Study PhD in Finland: This is well-detailed and up-to-date information on everything you need to know to study for a Ph.D. in Finland. We have systematically compiled information on the requirements to study Ph.D. in Finland, the average cost to study Ph.D. in Finland, how to study Ph.D. in Finland with scholarships, available Ph.D. programs for international students, and all other questions that plague your mind.
Read More: Study Ph.D. in Canada| Requirements, Cost, Scholarships & How to Apply
It’s going to be an educative ride; let’s get started!!!
In Northern Europe, Finland’s striking situation and magnificent landscapes provide natural beauty and excellent research opportunities. Finland’s amazing scenery, safe cities, and high quality of life make the country a welcoming place to study Ph.D.
Regarding safety, the capital of Finland is one of the safest cities in the world. This makes it a pleasant place for international students to study.
Finland has figured out how to provide some of the best education in the world. Most Finns speak English, and Finnish universities offer many English-taught degree programs. The development of modern facilities supports an excellent higher education system that is very popular amongst international Ph.D. students.
Today Finland’s universities are rapidly developing, with several globally ranked institutions and policies encouraging international students to apply. So, yes, you can study Ph.D. in Finland, a transparent, open civic society where education is always a priority.
You can also count on the fact that Ph.D. in Finland is inexpensive. Therefore also provisions for international students to study Ph.D. in Finland with scholarships and obtain grants. So if you want to study Ph.D. in Finland, you must read this article until the end.
Keep reading to discover the requirements to study Ph.D. in Finland!!!
Is Finland a Good Place to Study Ph.D.?
As much as another study-abroad destination has uniqueness, Finland has a system of education that benefits everyone. In this section, we have compiled reasons studying Ph.D. in Finland is a brilliant choice.
Here are a few reasons Finland could be the place for you to study Ph.D. this year:
- Regardless of nationality, you won’t pay fees for doctoral study in Finland. No tuition fees for Ph.D. programs in Finland.
- With many PhDs, including an industrial link, you may apply your research skills in a working environment. Finnish universities support research and projects to be carried out in an actual working environment. This makes sitting more practical.
- Talking about geography, Finland has a beautiful landscape and scenery. Making it a pleasant place for cruising and fun.
- Your easy access to post-graduate work. There is no restriction on working for EU, EEA, and Nordic citizens in Finland, and international students from other countries can extend their visas for a year to find work.
- There is an opportunity for you to work and study, provided you can juggle everything and still be academically excellent.
- An illuminating experience – the northern lights are visible every other clear night between September and March in Lapland and southern Finland 10-20 times a year.
- You get to have excellent facilities for work and fun.
Considering this, you will see why Finland is one of the international students’ most popular study-abroad destinations.
Discover the cost to study Ph.D. in Finland below!!!
Read More: Study PhD in Germany| Requirements, Cost, Scholarships & How to Apply
List of Top Ph.D. Finnish Universities in 2023
- The University of Helsinki
- Aalto University
- The University of Oulu
- Tampere University
- Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology LUT
- The University of Turku
- University of Eastern Finland
- The University of Jyväskylä
- Åbo Akademi University
These are the top 20 universities where you can study Ph.D. in Finland. Securing admission into any of these universities will give you a plus.
Look at the requirements to study Ph.D. in Finland in 2023!!!
What are the Requirements Needed to Study Ph.D. in Finland?
The requirements to study Ph.D. in Finland are like other countries. Below is the list of the requirements to study Ph.D. in Finland;
- They will require a Master’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognized institution.
- An English language proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS) will be required if you’re studying in an English-taught university—Finnish language proficiency for Finnish universities.
- Academic records. Provide a full academic transcript from your previous institution and your degree certificates. These documents may need to be officially translated into Finnish and approved by a lawyer.
- Two academic references
- Cover letter
Other requirements to study Ph.D. in Finland will depend on the topic you are applying to research and the specific processes used by your university. If in doubt, check with your department.
Consider the cost of studying Ph.D. in Finland below!!!
What is the Average Cost to Study Ph.D. in Finland?
Talking about the cost of studying Ph.D. in Finland, it’s exciting to note that Finnish universities do not charge tuition fees for Ph.D. programs in Finland for international students. The cost of studying in Finland is free.
Although Finnish universities offer free tuition, there are a few fees you need to pay, such as the student’s union fee to the university, which ranges from €80-100 annually.
Also, before you send your application documents, consider the cost of living in Finland for international students. That the cost to study Ph.D. in Finland is free doesn’t make the cost of living free. Keep reading to know how much it entails to live in Finland.
You can study Ph.D. in Finland with scholarships; find out how below!!!
Read More: Study Ph.D. in Australia| Requirements, Cost, Scholarships & How to Apply
How Much Does it Cost to Live in Finland?
Even though there are no tuition fees for Ph.D. students in Finland, the cost of living in Finland can be relatively high compared to other countries. You should also know that the cost of living in Finland solely depends on your level of extravagance, lifestyle, and location in Finland. Some cities are more expensive than others.
We recommend that you have between €700-900 available monthly, depending on the city you study in.
Here’s what you are likely to spend in a month in Finland
- Rent in a shared flat. 436
- Share of utilities. 34
- Internet subscription 24
- Local transportation 58
Sample lifestyle cost
- Fast-Food combo. 8
- Cinema ticket 14
- Pint of local beer 6
To live comfortably, study Ph.D. in Finland with scholarships or work while studying.
