Did you know that studying abroad in a country like India is an exciting experience? If you are wondering how to go about studying in India, then just keep reading, you will soon find out.
In this article, you will discover what you need to know about studying in India, the country’s dressing rules as well as available scholarships for international students.
You will also get to know some of the cheapest universities in India and the cost of living in the country.
Also, in the course of reading this article, you will be equipped with all the knowledge you need to know concerning the requirements for getting an India student visa.
To top it all up, this article also contains a guide on how to study in India for free.
Therefore, if you really wish to study in India, then you should carefully read through this article.
How to Study Abroad in India for Free 2021
Things You Need to Know Before Studying Abroad in India
1. Be Sure of Your University
There are three centralized agencies that regulate tertiary education in India. Be sure to find out if your school has an affiliation to one of these centralized agencies else your degree may not be recognized in your home country. These centralized agencies are:
University Grants Commission for the regulation of university education; All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) for technical and professional education; and the Medical Council of India for medical education.
- Free Online Courses at Yale University in 2021-2022
- Free Online Courses with Certificate of Completion
- Best Schools for Aerospace Engineering, 2021
- Free online Courses for Developing Countries in 2021-2022
- Free Online Courses from Harvard University in 2021-2022
- Short Courses in Nigeria 2021-2022
- 10 Best Online Photography Courses in 2021-2022
Get access to over 1000 free online courses
2. Types of Universities
There four major types of universities in which you can study abroad in India. The types comprise central (universities run by the Indian government), states, private universities and also the religious minorities institutions.
The best for an international student is the central universities as they offer scholarships and high-quality education. Private universities also are available to foreigners owing to their less bureaucratic approach.
As much as schools in India are embracing digitalization, they still have a long way to go. Not so many processes can simply be done online in a portal. It advisable that you make photocopies of your credentials as manual processing in the admissions office is quite more reliable. Indian schools do a lot of documentation, best be prepared.
4. Dress with decency
People in India are rather more conservative when it comes to dressing. Exposing too much of your body is socially and cultural disdained and unapproved. Most especially for women. You can always blend into the culture and style and have some fun with their clothing patterns while there.
How Study in India for Free in 2021
Choosing to study abroad in India avails you an unforgettable experience. As you don’t only access high-quality education at cheap rates, but you enjoy also the warm reception into an ancient country with a great diversity of cultures and some of the world’s oldest schools.
India provides tuition free academics to suitably qualified indigent Indians only. Such an offer does not exist for international students. However, given that Indian tuitions are very low compared to other universities of matching standards and there are tons, I mean tons of scholarship accessible to foreigners to ease your stay. So yes you can get to study completely free.
Most universities in India are as cheap they can get. Offering a world-class level of education, in universities ranking among the best in the world. India’s cost of tuition is relatively low, so you can find really cheap universities.
Cheap Universities in India for International Students
Here is a list of Some cheap universities in India are:
- Osmania University – Tuition fees: $400
- Jamia Islamia University – Tuition fees: $600
- Jawaharlal Nehru University Tuition fees: $750
- Jadavpur University – Tuition fees: $800
- Thapar University – Tuition fees: $1400
- Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi – Tuition fees: $3000
- National Institute of Technology, Delhi – Tuition fees: $3500
- Teri University – Tuition fees: $3000
Cost of Living in India as an International Student
India is ranked as the most affordable place to live in the world. So if you are thinking of a low expense tourist destination to study. With a relishing culture and multi traditions. Then India is the spot for you. The living expense in India is fair and favourable toward both locals and foreigners. Living in India is 66.84% lower than in the US. Further. The rent is about 82.28% cheaper than in the US.
What is the average cost of living in India?
On average, a student can live comfortably for a month with about 160 dollars. So 1850 dollars take care of your needs throughout the year. With an affordable economy for any student to study, an average living expense is as shown below (prices in USD):
- Eating out – $24 to $70 week
- Utility bills – $4 to $10 per week
- Public transport – $4 to$10
- Sports and leisure – $7 to $15 per week
What are the Cheapest Cities in India for International Students?
India’s major cities are most sought after as they have the highest concentration of universities and colleges. As well as offering the best student life. The most opted student location is Mumbai and closely followed by other cities like Delhi, Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad. Students tend to cluster in safe locations having access to premium facilities and student life.
What Scholarships in India are available for International Students 2021
India offers tons of scholarships and financial aids to international students. Apart from government-based or university scholarships, there are also lots of foundations, trusts, and corporates who offer scholarships and grants to foreigners. Obtaining this free cash ensures you study abroad in India easily. Some scholarships in India cover tuition and accommodation, students allowance, books medical benefits and airfare from to and from India.
Government Scholarships in India for International Students 2021
The government scholarships are offered by the government of India. Awarding grants, fellowships and scholarships to international students who wish to study or research in India. The government of India application form is also available for you to apply online. Some scholarships are:
- Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance Senior Fellowships in India, for post Doc.
- Raman Charpak Fellowship Program, 2021
- Idira Gandhi Institute of Development Research (IGIDR) Scholarship
- KIIT University International Scholarships for International Students in India
- Indian School of Business (ISB) International Scholarships
- Nalanda University Master Fellowship for Foreign Students in India
- SIU-ICCR Joint Scholarships for Developing Countries in India
- E-Governance Digital India Fellowship for International Students
- General Cultural Scholarship Scheme (GCSS)
- Cultural Exchange Programme. Offered by the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR).
University Scholarships in India for International Students 2021
Most universities in India (central universities) are sponsored by the government of India. So all financial aids to those universities come either directly from the government or foundations as aforementioned.
What are the Requirements to Study Abroad in India 2021
Generally, students are required to present a higher education entrance qualification. You will be accepted to a university on the basis of your higher education entrance qualification. Or for postgraduate students a recognized tertiary education qualification prequel to the one you are applying for. The need for IELTS/TOEFL scores as an admission requirement for universities in India is absent for now. Check also your school for specificity.
Indian Student Visa Requirement
Some generic documents required to process an Indian student visa are stipulated here. But also check for a detailed document list for your respective country.
- Evidence of enrolment in a recognized educational institution
- Residence permit applications (it varies by the country)
- Evidence of language certification (if needed)
- Proof of parental/guardian consent (if under 18)
- Evidence of funding (your capacity to cover the cost involved in studying and living abroad)
- Passport size photographs
- Copy of the current passport valid for at least six months and with at least two blank pages.
- Vaccination results (if required, it varies by the country)
- The Consulate of India requires that your visa application form to be completed online. To access the form, follow this link: https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/.
Studying abroad in India gives you a truly exciting opportunity.
It gives you access to world-class educational facilities, a new culture. Acquire a second language and explore a new part of the world. Moreover, a frontline experience to some of the oldest schools in the world.
I hope the above information has strengthened your resolve to study abroad in India. And how to go about making the best choice.
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this post.
- Federal Government Scholarships 2021-2022 for Undergraduates and Postgraduates
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2021-2022 for Developing Countries [$50,000]
- Fully Funded Youth Opportunities for Africans 2021
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship 2021-2022 for Developing Countries (Masters & PhD)
- Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2021-2022
- 20 Scholarships for International Adoptees 2021-2022
- 20 Scholarships for Public Health in UK for International Students 2021-2022
- University of Toronto Acceptance/Admission Rate 2021-2022
- 20 Scholarships for People who have Lost a Parent 2021-2022
- 15 Scholarships for People with Disabilities 2021-2022
- 35+ Schools with Low Tuition Fees in Canada
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2021 and 2022.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content to your families and friends.