Considering the importance and sensitivity of the course: Nursing, it’s expedient that you go for the best when it comes to studying. Nursing is a very technical course of study in Nigeria, just as it is in many other parts of the world like Europe and the United Kingdom. For this reason, you will find that many institutions in Nigeria do not offer Nursing as a course of study but we have carefully written down the top 20 best schools of nursing in Nigeria and their requirements to guide you into making the right choice.
Before we get to the crux of the matter, it is of great importance you know that as a nurse in Nigeria either you study in the University and get a Degree or you study in College/School of Nursing. Either ways both institutions and certificates are recognized in the country and beyond.
As you read on you will discover not just the top nursing schools in Nigeria but the very best ones, their location and requirements for entry. This post is meant to guide candidates looking for admission into a good school of nursing in Nigeria in 2020/2021
Let’s get started !!!
- Free Online Courses at Yale University in 2020-2021
- Free Online Courses with Certificate of Completion
- Best Schools for Aerospace Engineering, 2020
- Free online Courses for Developing Countries in 2020-2021
- Free Online Courses from Harvard University in 2020-2021
- Short Courses in Nigeria 2020-2021
- 10 Best Online Photography Courses in 2020-2021
Get access to over 1000 free online courses
- Read Also
- 20 BEST SCHOOLS OF NURSING IN NIGERIA in 2020
- ECWA SCHOOL OF NURSING, EGBA
- MATER SCHOOL OF NURSING, EBONYI
- BASIC SCHOOL OF NURSING, FEDERAL TEACHING HOSPITAL
- SCHOOL OF NURSING, OGBOMOSHO
- SCHOOL OF NURSING, JOINT HOSPITAL, MBANO
- ONDO STATE SCHOOL OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY, AKURE
- OYO STATE COLLEGE OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY
- SOKOTO STATE COLLEGE OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY
- FCT SCHOOL OF NURSING
- SCHOOL OF NURSING BIRNIN KEBBI
- SCHOOL OF NURSING SOKOTO
- SCHOOL OF NURSING- USMANU DANFODIYO UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL
- SCHOOL OF NURSING UNIVERSITY COLLEGE HOSPITAL IBADAN
- SCHOOL OF NURSING UNIVERSITY OF BENIN TEACHING HOSPITAL (UBTH)
- UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA SCHOOL OF NURSING
- AHMADO BELLO UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF NURSING
- SCHOOL OF NURSING, LAGOS UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL (LUTH)
- SCHOOL OF NURSING, OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL
- LAGOS UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL
- Find Out
- WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS NEEDED TO STUDY NURSING IN NIGERIA???
- EDITORS RECOMMENDATION
20 BEST SCHOOLS OF NURSING IN NIGERIA in 2020
ECWA SCHOOL OF NURSING, EGBA
The School of Nursing, Egbe was established in 1955 with provision approval by the Nursing Council of Nigeria to the Sudan Interior Mission (S.I.M.) The school was established by Dr. George F. Campion to serve the need of Egbe Hospital. It received it’s full accreditation in 2006 by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.
Through the supports of the Kogi State Government and efforts of the founding fathers and concerned individuals alongside the pioneer principal staff. Their website is http://www.esonegbe.net/eportal/ while their e-mail address is [email protected].
MATER SCHOOL OF NURSING, EBONYI
School of Nursing, Mater Misericordiae Hospital Afikpo is a pacesetter in the training of qualified Nursing manpower within and outside Nigeria. It was established in January 1952 after five years of the official opening of Mater Misericordiae Hospital Afikpo in Ebonyi State. Her website is www.matersomn.org while their email is [email protected].
