The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Public Health Specialist – All Interested Candidates (Senior Program Specialist Data Science)
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-045
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series / Grade: LE – 0550 11
Work Schedule: Full-time – 40 hours per week
Promotion Potential: LE-11
Telework Eligible: No
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 04. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: 50% or less
- Periodically, job holder will be expected to travel to visit implementing partners’ offices and/or project sites to monitor progress of activities and to provide onsite technical assistance to CDC partners. Approximately, 25-30% of time will be spent on official travel.
- Under the supervision of the Branch Chief for Monitoring & Evaluation and Data Science, the incumbent will provide leadership, technical advice and expertise to CDC Nigeria in conducting advanced analytics to better inform HIV program through complex relations with and between routine program monitoring indicators, survey and surveillance data and data from other sources.
- The job holder is expected to work with subject matter experts to address program implementation challenges and enhance CDC Nigeria’s capacity to integrate data analytics into routine decision making.
- The incumbent will analyze large routine program data to find patterns, analyze trends and predictions that will help improve patient and program outcomes, and lead to better decisions.
- The incumbent will provide technical expertise in data science to improve the quality of HIV/AIDS services that CDC Nigeria is providing in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH).
- Incumbent will develop appropriate data management systems to monitor health objectives and indicators for HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment programs.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- A Master’s Degree in one of the following disciplines: Public Health, Epidemiology, Medicine, Computer Science or Behavioral Sciences.
- Note: NYSC Certificate or Exemption document is required.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrable professional experience working in the field of data science research or statistics in a health/medical research organization, university or public health program implementing agency based in a developing country.
- Incumbent must have a good understanding of HIV/AIDS program, practical experience working within a data science ecosystem – R + RStudio (Tidyverse & geospatial related packages) + Git (or strong willingness to learn it).
- Incumbent must be familiar with programming for data analytics, especially and ideally Python, SQL and/or R, machine-learning and research.
- Advanced knowledge of program evaluation strategies and techniques as well as infectious disease prevention activities.
- Additionally, s/he must possess expert knowledge of the application of program management and the translation of evaluation data as it pertains to the improvement of program operations, guidelines, and policies.
- Must be familiar with the health care system and structure in Nigeria.
- Incumbent must possess knowledge and understanding of the principles of organizational management and be familiar with the work of CDC.
- Good working knowledge of overall administrative requirements, budgeting and fiscal management in support of cooperative agreements/grants is required.
- Must have vast knowledge of the working of host government as well as its program strategies.
- This may be tested. Applicants must specify level of proficiency in the language listed.
- Fluent speaking / reading / writing of English is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- The incumbent must be highly skilled in advanced Statistics, Mathematics and be committed to problem-solving, critical and strategic thinking.
- Incumbent must have the ability to break down and understand complex problems, define a solution and implement it using advanced quantitative methods.
- Incumbent must possess organizational skill, technical expertise, knowledge of software development principles and architecture, analytical and problem-solving abilities, as well as excellent oral and written communication skills, especially around analytical concepts and methods.
- Incumbent will be expected to make presentations during weekly leadership meetings, at conferences and technical meetings organized in supported of host government.
- Job holder must possess great work ethic and, professional and intellectual curiosity, as well as the ability to shape broad analytic requests, summarize appropriate data and produce compelling data visualization products using programming languages (R or Python), data visualization software (Tableau, Power BI), or spreadsheet processing software (Excel, Google Sheets).
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required to develop and maintain effective, sustainable working relationships with national and international working partners and to prepare required written reports is required.
- Job holder must have good keyboard/typing skills and use of Microsoft Word.
- Ability to lead project teams and workgroups and to develop effective working relationships with national and international working partners is required.
- The incumbent will be expected to exercise considerable ingenuity in applying guidelines to unique and different settings as the work is highly complex and can be threatening to stakeholder.
- The incumbent will also be expected to exercise considerable innovation during his/her attempts to influence other collaborative organizations engaged in HIV/AIDS prevention programs to adopt appropriate data science and data analytics strategies for their program activities.
- Considerable innovation will be required to influence other collaborative organizations engaged in HIV/AIDS programs to adopt appropriate strategies for their program activities.
- The incumbent must demonstrate excellent numerical skills for manipulating and reporting statistical data.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service.
- Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
N15,890,203 (USD60,061) Annually.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Application Closing Date
11th May, 2022.
How to Apply
Interestes and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the “APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application proces. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Degree (not transcript)
- NYSC Certificate or Exemption documents
- Certificate or License
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
- For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
- Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Abuja, Nigeria.
You can also check the following
- 10 Ways To Make Money Online While Unemployed
- How to Write a Follow Up Email after Submitting Your Resume
- How to Email a Resume and Cover Letter Attachment
- Top 10 Resume Mistakes to Avoid
- 6 Tips That Will Help You to Get Experience for Your Dream Job
- Online Jobs that require little or no experience
- How To Apply For jobs online | 7 Amazing Tips You Need to Know