A lot of international students wish to study abroad in a country like China, but do not know how to go about it. If you fall into this category, then keep reading.
It is because of students like you that this article was created to answer all your questions.
In this article, Academic Related has compiled all you need to know about studying in China.
As you read through, you will get to know the best courses to study in China and the requirements for studying in the country.
You will also get to know some of the cheapest and most affordable universities in China.
Also, you may be wondering if lectures in universities in China are taught in English.
Well, that’s another question we have answers in this article.
Aside from all of these, in the course of reading this article, you will discover available scholarship for international students who wish to study in China
Practically everything one needs to know concerning how to study abroad when your destination is China has been featured in this article.
So, if you really desire to study in China, then you will find this article beneficial. On that note, I will advise that you carefully read this guide on how to study abroad in China to the end.
- Read Also
- Things You Need to Know Before Studying Abroad in China
- Study Abroad in China for Free
- What is the best course to study in China?
- Cost of Living in China as an International Student
- Can international students work in China?
- Is it safe to study in China?
- See Other Study Abroad Posts
- Study Abroad Scholarships in China for International Students 2022
- Government Scholarships in China for International Students 2022
- University Scholarships China for International Students in China
- The Requirement to Study Abroad in China 2022
- EDITORS RECOMMENDATION
- Free Online Courses at Yale University in 2022-2023
- Free Online Courses with Certificate of Completion
- Best Schools for Aerospace Engineering, 2022
- Free online Courses for Developing Countries in 2022-2023
- Free Online Courses from Harvard University in 2022-2023
- Short Courses in Nigeria 2022-2023
- 10 Best Online Photography Courses in 2022-2023
Get access to over 1000 free online courses
Things You Need to Know Before Studying Abroad in China
It goes without saying that to live in China, you should know a certain level of mandarin as it is the basis of communication in China. In fact, from getting a taxi through visiting a market to ordering coffee requires a bit of proficiency in mandarin. So, before you get there I suggest you get some apps off the apps store to furnish yourself with some common expressions.
Firstly, while you study abroad in China you’re less likely to find some guardian angel that shows you around all time. But you can sure to improve your conversational skills by mingling with society. Furthermore, I would recommend getting Chinese friends as they offer the best help to your survival chances. So step out of your comfort zone, play some local games, get on some student societies and maximize your stay.
In addition, if you are taller or wear large size shoes, then you may want to pack enough before leaving. It can be difficult to find bigger size clothing, as most people tend to generally be smaller.
3. English Courses
Much said on mandarin, there are however a large number of courses offered in English. Hence you can study abroad in China completely in English. Nonetheless, you may not study alongside the locals as most of such courses are for international students only.
4. Medical Exam
If you enrol to study in China for more than six months, then you’ll need to take a full medical exam. Also, you can opt to take it in your home country, but it must be in the correct format and your doctor will need to fill out a form. You’ll also need to arrange for health insurance. It’s also possible to take the exam on arrival in China.
Study Abroad in China for Free
It is the wonder of every prospective international student. The cheapest possible means to acquire the best possible education. You’re in good luck as China has a good mix of these two qualities just at the right amounts. Ensuring that your study abroad in China is the most befitting it can be.
Can I Study Abroad in China for Free?
China does not offer free tertiary education. Admittedly, it would be counter-productive to do so, but there are definitely a lot of scholarships available. With which you can study in China as if for free. Besides scholarships, you can also work a part-time job while you study. As your English language skills is a priced asset and the high demand for English tutors. Being a native speaker gives an even larger pay.
Are there Cheap Universities in China for International Students?
China offers some of the best universities worldwide, they’re not the cheapest, but not too expensive. Averagely juxtaposing cheap sides; community colleges in the US costs $4800 while well-known Chinese universities cost $400 to $2200 per academic year (for Chinese taught programs). Relatively, Chinese schools are cheap for you to study abroad.
Accordingly, here are some of the most affordable universities:
- Ningbo University – tuition between 2,600 and 4,700 USD/year
- Northwestern Polytechnical University – tuition between 2,900 and 4,350 USD/year
- Liaoning University of Technology – tuition between 2,200 and 3,760 USD/year
- Beijing Normal University – tuition between 3,470 and 4,670 USD/year
- Beijing foreign studies university – tuition between 4300 5600 USD/year
- Xi’an jiaotong university – tuition between 3700 7000 USD/year
- Peking university – tuition between 3650 5650 USD/year
What is the best course to study in China?
