The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region.
- Free Online Courses at Yale University in 2020-2021
- Free Online Courses with Certificate of Completion
- Best Schools for Aerospace Engineering, 2020
- Free online Courses for Developing Countries in 2020-2021
- Free Online Courses from Harvard University in 2020-2021
- Short Courses in Nigeria 2020-2021
- 10 Best Online Photography Courses in 2020-2021
Get access to over 1000 free online courses
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Revisor (English)
Institution: Ecowas Commission
Department: General Administration And Conference
Directorate: Conference & Protocol
Line Supervisor: Language Coordinator
- The incumbent shall, revise from French into English, texts and translations, in accordance with professional standards, translated by in-house and independent translators, ensuring high linguistic and terminological quality of texts and application of ECOWAS jargon.
- S/he supervises the relevant language section and may also translate a variety of often complex, confidential, urgent, and important texts intended for different audiences.
- Facilitates the setting-up and updating of terminology databases and on request, provides advice on language usage.
Role and Responsibilities
- Revises translations dealing with subjects of an exceptionally sensitive, complex or technical nature
- Translates texts of an exceptionally sensitive, confidential, complex or technical nature
- Plans, co-ordinates and supervises the daily, medium- and long-term work of their translation section;
- Language Combination: English A, French C and/or Portuguese C. (ability to translate into B Language is an advantage).
- Supervises the weekly maintenance of the translation log
- Allocates work to staff, assigns staff to particular translation or revision duties
- Directs the conduct of terminological research within the translation section concerned and assists the Language Coordinator in the preparation of terminology materials to meet the needs of the entire Division
- Assists the Language Coordinator in monitoring the quality of in-house and outsourced translations
- Regularly provides feedback on in-house and outsourced translations
- Guides, counsels and trains or supervises the training of translators and trainee revisers, evaluates their performance and promotes the best use of their skills and experience
- Keeps abreast of language industry trends especially technological advances useful to the work of the Division
- Performs other related duties as required
- Participates in recruitment exercises where necessary
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Translation from a recognised university / institution;
- 10 years of experience in translation (at least four of which should have been revision experience)
- Demonstrated experience in use of relevant computer assisted translation software/tools
- Exhibits highest standards of accuracy, consistency and faithfulness to the style and nuances of the original text
- Ability to maintain highest standard of confidentiality
- knowledge of terminological and reference research techniques with ability to use wide variety of information and to conduct complex research
- A perfect command of the target language and an excellent knowledge of the source language. Good knowledge of the third language of ECOWAS is an advantage.
- Be below 50 years old. This provision does not apply to internal candidates.
ECOWAS Key Competencies:
- Ability to lead in assigned programmes and projects by providing the necessary managerial and operational expertise required for the fulfillment of the organization’s mandate;
- Ability to lead by example organize teamwork to encourage cooperation in order to achieve targeted results, champion and build momentum for change and to bring about employee engagement; develops and implements internal controls for pilot program to manage potential barriers to implementation;
- Ability to respect chain of command in an appropriate manner;
- Excellent self-management skills, demonstrating ethics and integrity and displaying due regards for internal controls of rules, delegations and transparency
- Ability to bring together complementary skills/expertise, assess individual contributions and recognize/address accomplishments and shortcomings in a manner that brings continued success to the organization;
- Ability to research benchmarks and trends to bring about the best recommendations for the development and improvement of programs /projects that will best serve the community/organization
- Well-developed networking and interpersonal skills to seek feedback, information and data from a network of professionals from multiple countries/sectors/organizations and to identify and prioritize the most critical community requirements;
- Ability to develop and implement best practices in client services;
- Ability to develop and implement stakeholder management plans, programs and initiatives to obtain buy-in on new initiatives, to better understand dissenting views, to obtain resources and to increase perceptions of success.
- Ability to be diplomatic, tactful and respect of other people from varied backgrounds, understanding diverse cultural views especially within West Africa with the ability to convert diversity into opportunities to improve program/operational outcomes;
- Ability to create a diverse and inclusive interactive environment that benefits from diverse strengths bringing together innovative practices;
- Ability to remain objective in managing conflict regardless of cultural differences /positions, gender differences, and encourage other staff to overcome cultural and gender bias and differences;
- Ability and responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Ability to serve the interest of culturally diverse multinational teams/organizations/communities and persons with disability without prejudice and bias
Knowledge of ECOWAS:
- Understanding of the ECOWAS organizational structure, associated dynamics and expectations as required to collaborate, participate, contribute and lead effectively;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS mandate, strategic plan/priorities as well as the economic, political and social situation and trends in member states, as pertains to own scope of work;
- Knowledge of ECOWAS best practices, program management approaches and research techniques to lead and/or contribute to the development or assessment of programs, projects or initiatives;
- Knowledge of the ECOWAS rules and procedures in order to appropriately interpret and apply directive text, provide technical advice, coach others and assess performance.
- Ability to analyze a situation by using indicators to assess the costs, benefits, risks, and chances for success, in making decisions;
- Ability to pull together information from different sources to identify the cause of problems, consequences of alternative causes of action, potential obstacles and ways to avoid the problem in the future;
- Ability to break down very complex situations/information into simple terms to explain recommendations and conclusions aimed at solving problems or improving operations/programs/projects;
- Ability to develop new insights into situations, apply innovative solutions to problems and to design new methods of addressing issues or disconnects where established methods and procedures are inapplicable or no longer effective.
- Ability to communicate with impact, clearly and concisely in a succinct and organized manner conveying credibility & confidence when making presentations, setting expectations and explaining complex issues;
- Ability to listen intently and correctly interpret messages from others and respond appropriately;
- Ability to give constructive feedback, provide recognition, address shortcomings and motivate direct reports to work at peak performance;
- Fluency in oral and written expressions in one of the ECOWAS official languages of the Community (English, French & Portuguese). Knowledge of an additional one will be an added advantage
- Ability to set effective goals and targets for self, others, and the work unit and adjusting work or project priorities in response to changing circumstances;
- Ability to implement rigorous monitoring, and evaluation practices and to set in place regular reporting schedules relevant to key outputs (e.g. management indicators, project milestones, program results, processing targets);
- Ability to plan, organize, and control resources, procedures and protocols to achieve specific goals.
UA66, 123.98, USD104, 330.42
Application Closing Date
13th September, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below, fill it out correctly; attach a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a Motivation Letter and send to: [email protected] using the Job Title as the subject of the email.
Click here to download Application Form (Ms Word)
Click here for more information
Before you apply, it is very important you learn the following;
- East tips on how to write a motivation letter
- Why you Need a Good CV and Cover Letter
- 27 Easy Tips on How to Prepare for an Interview
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this post.
- Federal Government Scholarships 2020-2021 for Undergraduates and Postgraduates
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2020-2021 for Developing Countries [$50,000]
- Fully Funded Youth Opportunities for Africans 2020
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship 2020-2021 for Developing Countries (Masters & PhD)
- Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for International Adoptees 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for Public Health in UK for International Students 2020-2021
- University of Toronto Acceptance/Admission Rate 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for People who have Lost a Parent 2020-2021
- 15 Scholarships for People with Disabilities 2020-2021
- 35+ Schools with Low Tuition Fees in Canada
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2020 and 2021.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content to your families and friends.