Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Savings and Internal Lending Community (SILC) Assistant (Nigerian Nationals Only)
Ref No: 200000L4
Job: Program Management
Job Type: Full-time
- CRS’ Nigeria office is implementing a 2-year, Germany government project entitled, “Stabilization and Reconciliation in the Lake Chad Region (STaR)” in the North East of Nigeria. Through programming in agriculture & livelihoods, social cohesion, community infrastructure and local governance, the project is intended to contribute to the stabilization and reconciliation in the most affected regions of the Lake Chad Basin namely Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in Nigeria, Diffa in Niger and, the Lake Region in Chad.
- Under the supervision of the SILC Officer, the SILC Assistant will be responsible for implementing the Savings and Internal Lending Community (SILC) activities under the Economic revitalization component of the STaR project through partner staff in communities within Yobe state.
- S / he will carry out their duties with a focus on mentoring and coaching of partner staff. S / he will ensure that all activities related to SILC in the project are implemented according to agreed standards and protocols.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
Project Implementation and Technical Support:
- Assist in the day-to-day implementation of social cohesion activities and capacity improvements of the program (both at the administrative level and in the field), including oversight of community-based staff under this specific component.
- Support to identify technical support needs of partners and facilitate capacity building trainings and other supports to program partners on social accountability.
- Proactively contribute to strategic thinking on SILC issues for STaR program implementation.
- Support in the development / review and timely implementation of SILC project work plans and activities, by ensuring the active engagement of all partner organizations.
- Provide direct technical assistance to implementing partners to ensure technical soundness and high-quality SILC programming.
- Support in the development of technical tools and materials to support SILC projects in the early recovery and resilience programs portfolio.
- Support to promote the project and the SILC PSPs (Paid Service Providers) to community stakeholders
- Ensure the quality of SILC groups in target areas through regular field visits and spot checks
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of SILC field agent reporting
- Support the Certification and launching of PSPs
- Organize and oversee activities of PSP networks
- Regularly brief the SILC Officer on progress, promptly alert to emerging issues, foreseen problems and constraints or delays in the timely implementation of activities or any other factors that could affect the quality of the services and recommend and implement approved corrective measures.
- Support in preparing narrative and MIS reports.
Coordination and Representation:
- Work closely with other STaR and CRS staff to liaise with community members, including ensuring close coordination and synergy with the Agric and Livelihood community groups.
- Organize and facilitate project events with local leaders, agents and groups, as needed
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL):
- Review data collection forms and MIS reports and act to improve project performance Certify and launch PSPs
- In coordination with the MEAL Officer, ensure timely and quality capturing of MEAL data on SILC.
- Ensure contribution to timely completion of project performance tools including detailed implementation plans (DIPs) and indicator tracking tables (ITT) as it relates to SILC activities and deliverables in target area.
- Provide regular support to SILC officer (using standardized formats) and ad hoc reporting on implementation of SILC activities.
- Document the implementation process, lessons learnt and success stories in each year of program implementation.
- Contribute to ensuring accountability to project beneficiaries and local stakeholders
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or other related fields
- Some work or volunteer experience in supporting community development and mobilization.
- Required Languages – English, Hausa,
- Travel – Must be willing to travel up to 50 %.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good time management skills with the ability to work on multiple tasks
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Excellent organization, planning and analytical skills; detail-oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated strength in relationship management
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: STaR SILC Officer, STaR Program Manager, STaR MEAL Officer, STaR Feedback Desk Officer, Yobe Head of Office
- External: Local partners/sub-recipients, local authorities and communities.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Before you apply, it is very important you learn the following;
- East tips on how to write a motivation letter
- Why you Need a Good CV and Cover Letter
- 27 Easy Tips on How to Prepare for an Interview
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- EOE / M / F / D / V -CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.CRS’™ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.