A receptionist is the first person you will meet immediately when you come into any organization. As a result of their job description, they always appear elegant and smart.
The job of a receptionist is very interesting, because you get to meet a lot of people every day. And you also answer a lot of phone calls.
So, it does not get boring at any time of the day.
You are probably reading this article because you want to take up a job as a receptionist.
Or, you are an employer who needs a template for the job description of a receptionist.
Whichever category you fall into, this article has the answer to the question, ‘What is the job description of a receptionist?’
What does a receptionist do?
As a receptionist, you will be the first point of contact in any organization. You will be in charge of welcoming guests who visit the organizations.
You will also perform a variety of administrative tasks across the organization and also see to the smooth running of all front desk activities.
To be a good receptionist, you must appear happy and kind at all times and also know how to work well under pressure.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a receptionist?
The duties of a receptionist are as follows. Although not limited to this.
- Greet and welcome visitors of the organization.
- Help visitors find their way around the organization by directing them to the appropriate person or office.
- Respond to and direct incoming calls to the right office.
- Provide necessary and correct information to individuals via calls or physical conversation.
- Maintain optimum security in the organization, by monitoring who goes in and out and issuing a visitors badge when necessary.
- Take proper record of all company visitors per day.
- Order necessary supplies for the front desk office, and keep record of stock.
- Make sure calendars are up to date and schedule meetings.
- Arrange for necessary official travels and book accommodation.
- Prepare vouchers
- Keep up to date records of all office expenses.
- Perform other office duties such as printing, photocopying, typing and faxing.
- Receive and distribute office deliveries to the appropriate office or person.
- Announce visitors to the appropriate office or person.
- Ensure that visitors in the waiting room are well attended to.
Your duties and responsibilities may be more or less depending on the organization you work for.
But these are the basic responsibilities of a receptionist irrespective of their employer.
- 1,500 Chevening Scholarships 2022-2023 in UK for Developing Countries (Fully-Funded)
- 10 Best Acting Schools in Houston | 2022 Best Rankings
- 10 Best Acting Schools in New York | 2022 Best Rankings
- 10 Best Acting Schools in Vancouver | 2022 Best Rankings
- 10 Best Entrepreneurship Schools in the World 2021
- 10 Best Fashion Schools In Washington 2022
What are the skills and personality that suits a receptionist?
The type of welcoming a guest receives immediately he gets into an organization goes a long way to determine his perception of the company.
Therefore before taking a job as a receptionist, or employing one, here are some skills or personal traits to check out for.
1.Give attention to details
A good receptionist must be able to pay attention to every tiny detail. This will enable you attend to every task without leaving any one out, and also maintain security at all times.
2.Ability to multitask
The responsibility of a receptionist are numerous and are all important. A receptionist should be able to do more than one thing at a time without making mistakes.
3.Cheerful at all times
As a receptionist, you will be the first person every visitor will meet immediately they step into an organization. Therefore, you must be cheerful and express happiness at all times.
4.Great communication skills
A receptionist must be eloquent in English or any required language. She should also be able to properly communicate to effectively to guest and other staffs.
5.Proficiency in MS office suite
It is advantageous for a receptionist to know how to use Microsoft office properly. Because she may need to use it to keep records.
6.Good customer service skills
A receptionist must be polite and well mannered in having conversations, whether via phone calls or physical conversation.
What are the qualifications required to become a receptionist?
It is not necessary to have a bachelor’s degree before taking a job as a receptionist.
Here is a list of some qualifications that puts you at edge.
- Professional attitude and appearance at all times.
- Proficiency and certificate in Ms office
- Good writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to use certain machines such as photocopying, faxing and printing machines.
- Good multitasking and time managerial skills.
- Great customer care skills.
- High school certificate.
- Work experience as a receptionist or front desk manager.
Where do receptionists work?
Practically every business and organization, in one way or another, requires the service of a receptionist.
Some of such organizations include:
- Governmental organizations
- Private owned businesses
- Non governmental or profit organisations
- Super markets
- Religious offices
How much do receptionists make per year?
According to totaljobs.com, the average salary of a receptionist is about $19,000 per year.
The salary of a receptionist may also be dependent on location, work experience, qualification and employer.
Receptionist in more developed countries earn more than those in less developed countries.
What should I include to my receptionist job posting?
When you make a receptionist job listing, it is necessary to include all duties and responsibilities you expect from your employee.
You should also include the necessary qualifications and skills you expect the employee to have
Make use of the information in this article to make a list of the duties, skills and qualifications the receptionist you intend to employ should do and have respectively.
What are some questions to ask during a receptionist job interview?
The questions to ask should be in sync with the organization’s job requirements.
Since the duties and qualifications of a receptionist are similar, then here are possible questions to ask.
- How do you treat persuasive customers?
- How can technology be used to handle administrative tasks?
- While preparing a conference room for a meeting, a customer comes in and the phone rings at the same time. How do you prioritize these tasks?
- When asked to schedule a meeting by the manager, what are some enquiries to make in order to schedule it properly to suit his activities?.
What skills are tested during a receptionist job interview?
- Organizational skills
- Multitasking skills
- Managerial skills
- Customer service skills
- Communication skills.
- Ms office suite proficiency
Conclusion: receptionist job description guide
The job of a receptionist is very significant, as a result, a receptionist must stay presentable at all times.
A good receptionist is the face of the organization to every visitor and therefore should represent the organization well.
if you want to explore other careers, then here is a list of related job descriptions
- What is the Job Description of a Teacher
- What is the Job Description of a Secretary?
- What is the Job Description of a Software Engineer?
- What is the Job Description of a Logistics Coordinator?
- What is the Job Description of a Dermatologist?
- What is the Job Description of a Flight Attendant?
- What is the Job Description of an Event Planner?
- What is the Job Description of a Physical Therapist?
- What is the Job Description of a Vet Tech?
- What is the Job Description of a Hotel Manager?