Study Abroad in Greece 2020 – How to Get Scholarship to Study Abroad in Greece. Greece is known for many things. But more popularly, the Olympic games, as the cradle of western civilization and as the birthplace of democracy. If you wish to study abroad in Greece, this land of ancient wonders aged thousands of years and home to many great philosophers. Then this article will give you an explicit description of all you need to do to get on a Greek campus as an international student.
- Free Online Courses at Yale University in 2020-2021
- Free Online Courses with Certificate of Completion
- Best Schools for Aerospace Engineering, 2020
- Free online Courses for Developing Countries in 2020-2021
- Free Online Courses from Harvard University in 2020-2021
- Short Courses in Nigeria 2020-2021
- 10 Best Online Photography Courses in 2020-2021
Get access to over 1000 free online courses
- Read Also
- Things You Need to Know Before Studying Abroad in Greece
- Can I Study Abroad in Greece for Free?
- Are there Cheap Universities in Greece for International Students?
- Cost of Living in Greece as an International Student
- Study Abroad Programs
- Scholarships in Greece for International Students
- Government Scholarships for International Students in Greece
- ALBA Graduate Business School Scholarship
- Aristotle University Scholarship
- Fulbright Greece Award Program
- US Scholars Fulbright program
- Act Scholarships
- TEI of Epirus, Arta
- Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund
- Bodossaki Foundation Scholarships
- Greece-Turkey Fulbright Joint Research Award
- Bulgaria-Greece Fulbright Joint Research
- Requirements to Study Abroad in Greece
- EDITORS RECOMMENDATION
Things You Need to Know Before Studying Abroad in Greece
There’s a Lot to See
Without doubt, all the stories you’ve heard about Greece are most likely true, just in different versions. The ancient country has a lot of archeological destinations, increasing its touristic appeal. A Mediterranean climate, historical sites, lovely beaches and islands, exuberant nightlife, monumental cities, name it all. You’ll have a golden opportunity to see all the beauty there is, while studying abroad in Greece.
Greek and Education
Greece is indeed a one of a kind experience to have owing to the amount of pleasure and comfort it presents to you while at your stay there. You may however want to learn a few Greek words before leaving for Greece because 99% of the total population speak Greek. Although Greek is an incredibly difficult language to learn, it is interesting and the language for teaching. Specific courses are taught in English but you would have to view your university’s course if there are such options available for such as most of the courses are taught in Greek. The international office offers intensive training courses for international students in Greek.
As much fun as there is in Greece, the education you receive are highly valued. Many Greek university ranking well in the world rankings for university. Not surprising though as Greece is the home to some of history’s great minds, like Socrates Pythagoras, Aristotle and Plato. The education system is indeed brilliantly impressive.
Free Site Visitation for You
The courses offered in Greece by the students allow them the opportunity to explore the islands and amazing scenery. By implication, some courses base their learning outside of the classroom on a hands-on and experiential basis. So be rest assured that whether you have the money or the desire to travel around, it’ll be granted to you for free.
Greece is Hot!
Sunny days are like most the days in the Greece. Although as beautiful Mediterranean weather may appear, the temperature ranges between 72˚F to 90˚F. Beware not to pack up a lot of jackets and warmers during the summer.
In Greece there’s a common saying. Do it tomorrow for today we enjoy life. The longer you stay, you begin to grasp the beauty of this saying and also the implications. There’s a lot of fun to have, food to eat, wine to drink and revelry. But also, the implication is that things don’t happen on time here. For instance, shops won’t be open when they should be. As beautiful as it gets, keeps your hopes of timeliness on the low to avoid disappointment.
Can I Study Abroad in Greece for Free?
Studying abroad as an international student for free never comes as a bad idea, but for Greece there’s a little constraint. Free education in Greece is for citizens of Greece and citizens of EU member countries at public universities. All other international students are required to pay for tuition around EUR 1500 per academic year. Which includes textbooks for the chosen course.
