Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Social Cohesion Assistant (Nigerian Nationals Only)
Ref No: 200000K3
Job: Program Management
Job Type: Full-time
- CRS’ Nigeria office is implementing a 2-year, Germany government project entitled, “Stabilization and Reconciliation in the Lake Chad Region (STaR)” in the North East of Nigeria. Through programming in agriculture & livelihoods, social cohesion, community infrastructure and local governance, the project is intended to contribute to the stabilization and reconciliation in the most affected regions of the Lake Chad Basin namely Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in Nigeria, Diffa in Niger and, the Lake Region in Chad.
- The Social Cohesion Assistant (SCA) will support the Social Cohesion Officer in the implementation of the STaR project activities which include peace building, conflict mitigation and re-integration activities.
- S / he will also support strengthening community traditional systems, increase social cohesion and inclusion in communities.
- This position will work across all sectors and coordinate closely with other CRS colleagues to ensure that CRS activities abide by ‘Do No Harm’ principles; that CRS contributes to the repair of the social fabric; and, that CRS programming protects the rights of the most vulnerable groups. This position requires close interaction with community members and local governance structures.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
Project Implementation and Technical Support:
- Assist in the day-to-day implementation of social cohesion activities and capacity improvements of the program (both at the administrative level and in the field), including oversight of community-based staff under this specific component.
- Support to identify technical support needs of partners and facilitate capacity building trainings and other supports to program partners on social accountability.
- Support engagement with local governments, community members, and displaced communities on activities to improve local governance and service delivery, as well as advance peace-building initiatives.
- Support efforts to increase community participation in local peacebuilding and conflict prevention towards building a more cohesive community.
- With the supervision of the Social Cohesion officer plan and implement activities to support a stabilization-enabling environment, such as social reconciliation, trauma-healing activities, or any other activity that fosters a willingness to engage in peacebuilding.
Coordination and Representation:
- Work closely with other STaR and CRS staff to liaise with community members, including displaced communities to draft community-led Disaster Risk management plans, Local Economic Development plans incorporating peace message.
- Ensure coordination of CRS social cohesion activities with similar initiatives funded by other donors / implemented by government MDAs / various stakeholders.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL):
- In coordination with the MEAL Officer, ensure timely and quality capturing of MEAL data on social cohesion project component.
- Ensure timely completion of project performance tools including detailed implementation plans (DIPs) and indicator tracking tables (ITT) as it relates to social cohesion activities and deliverables.
- Provide regular support to Social cohesion officer (using standardized formats) for weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting on implementation of social cohesion activities to the STaR leadership, CRS Nigeria leadership and the donor as directed by the Program Manager.
- HND / Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Sciences, Administration and other related fields.
- Experience working in an office environment in a clerical or administrative role. Experience with a local or international NGO a plus.
- Experience with typing / word processing, data entry into online databases and forms, and working with various office equipment.
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio) and information management systems. Proficient in Word.
- Required Languages – English, Hausa,
- Travel – Up to 75 %.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
- Good time management skills with ability to work on multiple tasks
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Excellent organization, planning and analytical skills; detail-oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated strength in relationship management
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Governance Adviser, Infrastructure Manager, Governance Officer, Livelihoods Officer, MEAL Officer, SILC Officer, and Yobe Head of Office.
- External: Government ministries Departments and agencies, Local and International NGOs, coordination platforms and working groups, community leaders
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- EOE / M / F / D / V -CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)
- Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.CRS’™ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.