Here is a list of some of the best courses to study in China:
- Computer science
- Chinese language and literature
- Business administration and management
- Software engineering
- Petroleum engineering
- International relations
- Educational studies
- Physical Education
Cost of Living in China as an International Student
China has a rather favorable economy that stimulates growth and competition. So despite being a developed country, the prices are quite stable and affordable. Contrary to being so expensive.
What is the Average Cost of Living in China?
China having a rapidly growing economy provides affordable prices for day to day commodities and utility. Especially when you are purchasing the local products. Beijing being the most expensive city in china costs about $1000 to $1200 per month to cover your expenses. Shanghai and Shenzhen are next on the line between $850 to $1200 per month. In other cities, you can spend $600 to $1000 and this can include accommodation if you live in a hall residence.
Below is a depiction of the average cost of living in China:
- A meal – $3.34
- Domestic beer (0.5 liter) – $0.58
- Coke/ Pepsi – $0.57
- Milk (1 liter) – $1.75
- 550 g loaf of fresh white bread – $1.29
- 12 eggs – $1.39
- 1 Kg of fresh cheese – $12.94
- Pack of cigarettes (Marlboro) – $2.15
- Taxi (5Km) – $2.52
- Metro ride – $0.5
- Fitness club monthly fee – $22.29
- Cinema, 1 seat for an international release – $10.35
- Student hall residence – between 150 and 400 USD/ month
What are the Cheapest Cities in China for International Students?
Most institutions are situated in densely populated and more developed cities. But if you want a university within a low-cost environment and relative more quite than the noisy bubbling cities. Then you may consider cities like Xi’an, Huangshan, Harbin, Chengdu or Jilin. Others cheaper than these are Yingchuan, Luoyang, Xining.
Can international students work in China?
China is a very strict country, with so many strict rules governing their international students.
As much as international students can work in China, they can only do that after taking permission from the University and following due process.
So, if you are an international student and wish to work while studying in China, you may have to visit your school.management and find out what you have to do to get permission.
Is it safe to study in China?
Yes, studying in China is quite safe if you also take relevant safety measures like avoiding late nights and keeping to the country’s rules and regulations.
We all know that China is a very disciplined country and has a lot of rules guiding their way of life.
So, if you must survive in a country like that where nobody is accepted from the rules, you must also obey them.
See Other Study Abroad Posts
Study Abroad Scholarships in China for International Students 2022
China is a very favorable place to study abroad. As they offer a wide variety of scholarships to international students. Ranging from government-sponsored scholarships to university-sponsored. Full paid and partially covered offers. Moreover, most are encompassing. Covering tuition, accommodation, stipend, even up to comprehensive medical insurance.
Government Scholarships in China for International Students 2022
The Chinese government has in recent years invested a lot in providing some of the highest standards of education in the world. Coupled with this, it invites and financially supports foreign students who wish to pursue a degree, further their career or carries out research work. You will have to apply through the Chinese embassy in your home country and meet the necessary requirements. Some scholarships available are:
This is a fully-funded Chinese government program by the Ministry of Education to support international students in Chinese universities. It is only available to Masters and Doctorate students of Public Administration, Public Health and International Communications. In addition, It covers tuition, accommodation, stipend, and comprehensive medical insurance. It is an annual application available between January and April.
- Beijing Government Scholarships
- Anhui Government Scholarship
- Jiangsu Provincial Government Scholarships
- MOFCOM (Ministry of Commerce) Scholarships for Developing Countries
University Scholarships China for International Students in China
Universities in china are very supportive of international students as well and have their own lot of scholarships to offer. However, you should know that the scholarships differ in amount, requirements and duration based on the university making the offer. Below, we’ve highlighted some scholarships and their links for you:
This offer spans for undergraduates, masters and doctoral students alike. It covers the tuition for a maximum of 4 to 5years, 2 to 3 years and 4 years respectively. Depending on different course durations. The deadline is April of each year.
Confucius Institute Scholarship provides a full scholarship for international students. Scholarship winners are exempt from tuition, accommodation fees on campus, and are provided with a monthly living allowance, and comprehensive insurance to study abroad in China.
