The acceptance rate for the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is 65.02 percent. This wonderful school is moderately selective.
The admissions committee is looking for students who are academically strong and who will contribute to the campus community enormously.
SAIC has a student-to-faculty ratio of 11 to 1 and offers seven bachelor’s degrees in the arts and fifteen master’s degree programs.
Students are robustly involved in several student-led organizations and clubs and on-campus art and cultural activities outside of class. SAIC does not sponsor any varsity athletics.
So If you’re planning on applying to Saic, give it your best shot.
Brief History of Saic
Saic is located in the beautiful city of Chicago, Illinois.
Saic is one of the oldest accredited independent schools of art and design in the country.
It provides degrees at the Undergraduate, Post-baccalaureate, and graduate levels.
It was founded as the Chicago Academy of Design in 1866. The School of Art Institute provides its students a challenging education in studio arts and exhibition opportunities.
The school was incorporated as the Chicago Academy of Fine Art in 1879 and changed its name to the Art Institute in 1882. The museum and school moved into a building designed and built for the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893.
Throughout the history of Saic, alumni have played several central roles in important art movements. Saic provided the impetus for two significant schools of American painting.
- The Regionalists of the 1930s and
- The Imagists of the 1960s.
Some of the most notable names in the arts received their early training at Saic. Names such as Georgia O’Keeffe, Cynthia Rowley, and Rirkrit Tiravanija, amongst others.
Furthermore, it is important that you know that the original Saic was created in 1969 by J. Robert Beyster. Then on September 27, 2013, it spun off a $4 billion unit which retained its name, while the parent company changed its name to Leidos.
See Another School’s Acceptance Rate: Texas State Acceptance Rate And Average GPA
Why Choose Saic
There are several reasons SAIC should be your utmost choice,
- SAIC offers classes in art and technology; arts administration; art history, theory, and criticism; art education and art therapy; ceramics; fashion design; filmmaking; historic preservation; architecture; interior architecture; designed objects; journalism; painting and drawing; performance; photography; printmaking; sculpture; sound; new media; video; visual communication; visual and critical studies; animation; illustration; fiber; and writing.
- SAIC also serves as a resource for issues related to the position and importance of the arts in society.
- SAIC also offers an interdisciplinary Low-Residency MFA for students wishing to study the fine arts and/or writing.
Don’t Fail Also to Read: Colby College Acceptance Rate| Admissions, Courses and Scholarships
U.S. News reviewed data on nearly 23000 high schools to rank the best in America. And Saic was among such schools
Some of its rankings include;
- #2 Graduate Fine Arts Program in the US
- #7 Art and Design School in the World
- #16 Best Colleges for Art in America
- #48 Most Diverse Colleges in America
- #136 Best College Locations in America
- #220 Best College Dorms in America
- #296 Hardest Colleges to Get Into in America
- #435 Colleges with the Best Student Life in America
- #499 Safest College Campuses in America
- #513 Colleges with the Best Academics in America
- #525 Top Party Schools in America
- #537 Best College Food in America
- #537 Most Conservative Colleges in America
- #550 Best College Campuses in America
- #744 Colleges with the Best Professors in America
- #3 Most Diverse Colleges in Illinois
Also, Check Out: Rutgers University Newark Acceptance Rate and Average GPA
What is SAIC Acceptance Rate?
If you want to get into any school, the first thing to look at is the acceptance rate. This tells you how competitive the school is and how stringent its requirements are.
The acceptance rate at the SAIC (School of the Art Institute of Chicago) is 48.6%. Of every 100 applicants, 49 are admitted.
This means the school is moderately selective.
The school expects you to meet their GPA and SAT/ACT scores requirements, but they’re more flexible than other schools.
You have an excellent chance of getting in if you exceed their requirements. But if you don’t, you might be one of the unlucky minorities that gets a rejection letter.
SAIC Transfer Acceptance Rate
In 2019, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago received 669 transfer applicants. The school accepted 435 students.
Therefore, the transfer acceptance rate for the SAIC (School of the Art Institute of Chicago) is 65.02%.
What are the Necessary Transfer Requirements for SAIC?
- The application for incoming transfer students requires a five- to seven-page (1,250–1,750 words) writing sample.
- SAT/ACT scores
- TOEFL scores, when required, with a minimum score of 96
- Letter of recommendation
- Transcript of courses taken at other institutions (min. unweighted GPA 3.0)
- A portfolio of five to 10 pieces of visual work and a personal statement
Furthermore, transfer applicants are considered individually for the acceptance of previous credit and studio requirements.
Required Application Materials
- Application Form
- Application fee
- SAT or ACT scores
- TOEFL / IELTS
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation
See Also: UTEP Acceptance Rate and Average GPA
SAIC Admission Requirements for International Students.
- A completed application
- Artist’s statement
- Official high school transcript
- SAT and ACT scores are required, as mentioned below:
- SAT score of 560 for the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing component
- SAT score of 500 for the Critical Reading component
- ACT Reading score of 21
You Should Also Read: Stanford Transfer Acceptance Rate, Average GPA, And Requirements
SAIC GPA Requirements
With a GPA of 3.51, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago requires you to be around average in your high school class.
You’ll need a mix of As, Bs, and very few Cs. If you have a lower GPA, you can compensate with harder courses like AP or IB.
Also Explore: Kenyon College Acceptance Rate and Average GPA
What are SAIC Deadlines?
Admission Deadlines: The university accepts early action applications on November 15, and the regular application deadline is April 15 for the fall semester.
Saic Deadlines for Freshman Applications
|JAN 15||NOV 1||The merit scholarships deadline for Freshman|
|APRIL 15||DEC 1||Final application deadline|
Admission Deadlines: The university accepts Early Action applications on November 15, and the regular application deadline is on April 15 for the fall semester.
Looking for less acceptance rate, check out: Colorado College Acceptance Rate: Admissions, Courses And Scholarships
How to Apply to SAIC
You must submit your application through the Undergraduate Common Application.
The Common Application allows you to apply to any of its 456 member schools by inputting your general information only once so you can focus your time on the individual requirements for each school application.
In addition to the Common Application’s general questions, you MUST submit SAIC’s supplement to be considered for admission to SAIC.
Submitting the Common Application gives you access to an ePortfolio link within 48 hours of completing the application, including supplement and fee.
Check Also: Hamilton College Acceptance Rate and Average GPA
Saic Frequently Asked Questions
What is Saic best known for?
SAIC is not a competitive environment like RISD. If you want to work with others, but don’t want to compete with them, this place is for you. SAIC is great for people who want to study design areas and art technology, but it’s not very fine-arts heavy. Very conceptual subjects, particularly the fashion department.
Is SAIC a party school?
School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) comes in fourth on the party school rankings with its ample off-campus kick-backs and creative parties. Because of its location, there are a lot of bars to choose from during the week, with the majority of house parties being on the weekends.
Is SAIC hard to get into?
The acceptance rate at School of the Art Institute of Chicago is 48.6%. For every 100 applicants, 49 are admitted. This means the school is moderately selective. The school expects you to meet their requirements for GPA and SAT/ACT scores, but they’re more flexible than other schools.
Is SAIC a good School?
CHICAGO—In the new rankings compiled by U.S. News and World Report, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) rose to become the nation’s second-ranked program in the Fine Arts category of the 2021 Best Graduate Schools.
With Saic’s approach to education, Saic also offers a number of other benefits. If you’re looking for an institution that will challenge you academically and help you prepare for a successful future, Saic college is just the right choice.