The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Program Assistant – All Interested Candidates (Regional Refugee Coordinator Assistant)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-030
Series/Grade: LE – 0650 9
Promotion Potential: LE-9
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 5/1. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (40 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Under the supervision of the Regional Refugee Coordinator, the job holder is responsible for providing administrative support, developing, and maintaining contacts in refugee and Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) responses, representing the State Department’s Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) in meetings, managing and monitoring refugee assistance and IDP protection interventions implemented by international organizations, government interlocutors, and implementing partners.
- This position reviews resource requests and proposals, performs reporting, monitoring, and evaluates the general performance of implementing partners.
- The employee often works independently and has the authority to carry out many of the assigned duties without the direct involvement of the supervisor.
- The jobholder does not exercise any supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- A University Degree in Political Science, International Relations, Public Administration, Development, or Human Rights is required.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in development, humanitarian assistance, or program implementation for refugees, IDPs or vulnerable populations is required.
- Must have prior work experience in an office setting.
- The position requires a solid knowledge of the geography, history and politics of Central Africa, and a thorough knowledge of refugees, migration, and humanitarian assistance.
- This may be tested. Please specify your level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent writing/speaking/reading of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office package, especially MS Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Must demonstrate ease at drafting emails, reports, and memos on a computer.
- Keyboard and typing skills with good working speed and accuracy are required.
- Ability to make basic calculations using MS Excel is required. Must be able to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- High sensitivity to cross-cultural issues is required.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational and planning skills are required.
- Attention to detail, problem-solving skills, excellent time management skills, and ability to multitask and prioritize work is required.
- Must be able to work in a high-stress, high productivity environment independently with little supervisory oversight.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
NGN10,908,677 (USD48,667) / Annum.
Application Closing Date
5th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (or transcript)
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
You can also check the following
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online While Unemployed
- How to Write a Follow Up Email after Submitting Your Resume
- How to Email a Resume and Cover Letter Attachment
- Top 10 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
- 6 Tips That Will Help You to Get Experience for Your Dream Job
- Online Jobs that require little or no experience
- How To Apply For jobs online | 7 Amazing Tips You Need to Know