For you to be reading this article this minute means that you are a web developer seeking to know your job description.
Or perhaps, you are an employer looking for a job description template for web developers.
Whichever the case may be, this article is spot on what you need.
This article gives a step by step breakdown of a web designer’s duties and responsibilities.
In addition, it also highlights the qualifications and years of experience required for the job.
That’s not all, this article also spotlights the salary of website developers among many other things.
If this is what you are looking for in a topic like this, then continue reading.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a web developer?
Web development generally involves the building and maintenance of websites.
It is the work that happens behind the scenes to make a website look great, work fast and perform well with a seamless user experience.
For a website to look nice and become accessible to users, Web developers, or ‘devs’, have the responsibility of combining a variety of coding languages.
In addition to looking nice, websites need to be functional and secure.
It is therefore the responsibility of web developers to create such sites that meet the requirements of employers or clients.
A typical web developer job description includes
- Ability to create website wireframe and also present design specification.
- Create and test applications for websites
- Collaborate with graphic designers and programmers to produce the website.
- In addition, you must maintain constant communication with other colleagues in the business to develop and deploy their content. At the same time, ensuring there is a clear establishment of what can be created within what timeframe
- Research different software programs and also maintain software documentation for an easy transition.
- Troubleshoot website problems and implement contingency plans in case the website goes down.
- Maintain and update websites with new content after the deployment of the website.
- Monitor website traffic
- Stay up-to-date on technology
- Detailed Job Description Guide for Different Professions and Job Positions
- Job Description of a Human Resource Manager
- What are the Duties and Responsibilities of a Carpenter
- What are the Duties and Responsibilities of a Warehouse Manager?
- What does an Architect do? Full Job Description, Roles and Responsibilities
- What is the Job Description of a Bank Teller? [Full Job Duties, Roles and Responsibilities]
What are the qualifications and requirements for the job of a web developer?
A web developer works as an employee or contractor creating web-based applications for a company.
As a web developer, it is necessary for you to understand various programming languages and web design.
To start a job as a web developer, you need no more than a high school diploma.
Many high school classes cover the basics of web design and graphic design necessary to the field.
Also, some web developers are self-taught.
However, for more specialized developer positions, such as back-end web developers, some employers prefer workers who have at least a bachelor’s degree in computer science, programming, or a related field.
How many years of work experience do you need as a web developer?
A Web Developer must have experience in the planning and the delivery of web applications across multiple platforms.
Typically, a career transition into web development will take around one year.
For some people, the transition may be much faster, and for some, slower.
However, with the right effort, we a year is a reasonable time to become a proficient web developer.
After getting training or education in web development, it is wise to get on the job training and mentoring.
Grab an internship or an entry-level position at a web development company or digital marketing agency to learn from experts.
The more jobs you are able to work on from the start of your career, thr better for you.
This is because you can add all the website projects in your profile when applying for higher job positions as a web developer.
How much do web developers earn per year?
The amount of money web developers earn per year varies from one geological location to another.
Whole some earn more than average, there are still web developers who struggle.
It all boils down to how good you are on the job.
Some web developers work as freelancers, in this case, the earnings will depend on the effort put in marketing.
Generally, Web developers who can create and maintain attractive and user-friendly websites are in high demand.
And for those with proven ability have higher earning power, as expected
Below is a breakdown of what is obtainable for web developers.
- Median Annual Salary: $69,430 ($33.38/hour)
- Top 10% Annual Salary: $124,480 ($59.84/hour)
- Bottom 10% Annual Salary: $37,930 ($18.23/hour)
Please note that these figures are estimates and should not be seen as a standard.
What special skills do you require as a web developer?
Web developer skills refer to the specific abilities needed to get hired and successfully perform in a web developer role.
Having the right set of web developer skills is essential to success in this profession.
Though the exact skills necessary for someone in this profession will vary by company, the overall skill set web developers need are the same.
Web developers need a combination of graphic design skills and technical computer skills that will allow them to create particular designs on web pages.
Having these skills in abundance can help you stand out from other candidates vying for the same role and in your everyday tasks on the job.
As with any job, you also have the ability to develop your skills as a web developer over time.
Some web developer skills include understanding HTML, general design skills and being analytical.
Here’s a summary of the necessary skills for a web developer;
- HTML/CSS skills
- User Interface (UI) design skills
- Analytical skills
- Responsive design skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Testing and debugging skills
- Back-end basics
- Search engine optimization
What to expect as a web developer in a company
- There will be a lot of brainstorming session to give you some ideas on how to be unique and different from the other websites that are out there.
- You will have to collaborate with graphic designers, software engineers and other programmers in the company.
- The company will require you to be an expert in search engine optimization. You must know how to target keywords, and more importantly, what keywords to target for a particular product or service.
- If you are given a job that requires you to develop the website content as well, you must be topnotch at creating unique content.
- You will have to create a long term strategy that will allow you to continually compete in your niche and also improve your website design and rankings over time.
What kind of companies employ web developers?
There are a lot of businesses across many industries that might have occasional needs for web design services, but the following industries employ web designers on a larger scale, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- Computer systems design industry
- Digital publishing industry: Digital media and social media
- Public relations and advertising industries
- Data processing, website hosting and similar services
- Manufacturing industry: Electrical components, audio components and video components
- Software publishing industry
- Finance industry: Securities and commodities brokerages
Freelance web designers need not feel limited to working within these industries, as there are lucrative opportunities for freelance web designers in almost every industry.
Conclusion – Web Developer Job Description Guide
Working as a web developer is a good career choice.
However, you need to know the job description of a web developer to be able to stand out in your interview and on the job.
I hope this article brings some insight into your duties and responsibilities.
If you find this article helpful, then help share this on social media.
- What is the Job Description of a Teacher
- What is the Job Description of a Secretary?
- What is the Job Description of a Software Engineer?
- What is the Job Description of a Logistics Coordinator?
- What is the Job Description of a Dermatologist?
- What is the Job Description of a Flight Attendant?
- What is the Job Description of an Event Planner?
- What is the Job Description of a Physical Therapist?
- What is the Job Description of a Vet Tech?
- What is the Job Description of a Hotel Manager?