BASIC SCHOOL OF NURSING, FEDERAL TEACHING HOSPITAL
It is located in Abakaliki, Ebonyi State, Nigeria. Basic School of Nursing is owned by the Federal Government of Nigeria and thoroughly equipped for learning and practice. Her website is http://www.sonfetha.com/
SCHOOL OF NURSING, OGBOMOSHO
The School of Nursing Ogbomoso is an agency of the Nigerian Baptist Convention and an integral part of the formal Baptist Medical Centre now Bowen University Teaching Hospital Ogbomoso. They take pride in their good professionals and cutting-edge equipment to train nurses. Their address is at School of Nursing Bowen University Teaching Hospital (BUTH) P. O. BOX 15, Ogbomoso. Their website is www.bowensonogbomoso.com while their e-mail is [email protected].
SCHOOL OF NURSING, JOINT HOSPITAL, MBANO
If you want to attend a good school of nursing in the eastern part of Nigeria, the School of Nursing Joint Hospital, Mbano is the best for you. Their website is www.sonmbano.org while their e-mail is [email protected].
ONDO STATE SCHOOL OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY, AKURE
Ondo State School of Nursing and Midwifery is also one of the reputable state-owned institutions to study nursing in Nigeria. Their address is PMB 675 Igbatoro Road Akure, Ondo State. Their website is www.sonak.org
OYO STATE COLLEGE OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY
The Oyo State College of Nursing and Midwifery was formerly known as Oyo State School of Nursing which was established in 1949 and sited at the Old Army Barracks in Eleyele, Ibadan while Oyo State School of Midwifery was established in 1954 at Yemetu. The School of Nursing Eleyele was the first School of Nursing in Nigeria. Her website is http://www.oyostatecollegeofnursingandmidwifery.com
SOKOTO STATE COLLEGE OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY
Sokoto State College of Nursing and midwifery is one of the leading institutions to study nursing in the Northern part of Nigeria. it is located at No. 4, Ibrahim Dasuki Road, Sokoto.
FCT SCHOOL OF NURSING
FCT School of Nursing is one of the reputable schools of nursing in Nigeria where nurses get trained. The school is located in the nation’s capital city, Abuja. Her address is FCT School of Nursing, Gwagwalada – Abuja. Her website is http://www.fctson.abj.gov.ng
SCHOOL OF NURSING BIRNIN KEBBI
Kebbi State has one of the top schools for studying nursing in Nigeria – the School of Nursing and Midwifery, Kebbi. Like most schools on this list, the institution is known for producing some of the best hands in the nursing profession.
SCHOOL OF NURSING SOKOTO
Sokoto School of nursing is also on this list. They are known to offer good training to nurses across the country.andmidwifery.com
SCHOOL OF NURSING- USMANU DANFODIYO UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL
Located in Sokoto. Her address is at Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, SokotoP.M.B. 2370, Sokoto.Nigeria. Her website is http://www.uduth.org.ng/nursing.php while her email is [email protected]
SCHOOL OF NURSING UNIVERSITY COLLEGE HOSPITAL IBADAN
The College Hospital of the University of Ibadan offers one of the best nurse training programs in the country. It facilities are really impressive and the innovative teaching techniques of the teachers really makes the nursing program a piece of cake. While most students are in love with its student friendly environment, the staff are always there to help students learn all that they possibly can, I believe this is more important than any laboratory or facility any nursing school in the country can boast of.
SCHOOL OF NURSING UNIVERSITY OF BENIN TEACHING HOSPITAL (UBTH)
The is often regarded as one of the best school of nursing in Nigeria. It offers students flexibility in study and its well equipped laboratory made practicals really easy for students. It comes with a well stocked library. The vision of this school is to produce some of the best nurses in Nigeria who can be able to function on an international level. It provides an educational friendly environment for students to be able to study conveniently and easily.
UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA SCHOOL OF NURSING
The university of Nigeria is one of the earliest schools in the country and with time comes great experience. The school has been in the art of making high profile nurses in the country and have built a solid reputation for itself in that regard as one of the best nursing school in the country. With many resources at hand for nursing students, it is hoped that they can come out as the best they can ever be. This school of nursing also aims to train nurses that are up to international standards.
