Are you confident about your academic ability and want to study abroad in the UK for free? Then, the Rhodes Scholarship 2021-2022 is ongoing. The scholarship allows for Postgraduate level program(s) in the field of All subjects taught at the University of Oxford. Get details on how to successfully apply for the scholarship below.
About the Rhodes Scholarship
The Rhodes Scholarship took its name from the Anglo-South African mining magnate and politician Cecil John Rhodes. The scholarship began in 1902 and aims to nurture public-spirited leaders for the world’s future. It is an international postgraduate award for students to study at the University of Oxford.
The Rhodes Trust, Oxford, the United Kingdom administers the Rhodes Scholarship. They administer the scholarships in 20 Rhodes constituencies(64 different countries) around the World.
To win the scholarship, however, you have to be a young leader of outstanding intellect and character who is motivated to engage with global challenges. You must also be committed to the service of others and show promise of becoming a value-driven, principled leader for the world’s future. These are the criteria the Rhode’s selection committee looks out for in Rhodes scholars.
Why Rhodes Scholarships for International Students?
The Rhodes scholarship is no ordinary scholarship. It is one that gives you the opportunity to make a global impact. This is why Rhodes is particular about selecting scholars with leadership qualities as well as academic strength.
In addition to the fully-funded scholarship award that Rhodes provides, you get added benefits like retreats; workshops and conferences; and social and discussion events at the Rhodes House. This is an opportunity for International students to maximize their study experience in the UK.
Finally, the beauty of the Rhodes scholarship is that it takes you into a network of over 7,000 Rhodes scholars around the world. The fellowship of Rhodes Scholars is a network that guarantees lifelong friendship and opportunities.
Level/Fields of Study
The Rhodes Trust scholarship is available for a full-time postgraduate degree (including the BA with senior status over two years) at the University of Oxford.
With the Rhodes scholarship, you can study any Postgraduate degree of your choice at Oxford University. This is an Opportunity to Study in Europe for free.
The Rhodes Global Scholarship is hosted in the UK for all international students and Oxford University is the host university.
However, if you wish to study in Canada, read this >> Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2021-2022.
Don’t ever forget that the entire team of Academic Related has you at heart and will always provide you with the latest and updated information on scholarships, study abroad programs, free online schools, etc.
Rhodes Scholarship is open to international students from a number of countries. Here’s a comprehensive list of eligible countries for the scholarship:
- Hong Kong
- Jamaica & the CommonwealthCaribbean
- New Zealand
- Southern Africa (including South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, and Swaziland)
- West Africa (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe and Togo)
- East Africa (Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan and Burundi)
- United Arab Emirates
- United States
- Zambia and
In addition to these countries, there is the Global Category for Other Countries not listed above. Hence, you are eligible for the Rhodes Scholarship so long as you’re an international student.
However, there are numerous international scholarships for international students to study in any country of choice.
You can check this our heavily recommended post ”How to Study Abroad for Free in 2021-2022”.
Rhodes Global Scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship. It covers all Oxford University College fees that you’ll encounter as a student of the university. This includes tuition fees, stipends for living expenses, accommodation, and a to and fro flight fare.
Since the 2019/20 academic year, The Rhodes Trust provides £15,900 annual stipends to scholarship award winners. So, if you win the scholarship, you get a stipend of £1,325 monthly to pay for all living expenses, including accommodation.
The Trust will also cover your International Health Surcharge (IHS) to enable you to gain access to the UK’s National Health Service.
Furthermore, on arrival in Oxford, you’ll receive a settling-in allowance of £225.
What tops it all is that as a Rhodes Scholarship award winner, you have access to additional Rhodes grants to cover expenses like International Conferences and additional fieldwork costs.
Rhodes Scholarship Requirements
To be eligible for the Rhodes Scholarships, you must meet the following requirements:
- Citizenship & Residency: Each applicant must fulfill the citizenship and residency requirements of the Rhodes constituency for which they are applying. Please check the detailed information carefully via the country links.
- Age: Age limits vary between constituencies but ranges between 18-28 years. You must fall between this age range by 1st October of the year following selection. This is because successful candidates will arrive in Oxford the October following the selection process.
- Education: You must have good academic standing and completed a bachelor’s degree by October following the year of selection. Oxford University is highly competitive, therefore, you must be worthy enough to gain admission into Oxford University for Rhodes Trust to consider you for the scholarship. Based on your constituency, you may need to have attained a first-class bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. Some constituencies would even require you to have gotten your undergraduate degree within the constituency of application.
The eligibility requirements for the Rhodes Scholarship for International students depend so much on the constituents. So, endeavor to check the country links.
Rhodes Scholarship Application 2021
How to Apply for Rhodes Scholarships 2021-2022
The Application of the Scholarship is something very important. Make sure that the information you provide is very detailed and Concise. Never provide any false information. Here are the steps in detail:
#1. Proceed to the Official Website
To commence your application, visit the Rhodes Scholarship website and visit your country-specific page to read the application criteria, eligibility requirements, and deadline.
#2. Read Through the Eligibility
It is important to read the how to apply page and visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship. It will do to also watch the videos on the page that Rhodes Trust has provided.
#3. Choose Your Course at Oxford University
You need to check the Latest Considerations when choosing the right course for you at Oxford University. Here is a list of Course Covered by the scholarship.
#4. Write Your Personal Statement
You need to write a convincing Personal Statement. Here we have tips and advice on how to express yourself in your personal statement. Our E-book, How to Apply, and Win the Rhodes Scholarship provides great samples of Personal Statements.
#5. Get a Reference Letters
You’d need a referee for the Rhode’s Scholarship. here are tips on how to choose suitable referees for your Rhodes Scholarship application. See full information on getting a Referee here.
#6. Get all Required Documents
Any document that you didn’t Submit is a minus to your successful Application. Make sure you know which documents are required in order to complete and submit your application. See the documents you need to provide here.
#7. Do Some Social Engagement
There are some Social Engagements you’re to carry out. What to expect from the social engagement event and how to get the most from it, is explained in this video.
#8. Final Interview
If you pass through to the last stage of the scholarship process, you will meet and interview. You have to prepare well for the interview and be confident.
What is Rhodes Scholarship Acceptance Rate?
According to the Rhodes Trust, the overall global acceptance rate stands at 0.7%, making it one of the most competitive scholarships in the world.
Rhodes Scholarship Application Deadline
The scholarship deadline for the countries that began applying in June is usually September 30 annually, while it is October 31 for those who began applying in July. So, you have a whole three months to begin and complete your application.
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this post.
- Federal Government Scholarships 2021-2022 for Undergraduates and Postgraduates
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2021-20221 for Developing Countries [$50,000]
- Fully Funded Youth Opportunities for Africans 2021
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship 2021-2022 for Developing Countries (Masters & PhD)
- Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2021-2022
- 20 Scholarships for International Adoptees 2021-2022
- 20 Scholarships for Public Health in UK for International Students 2021-2022
- University of Toronto Acceptance/Admission Rate 2021-2022
- 20 Scholarships for People who have Lost a Parent 2021-2022
- 15 Scholarships for People with Disabilities 2021-2022
- 35+ Schools with Low Tuition Fees in Canada
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2021 and 2022.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content to your families and friends.