Are there Cheap Universities in Greece for International Students?
Greece is one of the most scenic countries in the world, and also one of the cheapest countries to live in Europe. Being a budget-friendly country for international students who wish to study abroad in Greece, there are quite a number of cheap universities to select from. Below is a list for you:
- University of Crete Tuition fees: From EUR 500
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki Tuition fees: From EUR 650
- Athens University of Economics and Business Tuition fees: From EUR 500
- University of Macedonia Tuition fees: From EUR 400
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Tuition fees: From EUR 800
- University of Patras Tuition fees: From EUR 550
Cost of Living in Greece as an International Student
The cost of living in Greece is very affordable, to say the least. Being one of the European countries that operate on low living cost. Offering you an unparalleled lifestyle and cultural heritage at a low expense, what more can be asked? For less developed countries, the cost may seem a bit similar to your home country or slightly more expensive but on a comparative base, it is really favourable.
What is the Average Cost of Living in Greece as an International Student?
This question must be in your thoughts if you want to be aptly prepared for your study in Greece. And we’ve got just the answer for you. The cost of living averages at about EUR 600 per month. According to a research survey, Greece is 18% lower than the US in cost of living. Coupled with this, the health care services in Greece are very good and also cheaper than in other European countries and the US.
Accommodation is also low and you can find apartments to let at 300 EUR as against other European countries where you could have starting prices as much as twice this price. Below us a break down to give you an idea of the average expenditure in Greece.
Study Abroad Programs
- Restaurant Meal €10.00
- Cinema Ticket €7.50
- Monthly Travel Pass €30.00
- Monthly Utilities €144.57
- McMeal at McDonalds (or Equivalent Combo Meal) 6.00 €
- Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught) 4.00 €
- Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 4.50 €
- Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle) 1.72 €
- Water (0.33 liter bottle) 0.50 €
- Milk (regular), (1 liter) 1.31 €
- Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g) 0.79 €
- Rice (white), (1kg) 1.72 €
- Eggs (regular) (12) 3.17 €
- Local Cheese (1kg) 8.35 €
- Beef Round (1kg) (or Equivalent Back Leg Red Meat) 9.27 €
- Apples (1kg) 1.59 €
- Banana (1kg) 1.53 €
- Oranges (1kg) 1.16 €
- Tomato (1kg) 1.55 €
- Potato (1kg) 0.88 €
- Lettuce (1 head) 0.61 €
- Water (1.5liter bottle) 0.82 €
- Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range) 6.00 €
- Cigarettes 20 Pack (Marlboro) 4.60 €
- One-way Ticket (Local Transport) 1.40 €
- Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) 3.50 €
- Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff) 0.74 €
- Taxi 1hour Waiting (Normal Tariff) 11.81 €
- Gasoline (1 liter) 1.57 €
- Basic (Electricity, Heating, Cooling, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment 148.56 €
- 1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local (No Discounts or Plans) 0.37 €
- Internet (60 Mbps or More, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL) 33.12 €
- Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult 30.91 €
- Tennis Court Rent (1 Hour on Weekend) 18.95 €
- 1 Pair of Jeans (Levis 501 Or Similar) 70.74 €
- 1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store (Zara, H&M, …) 28.34 €
- 1 Pair of Nike Running Shoes (Mid-Range) 70.94 €
- 1 Pair of Men Leather Business Shoes 91.28 €
Cheapest Cities in Greece for International Students
We all can agree that Greece is a dream destination for anyone with a good imagination and curiosity. But sometimes expenses limit our imaginations. So we’ll give you a list of the cheapest cities you may choose to base your study in to reduce the weight on your budget. And yet have a fulfilling stay in Greece.
Scholarships in Greece for International Students
Although there are not seem to be many scholarships for international students to study abroad in Greece, but we’ve compiled a list of quality scholarships you can get that are worth it. These are high paid scholarship to both local and foreign students but are sometime competitive.
