Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS’ Nigeria office is implementing a 2-year, Germany government project entitled, “Stabilization and Reconciliation in the Lake Chad Region (STaR)” in the North East of Nigeria. Through programming in agriculture & livelihoods, social cohesion, community infrastructure and local governance, the project is intended to contribute to the stabilization and reconciliation in the most affected regions of the Lake Chad Basin namely Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states in Nigeria, Diffa in Niger and, the Lake Region in Chad.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Infrastructure Officer
Job Code: 200000LT
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 75 % of the Time
Job: Program Management
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
- Under the direct supervision of the Infrastructure Manager, the post holder will be fully responsible for programing of infrastructure activities within target areas including leading community led needs assessment, engineering technical assessments, analysis, designs and engineering drawing of community infrastructure projects including preparing bills of quantities, supervising / implementing community infrastructure activities and ensuring quality construction implementation of infrastructure projects.
- The post holder will similarly be responsible for field monitoring the vendors / construction company activities adhering to established monitoring processes for works, ensuring safety of construction teams, adherence to KFW, Government of Nigeria and CRS construction policies and legislation.
- The post holder will ensure compliance with International Environmental, Social, Health and Safety (ESHS) standards on site.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
Project Implementation and Technical Support:
- Provide supervisory role to Infrastructure assistant(s) for program activities including ensuring staff capacity development.
- Responsible for and participate in the production of quality technical designs and drawings for selected infrastructure projects according to relevant engineering standards in the state.
- Responsible for and participate in the preparation of bill of materials for cash for work projects and bills of quantities for contractor-led infrastructure projects.
- Responsible for and participate in the Preparation of project specifications, QA/QC monitoring plans and checklists for infrastructure activities.
- Responsible for and participate in technical assessments for infrastructure feasibility and design.
- Responsible for and participate in the preparation of community infrastructure rehabilitation plans and leading validation activity of at community level.
- With support from Governance team, Lead Infrastructure community engagement at all stages of project implementation.
- Responsible for and participate in the supervision of community-led and private sector led construction works to ensure adherence to approved technical designs, drawings and specifications.
- Participate in routine monitoring construction projects and reports on construction progress based on established process, ensuring requisite safety precautions are taken during construction in accordance with KFW and CRS policies and guidelines
- Work closely with Procurement team to ensure timely delivery of materials to specification and with community leadership to ensure proper and secure storage of construction materials.
- Flag variations with implementation of project activities and report to Infrastructure manager including leading implementation of necessary actions to ensure alignment.
- Support the partner staff with community leaders to identify both skilled and unskilled CFW beneficiaries. Oversee the training of CFW beneficiaries.
- Support partner staff to prepare weekly projections including tools and material needs including cash projections for CFW payments to ensure enough materials and money is available.
- Support partner staff to establish, train and mentor infrastructure operation and maintenance (O&M) committees.
- Provide support other STaR project components with project implementation and ensure coordination of activities to ensure integrated approach across components and across STaR locations.
- Other duties as requested by STaR Infrastructure Manager.
Coordination and Representation:
- Work closely with other STaR and CRS staff to liaise with community members, including displaced communities to draft community infrastructure rehabilitation plans (CIRPs).
- Ensure coordination of CRS Infrastructure activities with similar initiatives funded by other donors / implemented by government MDAs / various stakeholders in target areas.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL):
- In coordination with the MEAL Officer, ensure timely, quality capturing of MEAL data on infrastructure component.
- Ensure timely provision of information for completion of project performance tools including detailed implementation plans (DIPs) and indicator tracking tables (ITT) as it relates to Infrastructure activities and deliverables.
- Contribute to ensuring accountability to project beneficiaries and local stakeholders
- Provide regular support to Infrastructure Manager (using standardized formats) and provide weekly, monthly and quarterly reporting on implementation of Infrastructure activities to the STaR leadership.
- English, Hausa,
- Infrastructure Assistant(s)
Key Working Relationships:
- Internal: Infrastructure manager, Governance Officer, Livelihoods Assistant, MEAL officer, MEAL Assistant, SILC Assistant, and CRS Head of Office.
- External: STaR project Implementing partners, local and international NGOs, Local coordination platforms, LGA officials, Ward/Village Development committees, Community Leaders, and Government Ministries Departments and Agencies.
- Higher National Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Building, Civil Engineering or any relevant field.
- 4 years of overall experience in construction design and on-site construction supervision
- Experience in implementing community infrastructure projects.
- Proves experience with AutoCAD, RCC spreadsheets and other common software in structural designs.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good time management skills with the ability to work on multiple tasks
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Excellent organization, planning and analytical skills; detail-oriented
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with demonstrated strength in relationship management
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What We Offer
- CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Before you apply, it is very important you learn the following;
- East tips on how to write a motivation letter
- Why you Need a Good CV and Cover Letter
- 27 Easy Tips on How to Prepare for an Interview
- This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
- CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
- Nigerian Nationals Only