brief History Of New Paltz
- Why Choose Paltz?
- How to Apply to New Paltz
- New Paltz Rankings
- What is New Paltz Acceptance Rate By Major?
- What is New Paltz Acceptance Rate?
- What is Paltz Transfer Acceptance Rate?
- What are the Necessary Requirements for Paltz?
- What Are The Required Application Materials For Paltz?
- What Are The Admission Requirements for International Students In New Paltz?
- What Are Paltz Transfer Requirements?
- What Are New Paltz GPA Requirements?
- What Is The New Paltz Deadline?
- New Paltz Acceptance Rate Frequently Asked Questions
- Editor’s Recommendation
Brief History Of New Paltz
The State University of New York at New Paltz (SUNY New Paltz or New Paltz) is a public university in New Paltz, New York. It traces its origins to the New Paltz Classical School, a secondary institution founded in 1828 and reorganized as an academy in 1833.
It offered Greek and Latin together with reading, writing, and arithmetic. In 1833, it was reorganized into an academy on Huguenot Street and the banks of the Wallkill River. The academy educated local children until a heavy fire in 1884 compelled it to rebuild.
Rather than simply rebuilding, the school shifted its mission, becoming a regular state school that trained teachers for New York State public schools. Even then, New Paltz was innovative; a course of study was available to students interested in subjects beyond teacher training.
The first bachelor’s degrees were awarded to the 112 members of the Class of 1942, and in 1947 the school began offering graduate studies in education. In 1948, New Paltz became one of the original campuses to join the newly established State University of New York System.
Today, the State University of New York at New Paltz includes the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, the School of Business, the School of Science & Engineering, the School of Fine & Performing Arts, the School of Education, Graduate, Professional and Interdisciplinary Studies, and Continuing and Online Education.
Why Choose Paltz?
There are so many reasons we have while making choices. Some may be worthwhile, while some are not. Choosing schools is usually confusing and tiring because they all seem to have what we want. However, we have put together some reasons you might want to consider Paltz.
Here are some reasons to choose New Paltz:
New Paltz faculty have been cited for excellence in teaching. It has also received the SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Teaching and SUNY Distinguished Faculty. It has also received several research honors, such as Fulbright and National Endowment for the Arts fellowships.
Creative Environment Of Discovery
At New Paltz, the learning atmosphere has an air of imaginative inquiry that bridges all academic endeavors. Also, The faculty encourages students to question, experiment, and discover in ways that lead to innovative thinking.
The campus is situated on a gorgeous Acre of land. In addition, The campus also offers beautiful views of the Shawangunk Mountains and easy access to outdoor recreation such as hiking, kayaking, climbing, and biking, as well as a wide variety of restaurants, specialty shops, historic sites, and local entertainment venues.
Nationally Recognized And Very Affordable
The Princeton Review ranked SUNY New Paltz as one of the nation’s “Best Value” colleges and universities. It included it among the Top 75 public, four-year higher education institutions in the US. Kiplinger’s Personal Finance ranked the college in the Top 100 best values in the nation, and U.S.News & World Report ranked New Paltz fourth among the best public regional universities in the North with bachelor’s and master’s degrees programs.
How to Apply to New Paltz
To get admission into any school or college, you have to apply. You can’t get admission without letting the school know that you need admission and different schools have different application methods. Therefore, these are the guidelines for the Paltz application.
For General Freshmen applicants, all Transfer & Second Degree applicants and international applicants are meant to complete;
- The Common Application or the
- The SUNY Application.
Note that you must use only one application. The application fee is $50 for either of the applications.
For All Freshmen EOP, applicants must complete the following;
- The Common Application
- The SUNY Application
Note that the application fee is waived for all EOP applicants. Students are also required to use only one application.
Don’t Fail To Also Read: WIU Acceptance Rate | Average GPA and Admission Requirements
New Paltz Rankings
Several factors qualify a school’s ranking. These factors fall into nine broad areas: graduation and retention, graduation rate performance, graduate indebtedness, social mobility, faculty resources, expert opinion, financial resources, student excellence, and alumni giving.
Paltz has earned several rankings, and they include:
#31 in Regional Universities North (tie)
#9 in Best Colleges for Veterans
#18 in Best Undergraduate Teaching (tie)
#57 in Best Value Schools
#19 in Most Innovative Schools
#35 in Top Performers on Social Mobility (tie)
#6 in Top Public Schools
#129 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs (tie)
What is New Paltz Acceptance Rate By Major?
Paltz’s acceptance rate by majors is compiled on academic grounds. While keeping in mind that admissions rates can and do change, the list below shows the data from the academic ground for New Paltz acceptance rates by major.
- Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services 14%
- Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs 14%
- Education- 11%
- Psychology- 1 1%
- Social Sciences- 11%
- Visual and Performing Arts- 10%
- Engineering- 5%
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences- 4%
- English Language and Literature/Letters- 4%
- Health Professions and Related Programs- 4%
What is New Paltz Acceptance Rate?
New Paltz admissions are selective, with an acceptance rate of 62%. Half the applicants admitted to SUNY New Paltz have an SAT score between 1070 and 1260 or an ACT score of 24 and 29.
Paltz reviews all general admission applications based on four components:
- Official high school transcript.
- An essay as part of the Common Application or the SUNY Supplemental Application.
- A letter of recommendation from the guidance counselor or an academic teacher.
- Extracurricular activities & involvement (examples, but not limited to, jobs, athletic teams, clubs, and volunteer positions).
