It can be really difficult to study abroad when your desired destination is the USA. But what if there is a way? If you want to study in the USA, then keep reading, as we walk you through what it takes.
Considering how difficult it can be for international students to get accepted into a University in the USA to study, Academic Related has prepared this guide to help students like you.
In this article, you will get to know everything it takes to study in a country like the USA, including getting a student visa which is one of the major challenges in the whole process.
Just to add spice to the information in this article, we have also included a list of the cheapest universities in the USA as well as a list of the easiest Universities to get accepted in.
Practically everything you need to know about studying in the USA has been featured in this article.
So, if you really desire to study abroad
How to Study Abroad in the USA in 2021
In this article, you will discover why you should choose the United States of America as your study destination if you want to study abroad, the cost of living in the US as an international student, cheap universities in the USA as well as scholarship opportunities available for international students in the USA in 2021.
In addition, you will get the necessary information on how to obtain a student visa and the necessary requirements needed to study abroad in USA. So you’re welcome aboard.
- How to Study Abroad in the USA in 2021
- Things You Need to Know Before Studying Abroad in the USA
- Study Abroad in the USA for Free 2021
- Can I Study Abroad in USA for Free?
- Are there Cheap Universities in the USA for International Students?
- Cost of Living in the USA as an International Student
- What is the Average Cost of Living in USA?
- What are the Cheapest Cities in the USA for International Students?
- See other Study Abroad Opportunities
- Scholarships to Study Abroad in the USA for International Students 2021
- Government scholarships for international students
- TLP-SP Master’s Degree Scholarships Program
- US Embassy Scholarships
- Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellows Summer Institute
- Fulbright Student Scholarship Program
- STEM Women’s Undergraduate Scholarship
- Fulbright Irish Student Awards
- University Scholarship in the USA for International Students
- Requirements to Study Abroad in USA 2021
- EDITORS RECOMMENDATION
- Free Online Courses at Yale University in 2021-2022
- Free Online Courses with Certificate of Completion
- Best Schools for Aerospace Engineering, 2021
- Free online Courses for Developing Countries in 2021-2022
- Free Online Courses from Harvard University in 2021-2022
- Short Courses in Nigeria 2021-2022
- 10 Best Online Photography Courses in 2021-2022
Get access to over 1000 free online courses
Things You Need to Know Before Studying Abroad in the USA
Health Insurance and Books
Your state of health cannot be trifled with, to ensure an exciting education abroad. However, you should know that the U.S. has some of the highest health care costs in the world. So it is imperative that you have your health insurance in check before leaving or as soon as possible while there.
In the same vein, the cost of textbooks can often be overwhelming. But if you get to campus early enough, be sure to grab some cheap second-hand books. Then at the end of the semester, you can sell them back.
Time Zones and Transactions
Throughout the U.S., there are six time zones. So make sure you know what time zone your destination is in. Also, most transactions are preferred in credit cards or online payments modules. So be sure to notify your domestic bank that you will be using such services. To avoid being placed in an unfortunate and embarrassing spot.
You may be unfamiliar with the U.S naming systems, depending on where you’re from. First off, universities are commonly called colleges. Secondly, the imperial system is still used for measurement in the U.S. Hence, get familiar with the thinking of height in feet, distance in miles, the temperature in Fahrenheit and weight in pounds. Other names that may sound puzzling are:
‘take out or to go’ for takeaway
‘Whole milk’ for full cream milk
‘Liquor store’ for a bottle shop
‘Jelly’ for jam
‘Popsicle’ for ice block
‘Ketchup’ for tomato sauce
‘Candy’ for sweets and lollipop
‘Beets’ for beetroot
Weather and Clothing
There are mainly four distinct seasons – winter, summer, spring and fall. Generally, a jacket and heavier clothing will do for winter (December through February).
Light clothing and sometimes a jacket would suffice for spring, the rainiest season (march through may). Lighter clothing is preferred for summer as it is generally hot and usually the driest season (June through August). Finally, fall (September through November) varying from warm to cool temperatures. Normal clothing, at times a jacket may be needed as it rains occasionally.
