Yale Young African Scholars Program 2021
The Yale Young African Scholars Program 2021 is open for African Secondary School Students. The program is a fully-funded scholarship. Make do with this opportunity as it will help you or your child secure a good scholarship for undergraduate studies.
What You Need to Know About Yale Young African Scholars Program 2021
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) is an intensive academic and enrichment program designed for African secondary school students planning to pursue tertiary education and who wish to make a meaningful impact as young leaders on the continent.
Participants will enhance their academic skills, receive university admission and financial aid application guidance, and join a network of young leaders from across Africa.
Following the eight-day program, students will be paired with mentors who will help advise them throughout the university application process. There are no tuition, meal, or lodging costs for students to participate in YYAS.
Eligible Level/Fields of Study
The Yale Young African Scholars is open to students currently in secondary school. They will be offered admission based on the desired course of choice of the student.
The YYAS is an official program of Yale University. The scholar’s program is open to students of all African countries.
However, there are numerous international scholarships for international students to study in any country of choice.
You can check this our heavily recommended post “How to Study Abroad for Free in 2020-2021“.
The scholar’s program will be taken at Yale University in New Haven in the USA.
You can also find more USA scholarships for international students.
The program is a fully-funded one, that is to say, there are no tuition, meal, or lodging costs for students to participate in YYAS.
- Thanks to generous donors, YYGS is able to offer a limited number of Scholarships, which are Need-Based Financial Aid packages that cover full-tuition ($6,300 USD) and travel costs.
- In order to be considered for one of these scholarships (below), you MUST have completed the entire online YYGS Application, including the Need-Based Financial Aid portion..
- As part of reviewing your financial aid request, YYGS staff will automatically review whether or not you meet any of our 2021 scholarships’ eligibility requirements, and contact you when decisions are released by mid-March
- Apply early to receive a discount on your application fee. If the fee poses a financial burden, you can submit a fee waiver to reduce your application fee to $0 USD. For more information visit the Application Deadlines page.
In order to apply to YYAS, applicants MUST fulfill all of the following requirements:
- Age: Be at least 16 years old by July 19, 2021 (first day of Session III).
- English Fluency: Be able to participate in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Grade Level: Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent).
- Graduation Date: Be graduating in May/June 2022 or 2023 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2021 or 2022 from the Southern Hemisphere.
- YYGS Participation: Be a first-time participant in YYGS. If you have participated in any YYGS session during a previous summer (e.g., 2020, 2019), then you are not eligible to participate during YYGS 2021.
- Please note: If you previously applied to YYGS but were not offered admission or were unable attend AND you meet the eligibility criteria noted above, then you are encouraged to re-apply for YYGS 2021.
Duration of Program:
(June 21-July 3)
- Innovations in Science & Technology (IST I)
- Literature, Philosophy, & Culture (LPC I)
- Politics Law & Economics (PLE I)
- Solving Global Challenges (SGC I)
(July 5 – July 17)
- Innovations in Science & Technology (IST II)
- Literature, Philosophy, & Culture (LPC II)
- Politics Law & Economics (PLE II)
- Solving Global Challenges (SGC II)
(July 19-July 31)
A Standard YYAS participant includes:
- Excellent academic records
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A desire and ability to work cooperatively with peers
- Persistence and determination when facing challenges
- High standards of personal and professional conduct
- The capacity to read, analyze, and reflect on large quantities of difficult material in English
- Demonstrated maturity and interest in engaging in discussions about intellectual, moral, and political matters in Africa
How to Apply for Yale Young African Scholars Program 2021
Important Notes: We encourage all potential applicants to begin and complete their applications as soon as possible to ensure all materials are submitted by the deadline.
Application closes by 10th November, 2020 11:59pm ET.
EDITOR’S RECOMMENDED POSTS
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this article.
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2020-2021 for Developing Countries [$50,000](Opens in a new browser tab)
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarships 2020-2021 for Developing Countries
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship Programme 2020 in UK (Fully Funded)(Opens in a new browser tab)
- Adelaide Scholarships International 2020-2021 in Australia(Opens in a new browser tab)
- Boston University Presidential Scholarship 2020-2021 for International Students in the USA
- Latest Scholarships in Nigeria 2019-2020 for Nigerian Students
We hope this article helped you determine what you searched or looking for. You may also like some of our recommended posts above.
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2021 and 2022.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content to your families and friends.