AHMADO BELLO UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL SCHOOL OF NURSING
Ahmadu Bello University is often regarded as one of the best universities in Nigeria and it’s nursing school is no different. The Ahmadu Bello university nursing school offers students flexibility in study and its well equipped laboratory made practicals really easy for students. It comes with a well stocked library. The vision of this school is to produce some of the best nurses in country who can serve the health sectors efficiently and professionally. It provides an educational friendly environment for students to be able to study conveniently and easily.
SCHOOL OF NURSING, LAGOS UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL (LUTH)
The Lagos University Teaching Hospital offers gives nursing students the rare opportunity to study their courses with great flexibility. It is well equipped with modern facilities for the students to learn comfortably. The University Teaching Hospital aims to train nurses to attain a high standard in the nursing profession and because of its effectiveness in helping students achieve their goals, it has really become of the most popular school of nursing in Nigeria.
SCHOOL OF NURSING, OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL
Obafemi Awolowo University is considered one of the best universities in Nigeria. It’s teaching hospital gives nursing students the rare opportunity to learn the nursing profession in a practical way in an education-friendly environment.
LAGOS UNIVERSITY TEACHING HOSPITAL
You should not confuse this with the school of nursing Lagos University Teaching Hospital – they are different.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS NEEDED TO STUDY NURSING IN NIGERIA???
Depending on the program of choice the requirements differ, below you will find the requirements needed to study nursing in Nigeria.
General Nursing Programme: General Nursing Programme is the basic nursing programme in Nigeria. If you get admitted into a school of nursing for the general nursing programme, you will become a registered nurse upon completion of your course in three years. The Entry requirement include;
- Five (5) O’level credit passes in Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology at not more than two (2) sittings from either the West African Examination Council (WAEC) or National Examination Council (NECO).
- Any student with a foreign examination board result(s) is expected to submit an evaluation report or equivalent grading from the Federal Ministry of Education along with the result. NABTEB is currently not acceptable.
- Acceptable Age range for admission into Basic Nursing and Basic Midwifery Training programme is 18 – 35years as at the time of indexing.
Bachelor of Nursing Sciences (BNSc): Alternatively, you could attend any of the universities offering Nursing in Nigeria to study for a five-year Bachelors’s in Nursing Sciences Degree or RN, Registered Midwife (RM), or Registered Public Health Nurse (RPHN). As a prerequisite,
- You must have at least five (5) credit level passes at not more than two (2) sittings at the Senior Secondary School Certificate (SSCE/NECO/GCE) examinations in English Language, Biology or Health Science, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics or any other science subject.
- Some universities accept any additional qualification from any health-related discipline such as listed below; Community Health Officer Training Certificate (CHO), NCE (Physical/Health Education, Science Education, Nutrition, Home Economics) Health Superintendent, Registered Nurse (RN), Physiology, Medical Laboratory Science, etc.
Masters or Doctorate Degree in Nursing: Not too many study Nursing up to Maters or Doctorate level in Nigerian universities. For this reason, only two universities in Nigeria are currently running Nursing at these levels: Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife and the University of Ibadan.
If you fit into any of these requirements then studying nursing in Nigeria is a step easier. Fitting into the criteria is one thing and fees/tuition another, if you read on, you will discover the average cost of studying Nursing in Nigeria.
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this post.
- Federal Government Scholarships 2020-2021 for Undergraduates and Postgraduates
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2020-2021 for Developing Countries [$50,000]
- Fully Funded Youth Opportunities for Africans 2020
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship 2020-2021 for Developing Countries (Masters & PhD)
- Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for International Adoptees 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for Public Health in UK for International Students 2020-2021
- University of Toronto Acceptance/Admission Rate 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for People who have Lost a Parent 2020-2021
- 15 Scholarships for People with Disabilities 2020-2021
- 35+ Schools with Low Tuition Fees in Canada
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2020 and 2021.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content to your families and friends.