Study Abroad in the USA for Free 2021
America offers some of the best educational standards in the world. Thus making it a prime destination for international students to study abroad. And fortunately, international students stand a good chance to enjoy such quality education for absolutely free or most times near that.
Can I Study Abroad in USA for Free?
Studying abroad in the USA can be very difficult when considering the cost involved. But of course, there are some tuition-free colleges in the US for international students. What’s even better is that they often have some little perks attached to the tuition-free studies. Below is a list of some tuition-free colleges for you:
- Berea College
- Alice Lloyd College
- Webb Institute
- Curtis Institute of Music
- City University of New York (CUNY)
- College of the Ozarks
- Deep Springs College
Follow the links above to find all you need to know about them.
Are there Cheap Universities in the USA for International Students?
The high expense of education in the USA is all the rage and you will be seeking to cut down costs by all means. Well, if tuition-free colleges are not really your style, then we’ve arranged more options for you. Here’s a list of some the cheapest colleges for you to study abroad in the USA and their average annual tuition fees:
- Lehman College – $3,671
- South Texas College – $4,600
- Minot State University – $6,800
- Alcorn State University – $7,600
- California State University – $8,300
- Southeast Missouri State University Cape Girardeau, Missouri – $9,990
- Bradley University Peoria, Illinois – $10,170
- Brigham Young University – $11,356
- The City University of New York – $17,800
Cost of Living in the USA as an International Student
It shouldn’t surprise you to hear that the world’s largest economy has a high taste in lifestyle, backed by high cost on almost everything. Well, it sure is true for the USA. Offering a bubbling economy and wonderful scenery for all sorts of endeavours, it’s not the ideally cheap place to live. Below, let’s find out how good it gets.
What is the Average Cost of Living in USA?
This question is certainly on your mind especially if you’ve never been to the U.S., To begin with, the living costs in the U.S. varies widely because of its large territory. Nevertheless, we’ll give you a good glimpse of the much talked about luxury and expense in the USA.
Estimated living costs in USA is put around $10,000 per year, which averages around $700 per month. Inclusive of accommodation, food, travel (within the country), clothing and entertainment expenses.
Here’s a breakdown of common monthly expenditure:
- Books and study material – $40 to $80
- Accommodation – $200
- Electricity – $40
- Groceries (home cooked meals) – $150
- International Calling cards – $15
- Home Internet – $15
- Cell phone – $50
- Restaurant meals – $75
- Entertainment – $100
- Car Insurance – $100
- Petrol for car – $75
- Weekend activities – $100
- Shopping – $100
- Note: These amounts differ from state to state within the U.S. And are not fixed, but only give an idea into average costs in the various states.
What are the Cheapest Cities in the USA for International Students?
There’s always two sides to every coin. Similarly, there are some cheap cities to look out for if you want to study abroad in the USA. Not to say that there are the cheapest you’ll find in the world, but suffice to say that they are the low expense cities in the U.S. Furthermore, as a general rule of thumb, locations in the mid-west region have lower living costs. While those in the east and northeast have the highest.
So if you’re looking for cities not to spend too much, here’s a list for you:
- Buffalo, New York
- Kansas City, Missouri
- Dayton, Ohio
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Birmingham, Alabama
- Louisville, Kentucky
- Memphis, Tennessee
- Greenville, South Carolina
- Colorado Springs, Colorado
- San Antonio, Texas
See other Study Abroad Opportunities
Scholarships to Study Abroad in the USA for International Students 2021
Having a good presence in the list of the world’s best institution, U.S. colleges are welcoming to foreign students. You’ll have a wide variety of scholarships to select from. Ranging from government-sponsored through universities, foundations to organizations. There are just a lot of tuition waivers, full paid and partial scholarships available to international students.
Government scholarships for international students
The ‘U.S. federal government scholarships’ are offered by the U.S. federal government and provide financial aid to international students across the world. With quite a number of scholarships to international students enabling them access top-notch educational facilities at a lesser cost than normal. Some of these scholarships are:
TLP-SP Master’s Degree Scholarships Program is a Full Funding international scholarship offered by the US Federal Government for international Master’s degree students. Students eligible for this scholarship are Kosovan nationals only.