Check out the available Ph.D. programs in Finland for international students below!!!
Can I Study Ph.D. in Finland with Scholarships?
You can. Most students get to study Ph.D. in Finland with scholarships, even though they don’t have to pay tuition fees. Scholarships.
Although you won’t pay tuition fees, you can study Ph.D. in Finland with scholarships. This will help fund your living costs whilst completing your Ph.D. within Finland.
There are many scholarships for Ph.D. programs in Finland. The following are available for international students:
- Finnish National Agency for Education (EDUFI) Fellowships–open to doctoral students from all countries, providing €1,500 per month for 3-12 months
- Finish Government Scholarship Pool–awarding €1,500 per month to students from specific countries to study for 3-9 months at Finnish universities or public research institutes.
- Fulbright Grant – providing €1,000-1500 per month for 9 months to US students studying abroad in Finland
Other scholarships include;
- SCAR Fellowships In Antarctic Research
- IAL Research Grants For Doctoral Studies
- Ciencia Sem Fronteiras (Science Without Borders, CSF)
- OECD CRP Research Fellowships
- Momeni Iranian Financial help Scholarships
- Flinders University Phil Hoffmann Travel Postgraduate Scholarship
- Tan Kah Kee Postgraduate Scholarships
Securing any of these scholarships will find your living cost by 80%. Apply now!!!
Check out these Ph.D. programs in Finland below!!!
Related Also: Study Ph.D. in USA| Requirements, Cost, Scholarships & How to Apply
Are the Ph.D. Programs in Finland for 2023?
Finland will have over 52 Ph.D. programs for international students in 2023. Here are a few of them;
- Hanken School of Economics, Department of Accounting and Commercial Law
- Ph.D. Commercial Law.
- Hanken School of Economics, Department of Economics
- Ph.D. Economics,
- Tampere University Finland
- Ph.D. International Doctoral Programme in Epidemiology
- Department of Management and organization Finland
- Ph.D. Entrepreneurship, Management, and organization
- The University of Vaasa
- Doctoral Programme in Business Studies
You can look out for more Ph.D. programs in Finland at the school of your choice website.
How do I Secure A Finnish Student Visa?
Getting a student visa to study in Finland depends on your nationality.
If you are from the EU or EEA, you will not need a visa to enter Finland and can remain there for up to 90 years without registering your presence. If you are from one of the other Nordic countries (Denmark, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden), the same applies, but you can remain up to six months before you need to register as a resident.
Students from other countries will need a student residence permit to study in Finland. This allows you to enter the country and remain there long enough to complete a Ph.D. You should begin the application process online and then take the following materials to your nearest Finnish embassy:
- The official letter of admission from your institution
- Proof of funds (showing that you will have access to at least €6,720 per year during your degree)
- A valid passport
- Valid travel and health insurance
Read More: Fellowship Opportunities in China– All You Need to Know to Become a Fellow in China
Frequently Asked Questions About Ph.D. Study in Finland
What’s the University System Like In Finland?
Finland has two types of higher education institutions, but only one offers doctoral-level degrees. They include;
Finland University of Applied Sciences
Finland’s 13 universities offer Ph.D. programs, promote independent academic research, and provide higher education based on research.
Finland’s 22 universities of applied sciences do not offer Ph.D. programs. They provide higher education for professional expert jobs and conduct applied research and development in activities promoting the industry.
To study Ph.D. in Finland, apply to a Finnish university, not a university of applied sciences. This should help guide your choice.
Which Cities are best for Higher Education Study in Finland?
Looking for a buzzing city in Finland? The following are the major hubs for higher education in Finland: Helsinki, Turku, Oulu, Tampere, and Jyväskylä.
Can you study in Finland for free?
Yes, you can! Suppose you are a citizen of a country in the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) countries, or Switzerland. In that case, you can study in Finland for free – you do not have to pay any tuition fees, regardless of your nationality.
How long does it take to study Ph.D. in Finland?
You will study for your Ph.D. in Finland for 4 years as a full-time student.
When is the deadline for Ph.D. Applications in Finland?
Application deadlines will vary: some universities have specific application windows, while others will be happy to hear from students throughout the year.
If you want to study at a Finnish university in autumn, i.e., September, you must apply via the official portal in January of the same year. The exact date varies slightly from year to year. Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences often also accept later applications, sometimes until March/April, to begin in the autumn of the same year.
Is there an Interview or exam to Complete a Finnish Ph.D. Application process?
Applications for a Finnish Ph.D. are often competitive, as universities don’t charge fees. Therefore, you may have to complete an interview during the selection process.
Interviews for international students will typically be conducted over a web chat facility such as Skype. You need not travel to Finland to get that done.
Can a Ph.D. Student Work While Studying?
Yes, you can work while studying in Finland. If you work alongside your studies, they limit your working hours. You may only work 25 hours per week during the academic term. They do not restrict the number of working hours on a weekly level. This means that you can adjust your weekly work.
To make your application process easier, you must gather the requirements to study Ph.D. in Finland, as stated above. Getting to study Ph.D. in Finland with scholarships is one way to aid your finances and have a smooth sail studying.
Check out the Ph.D. programs in Finland for international students and send in your application on time. While doing that, consider the cost of studying Ph.D. in Finland and get your finances ready.
We hope you found this piece enlightening. Contact us once you secure a spot in Finland as a Ph.D. Student.