See Another School’s Acceptance Rate: Cuny John Jay Acceptance Rate | Average GPA and Admission Requirements
What is Paltz Transfer Acceptance Rate?
In 2019, the State University of New York at New Paltz received 2924 transfer applicants. The school accepted 1431 students. Therefore, the transfer acceptance rate for the State University of New York at New Paltz is 48.94%.
Be Sure To Also Check: Massart Acceptance Rate and Average GPA
What are the Necessary Requirements for Paltz?
Admission requirements are those specific minimum criteria a school must use when accepting a student. Getting these requirements is essential if you do not have them yet.
These requirements include the following;
- Required high school coursework
- Four units of English
- 3-4 units of social studies/history
- 3-4 units of college preparatory mathematics (Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II/Trigonometry)
- 3-4 units of science (minimum of 3 units of laboratory science)
- 2-4 units of a language other than English
- These five core courses need to be at the Regents level (NYS), college preparatory (CP) level – or higher (Honors, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, college courses).
You Should Also Read: Skidmore College Acceptance Rate: Admissions, Courses And Scholarships
What Are The Required Application Materials For Paltz?
These are the necessary application materials for Paltz, which must be adhered to:
- Application Form and Fee.
- Official High School Transcript.
- SAT or ACT Scores (optional).
- Official English Proficiency Exam Scores (non-native English speakers only).
- Two Letters of Recommendation.
- Résumé / List of Activities.
Students should apply online by completing the Common Application. The application form and a $50 fee must be submitted to be considered for admission.
Also Check: Stevenson Acceptance Rate and Average GPA
What Are The Admission Requirements for International Students In New Paltz?
It is usually notable that most schools have international students to boost their awareness of cultural diversity and tolerance. Most Schools accept so many international students, and Paltz is not left out.
SUNY New Paltz International Admissions
- High school cumulative GPA of 3.0 or 85% or higher grade.
- Official high school transcripts.
- Local or state board scores.
- Academic LOR.
- Admissions essay or emotional state.
- Course evaluation for transfer students.
- Standardized SAT/ACT scores ( These are an option).
What Are Paltz Transfer Requirements?
You are a transfer student if you have completed coursework during a regular session at a college or university after high school (the summer session immediately following high school graduation does not count).
Paltz Transfer Requirements include;
- Submit the SUNY Application or the Common Application
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges previously attended to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- Submit your official, final high school transcript or GED/TASC (as required by the NYS Education Department) to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- If required, submit official SAT/ ACT score reports to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
- If taken in high school, submit official AP, IB, and CLEP score reports to the Office of Undergraduate Admission.
The application fee is $50 and is non-refundable and non-transferable. The SUNY Application fee is waived for SUNY or CUNY associate degree holders. The Common Application fee is not waived for SUNY or CUNY associate degree holders.
What Are New Paltz GPA Requirements?
The State University of New York at New Paltz’s average GPA is 3.6. The State University of New York at New Paltz does require GPA. This average GPA means New Paltz is very selective. Often, schools in this range try to increase their selectivity and prestige. To play it safe, we recommend striving for the 3.
What Is The New Paltz Deadline?
Application Deadline for Freshman Applicants
- December 15: Spring General Freshman Admission
- May 1: Fall General Freshman Admission
- November 15: Early Action
- April 1: The regular admissions application deadline
New Paltz Acceptance Rate Frequently Asked Questions
What is SUNY New Paltz best known for?
Paltz delivers an extraordinary number of majors in Business, Liberal Arts, Sciences, and Engineering and is mainly well-known for our fine and Performing Arts and Education programs.
Is New Paltz a party school?
If you’re looking for the best festival, look no further than SUNY New Paltz. The college ranked 18th top party school in New York State.
Is SUNY New Paltz hard to get into?
New Paltz admissions are selective, with an acceptance rate of 45%. Students that get into New Paltz have an average SAT score between 1070-1260 or an average ACT score of 24-29.
Do students like SUNY New Paltz?
The students at SUNY New Paltz are very friendly and very active. The school provides a warm atmosphere for anyone to be themselves. New Paltz is a very accepting community, and people are very kind. The faculty and staff at New Paltz are constructive for the most part and will help you if they can.
New Paltz is an excellent school; if possible, every student needs an opportunity to get into it. The New Paltz acceptance rate and requirements are not so stringent nor complex, although the GPA looks almost impossible. But with much zeal and effort, you can beat the reach.
- Wikipedia.com -Best colleges Paltz
- campusreel.com – Paltz Requirements
- Usnews.com– Paltz Rankings
- newpaltz.edu– freshman-undergraduate Requirements
- Collegedunia.com– international requirements
- www.niche.com – History of Massart
- Scripps College Acceptance Rate: Admissions, Courses And Scholarships
- Bentley University Acceptance Rate: Admissions, Courses And Scholarships
- Harvey Mudd College Acceptance Rate: Admissions, Courses And Scholarships
- CalArts Acceptance Rate: Admissions, Courses And Scholarships
- Oberlin College Acceptance Rate: Admissions, Courses And Scholarships
- York University Acceptance Rate and Average GPA
- Culinary Institute of America Acceptance Rate and Average GPA
- Hampshire College Acceptance Rate and Average GPA
- Vanderbilt Transfer Acceptance Rate | Average GPA and Requirements
- MIT Transfer Acceptance Rate | Average GPA And Requirements