In this post, we’ll discuss how to link your NIN with your GLO SIM so that you’ll not be blocked from using your mobile line in the next two weeks.
1. What is NIN?
The National Identification Number (NIN) is the unique number which identifies you as a Nigerian and is issued to you at the completion of enrolment into the National Identity Database (NIDB) by NIMC. Once a NIN is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned, given or used by another person – that makes it unique in nature. All citizens and legal residents in Nigeria, from age zero (birth) and above are eligible to enroll for their NINs.
2. What is NIMC?
National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) is the legal body established by the NIMC Act No. 23 of 2007 with the mandate to establish, own, operate, maintain and manage the National Identity Database in Nigeria, register persons covered by the Act, assign a Unique National Identification Number (NIN) and issue General Multi-Purpose Cards (GMPC) to those who are citizens of Nigeria as well as others legally residing within the country.
3. How do I register for NIN?
You can register in any NIMC Enrolment Centre (ERC) close to you. Please visit the website www.nimc.gov.ng for a list of all enrollment centers nationwide.
4. How can I confirm my NIN number?
Upon successful enrolment, a Transaction Slip is issued. You are then informed when to come for collection of your NIN. A second slip called the National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is issued when you collect your NIN. The NIN Slip has your 11 Digit Number at the top left corner, second row. You can also dial *346# and press 1. Please note that you will be charged N20.
- How to Link Your NIN with Your MTN SIM
- How to Link Your NIN with Your Airtel SIM
- How to Link Your NIN with Your 9Mobile SIM
5. Will I be charged for checking?
Yes, you will be charged N20 only when you dial *346# then press 1.
6. Can I be registered in any Glo office?
Kindly visit the website https://www.nimc.gov.ng/nimc-enrolment-centres/ for the list of enrolment centers.
7. I have more than one phone number, how do I link them?
Kindly send UPDATENIN NIN number firstname lastname to 109 (e.g. Updatenin 12345678903 Chidera Abdul-ola) using the phone number you wish to link or visit www.gloworld.com/ng/nin . All Glo numbers must send the message to 109.
8. Can you help me link my other GLO number?
Kindly send UPDATENIN NIN number firstname lastname to 109 (e.g. Updatenin 12345678903 Chidera Abdul-ola) using the phone number you wish to link or visit www.gloworld.com/ng/nin . All Glo numbers must send the message to 109 in order to link their phone number with their NIN.
9. I got this message “Dear esteemed customer, your NIN has been successfully received”. Is this a confirmation that my NIN is updated?
No, it is just an acknowledgment of NIN receipt.
10. What is the verification code in the website link www.gloworld.com/ng/nin?
It is for security control and confirmation. Just any 2 numbers of your choice.
11. How will I know if my MSISDN is already updated with my NIN?
Glo will send a confirmation message when NIN is updated with MSISDN to all customers.
12. If I try it on my line and I am not registered, will I be charged N20?
No please. In such instance an error message will pop up on your phone to indicate that the transaction was not successful.
13. Why do i need the NIN number?
The NIN will be used to create records about an individual into the National Identity Database and is also used as a valid means of verifying and confirming individual identity.
14. I have misplaced my NIN card or slip, how can I collect another one?
Kindly visit any bank around you, pay a token of N500 through REMITA at any bank nearest to you; provide your Remita Teller to any NIMC Enrolment Centre (ERC) near you and request for a NIN slip print.
15. Will my line be blocked if my NIN is not captured?
Yes. The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) has instructed all telecommunications operators to block all lines not paired with NIN Number by December 30th 2020.
16. I was able to view my NIN number on my bank app, why is GLO charging me N20?
This is a billable service as a confirmatory notification will be sent to you upon dialing the code. The USSD code works for all networks.
17. Can i update my spouse, brother or parent NIN?
No, you cannot. It is a personal identification number. Everybody is to enroll for their NIN individually.
18. My SIM was registered with my voter card, and not the national card. Am I going to be affected?
This directive is to all Nigerian citizens who are telecoms subscribers. Your NIN must be paired with your SIM database details. You can register at any NIMC Enrollment Centre close to you. Kindly visit the website www.nimc.gov.ng for the list of all enrollment centers nationwide.