United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) is one of Africa’s leading financial institutions, with operations in 19 African countries and 3 global financial centres: London, Paris and New York. From a single country organisation founded in 1949 in Nigeria UBA has grown to become a pan-African provider of financial services with over 11 million customers, through close to 1000 business offices and touch points globally.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Team Member, Employee Relations
Job Type: Permanent
- We are currently seeking a TM, Employee Relations (Work Ethics). The candidate for this position must have good writing and communication skill, and a good understanding of labour laws and the organisation’s policies.
- The TM, Employee Relations (Work Ethics) is involved with the disciplinary process & consequence management, industrial relations, litigation, active and ex-staff issues and CBN returns.
- Review reports of wrongdoings from different parts of the bank.
- Intermediate where necessary and sanction staff where the infraction is established.
- Review reports for Disciplinary Committee and initiates DC proceedings once investigation reports are received.
- Organise logistics for Disciplinary Committee sitting.
- Take minutes of Disciplinary Committee sittings.
- Guide Disciplinary Committee on policy provision vis-à-vis the infractions committed.
- Implement Disciplinary Committee decisions/recommendations.
- Review and formulate policies in conjunction with Risk Management, ensuing from gaps identified at DCS or emerging trends.
- Manage ASSBIFI, NUBIFIE and NUP.
- Coordinate occasional meetings with the different unions.
- Manage the relationship between the Unions effectively to achieve industrial peace and harmony.
- Advise Management on pain points of unionists and vice versa.
- Update ASSBIFI/NUBIFIE on emerging directions of the Bank as it affects the staff and ensures union buy-in.
- Liaise with PFA for the processing of pension payments.
- Liaise with expense management to process ex-gratia pension payment on the payday of every month.
- Receive and review complaints/petitions from active/ex-staff.
- Send an acknowledgement letter to the complainant.
- Review the staff records vis-à-vis complaints/petitions.
- Liaise with responsible officers and units for resolution.
- Seek Management’s approval for HCM’s recommendation based on the agreed resolution as may be necessary.
- Advice complainants of the outcome of their complaint /petition.
- Identify and collate staff disengaged from the bank on the grounds of fraud and forgeries.
- Prepare a schedule indicating the data for the period under review.
- Forward to Chief Inspector for review.
- Forward to Group Head, Human Resources for concurrence.
- Forward to GMD/CEO for sign-off.
- Forward the schedule to Investigations Unit for onward delivery to CBN in compliance with their circular.
- Forward the schedule to regulatory reporting for onward delivery to CBN.
- Download a list of sanctions bank-wide for the period under review.
- Review the list and align it with the necessary requirements/templates for payroll.
- Notify the relevant parties i.e. payroll team for proper application.
- Receive report from legal department on ex-staff’s statement of claims.
- Review the ex-staff’s records and respond to the statement of claim.
- Make a court appearance as a witness for the bank on the designated court date.
- Work in conjunction with compensation to advise the total staff benefits where decisions are in favour of the ex-staff and compensations are awarded.
- Forward advised benefits to legal for onward processing.
- First Degree in Law (LLB), Industrial Relations or any related field of study.
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant work experience
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Excellent knowledge of Labour Law.
- Good knowledge of the organisation’s policies and code of conduct.
- Organizational skills.
- Effective Communication.
- Good writing skills.
- Good reporting skills.
- Creative thinking.
What We Expect From You:
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and responsibility.
- Highly organised, proactive, ability to work independently and take ownership of tasks assigned.
- Team player with the ability to work under pressure and ability to work with a wide variety of people and maintain an excellent business relationship.
- High sense of confidentiality and discreteness.
What You Should Expect From Us:
- Our corporate culture is defined by our core values. We do not just train our people to be the best in the job, we also offer encouragement, recognition, and rewards.
- Whatever level you are at in your career, we offer plenty of opportunities and support to build a rewarding career at UBA.
- Here in UBA, our employees are our greatest assets and so we built a recognition and reward system that boosts productivity and enhances staff retention, instituting a culture of meritocracy.
Application Closing Date
12th September, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online