The University of Science and Technology Beijing
The University of Science and Technology Beijing gives a free scholarship to study in China. While the majority of the scholarships offered are for STEM courses (sciences, technology, engineering, and mathematics), there are also spots for economics, accounting, business administration and even Japanese and German. The university is also a well-known research center, with patents under the University subsidizing a sizeable chunk of expenses.
The scholarship is great for those who are interested in a short program, which is one academic year for scholars and one semester for exchange students. Also, the university waives tuition fees and provides accommodation through an on-campus dormitory.
Other scholarships you may like are:
- Harbin Institute of Technology-Distinguished International Students
- Nanjing Universities President Scholarship
- Zhejiang University-Foreign Students Scholarship
- Guangdong University of Foreign Studies- Foreign Students Scholarship
- Siemens China Scholarship Tsinghua University
The Requirement to Study Abroad in China 2022
The Chinese government is accepting students worldwide to come to study in China. Following its decisive measures to improve its educational system in recent years. Chinese universities offer programs both in mandarin and in English. If you opt for a program in mandarin then, you will subsequently have to tender proof of proficiency in mandarin (HSK tests).
Similarly, if you opt for a program in English you will be required to tender of proof of English proficiency (IELTS/TOEFL). However, if the certificate you apply with stipulates that your education was in English or you are a native speaker of the English language, then IELTS/ TOEFL scores are not needed.
Some generally required documents are as follows:
- Chinese/English language proficiency certificate
- Certificate/diploma from last graduated school
- Academic transcript from last graduated school
- More documents may be required, depending on each school’s request
- For spring semester, applications last until mid-July; while autumn Semester, applications last until late April
- Note also that: GCSE holders are not admitted directly onto degree programs by China’s universities. You’ll have to undergo a foundation year program.
Click here to learn more on the Requirements to Study Abroad in China.
China Student Visa Requirement 2022
While applying for a visa to study abroad in China, we advise you know the type of visa you’ll be needing. If you are studying for less than six months, then you apply for the X2 visa. And if it’s for more than 6 months, apply for an X1 visa. Visit the Chinese consulate or embassy in your country to obtain the exact documents.
Nevertheless, here are some of the common requirements:
- Original international passport (valid up to at least six months with at least one blank page)
- Completed Application Form
- Passport type photograph
- Original and a photocopy of acceptance letter from the university
- Proof of visa application fee payment (around 66 USD)
- A photocopy of previous Chinese passports (only applicable to foreign citizens who were once Chinese citizens and have obtained foreign citizenship)
- Proof of legal status in the country where you’re applying for the visa, such as a resident permit (if you’re applying for the VISA outside your country of citizenship)
- Copy of airplane tickets and accommodation arrangements
- Applicants who are over 18 years old and will study in China for more than 180 days need to provide a valid physical examination record.
Note, however, that you are allowed to stay in China for the whole duration of your visa, but it is usually valid for 30 days once you enter China. Within 30 days of your stay in China, you will have to apply for a residence permit that is mainly used in lieu of your visa at a local Public Security Bureau (PSB) Exit and Entry Administration office.
The residence permit will be valid for the time period you were granted with the original visa.
Click here to know more on the China Student Visa Requirement.
It is my hope that you’ve garnered enough knowledge to see you through the processes of applying for admission, acceptance, and obtaining a scholarship amongst other things to your dream school to study abroad in China. Wishing you the very best. Zhù hǎo yùn!!
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this post.
- Federal Government Scholarships 2022-2023for Undergraduates and Postgraduates
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2022-2023 for Developing Countries [$50,000]
- Fully Funded Youth Opportunities for Africans 2022
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship 2022-2023 for Developing Countries (Masters & PhD)
- Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2022-2023
- 20 Scholarships for International Adoptees 2022-2023
- 20 Scholarships for Public Health in UK for International Students 2022-2023
- University of Toronto Acceptance/Admission Rate 2022-2023
- 20 Scholarships for People who have Lost a Parent 2022-2023
- 15 Scholarships for People with Disabilities 2022-2023
- 35+ Schools with Low Tuition Fees in Canada
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2022 and 2023.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content with your families and friends.