US Embassy Scholarships
Each country has their own US embassy scholarships, find the available scholarships available for your specific country and apply.
Benjamin Franklin Transatlantic Fellows Summer Institute is also a Full Funding international scholarship by the US Federal Government for international students. Students eligible for this scholarship are Bulgarian Nationals.
Fulbright Student Scholarship Program is another Full Funding international scholarship provided by the US Federal Government for international students. This scholarship is open to Lebanese students and long-term Palestinian resident in Lebanon.
STEM Women’s Undergraduate Scholarship
STEM Women’s Undergraduate Scholarship is a Partial Funding international scholarship offered by the US Federal Government for international students.
University Scholarship in the USA for International Students
Financing your degree in any school you wish to study abroad in USA shouldn’t be so much stress any longer. The first point of call for you is to check for a scholarship or financial aids from your college’s financial aids office. As almost every school in the U.S. provides financial aids to an international student seeking admission. Hence, before you apply to a school make sure they offer scholarships, grants or financial aid satisfactory to you. However, we’ve listed some generous offers for you:
Brandeis University offers payment for the “full demonstrated financial need of each recipient” of its international scholarship, including one round-trip air ticket each year.
Berea College offers a 100% scholarship to international students in their first year. After which each student is expected to pay $1,000 annually as a contribution to their expenses. Furthermore, the college also provides a summer job to help students meet this target.
Clark University offers international student scholarships from $20,000 to $25,000 per year. It also automatically considers applicant students qualified for merit-based grants.
The Illinois Wesleyan University awards candidates with outstanding academic performance and entrance exam test score scholarships ranging from $10,000 to $25,000 per year. This is renewable for up to four years.
In addition, some other colleges with generous scholarships for you are:
- Dartmouth College
- Emory University
- Iowa State University
- Michigan State University Global Spartan Leadership programme for international undergraduates.
Requirements to Study Abroad in USA 2021
The general requirement to study abroad in USA are enumerated below,
- Completed application form, proof of secondary school completion.
- Certificate of English language proficiency, usually TOEFL, SAT, ACT, etc.
- Evidence of financial support.
- In addition, the TOEFL scores required differ per university, so also are some other extra admission requirements. For instance, some colleges will request for only a ‘SAT I’ (Scholastic Assessment Test 1) result. While others may also require ‘SAT II’ subject tests. So be sure to check with your university of choice for specific requirements.
USA Student Visa for International Students
The United States issues three different visa types to international students.
F Student Visa: to students wishing to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at an English language institute.
J Exchange Visa: to students participating in an exchange program, including high school and university study.
M Student Visa: for non-academic or vocational study or training in the United States.
The F1 and J1 visas allow for the possibility of employment in the US during your stay, while the M1 Visa does not. I advise you get familiar with the types of visas, how they impact your financing while in the USA and how to go through the application and arrival processes.
Generally, prospective students will go through five stages when applying for a US student visa:
- Apply to and be accepted by a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP)-approved school in the US (six to twelve months prior to US study);
- Pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee;
- Complete a US student visa application along with recent photo(s);
- Pay the visa application fee;
- Schedule and attend a visa interview.
In this post, we’ve dealt with tips on getting into any college of your choice to study abroad in USA. And how to minimize cost while living there. Also, colleges offering you scholarships and fee waivers and finally some of the basic requirements for processing your visa to the U.S. as an international student.
I hope you did find what you seek to help you study abroad in the USA. Wishing you the very best.
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this post.
- Federal Government Scholarships 2021-2022 for Undergraduates and Postgraduates
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2021-2022 for Developing Countries [$50,000]
- Fully Funded Youth Opportunities for Africans 2021
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship 2021-2022 for Developing Countries (Masters & PhD)
- Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2021-2022
- 20 Scholarships for International Adoptees 2021-20222
- 20 Scholarships for Public Health in UK for International Students 2021-2022
- University of Toronto Acceptance/Admission Rate 2021-2022
- 20 Scholarships for People who have Lost a Parent 2021-2022
- 15 Scholarships for People with Disabilities 2021-2022
- 35+ Schools with Low Tuition Fees in Canada
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2021 and 2022.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content to your families and friends.