Nile University of Nigeria, is a world class university located in the heart of Nigeria, Abuja. Our university community is composed of robust, hardworking, friendly and committed staff from different nationalities all over the world that work tirelessly to help our teeming students actualize their dreams.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Graduate Research Assistant
Locations: Abuja Municipal, Federal Capital Territory and Canada
- We’re looking for research assistants to work on a multi-disciplinary (media studies and criminology) research project titled: “reframing media studies of crime, insurgencies and counter-terrorism in Nigeria”.
- Free Online Courses at Yale University in 2020-2021
- Free Online Courses with Certificate of Completion
- Best Schools for Aerospace Engineering, 2020
- Free online Courses for Developing Countries in 2020-2021
- Free Online Courses from Harvard University in 2020-2021
- Short Courses in Nigeria 2020-2021
- 10 Best Online Photography Courses in 2020-2021
Get access to over 1000 free online courses
About the Research Project
- We are looking to conduct research on the history, current challenges, and potential reframing of media studies and the reporting of crime, insurgencies, and counterterrorism in Nigeria, with a specific focus on the period since Nigeria’s return to democracy in 1999.
- The research assistants will work with the project researchers based at the University of Manitoba, and the University of Alberta, in Canada, and the Nile University of Nigeria, in Abuja, for a fixed period of up to two years.
Purpose of the Position
- The successful candidate will be involved in all major phases of the research project.
- S / he will use some qualitative data analysis software including, but not limited to, Nvivo and Endnote to design research instruments, conduct data collection and analysis, and the dissemination of research findings.
- Given the inter-disciplinary nature of the project, applications are welcome from graduate students in any social science or humanities disciplines.
- However, we are especially looking for applicants who have an interest in the fields of media studies, international criminology, and peace and conflict studies.
The successful candidate will participate actively in the following:
- Design data points for data collection especially secondary data;
- Conduct literature reviews;
- Collect, analyze data and report secondary data for the approved data points;
- Manage and respond to project-related emails;
- Travel to field sites to collect and record data and/or samples as appropriate;
- Code and verify data in accordance with the specified research protocol and coding procedures and enter data into a specified data analysis software, computer database and/or spreadsheet application for subsequent analysis;
- Develop or assist in the development of interview schedules; contact potential subjects to introduce and explain study objectives and protocol and to arrange interviews, either in person or by telephone;
- Book design and prepare interview questions;
- Recruit and/or interview human participants and summarize interviews;
- Maintain accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects, as necessary;
- Maintain database for all interviews;
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Must be a registered MA or PhD student of a Social Science field of study in a recognized university;
- Experienced in using qualitative data analysis softwares including Nvivo and Endnote or strong willingness to learn;
- Experienced in online team management, information & knowledge management and sharing including through the use of Dropbox, SharePoint and Google drive;
- Good communication skills and ability to present documents and activity reports clearly.
- Very good computer skills (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, google forms/sheets);
Added Advantage skills & Proficiencies:
- Experienced in statistical analysis software;
- Attention to detail, Critical thinking, other demonstrable technical skills;
- Graphical presentation of and research findings;
- Experienced in planning, scheduling, interviewing and data collection
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Application and Resume to “Dr. Russell Smandych, Department of Sociology and Criminology, University of Manitoba”, by email, at: [email protected] ; or “Dr. Muhammad Kabir Yusuf, Department of Mass Communication, Nile University of Nigeria”, at: [email protected] using the “Job title” as subject of the email.
Note: Due to a high volume of applicants, please understand that we are able to contact only those who meet the minimum qualifications. No phone calls, please
Application Deadline 10th September, 2020.
Latest Jobs in Nigeria
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this post.
- Federal Government Scholarships 2020-2021 for Undergraduates and Postgraduates
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2020-2021 for Developing Countries [$50,000]
- Fully Funded Youth Opportunities for Africans 2020
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship 2020-2021 for Developing Countries (Masters & PhD)
- Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for International Adoptees 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for Public Health in UK for International Students 2020-2021
- University of Toronto Acceptance/Admission Rate 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for People who have Lost a Parent 2020-2021
- 15 Scholarships for People with Disabilities 2020-2021
- 35+ Schools with Low Tuition Fees in Canada
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2020 and 2021.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content to your families and friends.