Government Scholarships for International Students in Greece
All public universities in Greece are government-run and scholarship opportunities are mostly from the government and some others from foundations. The government tries to subsidize the cost of students studying abroad in Greece. Hence providing scholarship opportunities for them. Unlike private universities with high costs for tuition and other expenses. Below is a list of some generous government-sponsored offers.
The ALBA Graduate Business School offers a part paid scholarship to Master’s degree international students in strategic human resource management. You’ll need to possess a Bachelor’s degree, tender your proficiency in English test result, alongside you GRE OR GMAT scores. This offer covers half the tuition fee of the respective student.
The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki offers scholarships to a number of applicants each year. This scholarship spans for both undergraduate and graduate degree programs for foreign students who are neither residents nor citizens of Greece. It reaches across the board for all other nationalities and courses at the university.
This scholarship is available to all candidates interested in academic research or lecturing in any discipline at various cultural, educational or vocational institutions in Greece. The awardees receive generous financial support during and after their term of scholarship as well.
Monthly stipend of $ 2100 roundtrip fare from the place of residence in the to Greece and back
The American college of Thessaloniki awards scholarships to international students who wish to study abroad in Greece. Based upon merit, it awards $ 1000 to sophomores and above who meet certain other academic requirements of CGPAs.
TEI of Epirus, Arta, Greece offers Ph.D. scholarships to willing students who intent to pursue a degree in biological engineering or biosciences. It is awarded for three years and you must possess extensive research experience. You must possess a master’s degree and intend to study any of the following courses:
- Tissue Engineering
- Cell Biology
- Biomedical Engineering
- Veterinary Medicine
- Musculoskeletal Biology and similar fields
The Sasakawa Young Leaders Fellowship Fund is another thrilling opportunity where Six scholarships in Greece for international student are awarded, to every suitably qualified student and/ researcher the prize is $8300.
The Bodossaki Foundation Scholarships gives financial assistance to outstanding students at undergraduates, and postgraduates levels to ease their study in Greece.
This gives one award per year to candidates at all levels but preference for Master’s and Ph.D. students. Application is only available for particular field of study.
Requirements to Study Abroad in Greece
Greek universities also require a number of documents to show that you are the best fit for the position you applied for. Don’t be scared though. They are just the everyday things you’ve gathered over the years and just a little more. Although we highly recommend you check with your university of choice for more detail on specific admission requirements, below is a list of some common documents that are generally asked:
- A recognized secondary school certificate
- Minimum GPA (grade point average) as specified by university
- English language certificate for English-taught Bachelors (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, C1 Advanced)
- Greek language certificate for all Bachelors. Greek universities require all their undergraduate students to know some Greek. If you are admitted to a Bachelor’s and you do not know Greek, you will have to take a one-year preparatory course.
Admission requirements for a Master’s in Greece
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- 2-4 years of work experience (applies only to MBA programmes)
- English language certificate (TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic, C1 Advanced) with a minimum grade score of B or 7 on a scale from 1.0 to 9.0
- GMAT scores of at least 500 (applies mostly to MBAs)
- GPA of at least 7.5 on a scale from 1 to 10
If you do not however meet the listed criteria, do not worry as the admission criteria vary significantly across universities. So you’ll be sure to find a university with less strict criteria.
Greece Student Visa Requirement
Applying for a Greek visa can be stressful at times, but carefully following the embassy instructions would get you your visa in good time. Make sure you complete all the steps on time and have all the required documentation to support your application. There are two visa forms: the Schengen visa, for a short stay and the National visa application form. Complete, print and sign two copies of the national visa application form for a long period of study in Greece.
- A filled application form
- Valid international passport
- Two recent passport
- Health insurance
- Proof of accommodation
- Evidence of sufficient financial means or support
- Travel itinerary (proof of two-way air ticket, for return flight)
- Medical certificate (showing that you are free from certain health conditions like tuberculosis, STDs, and mental disorders)
- If you are minor, additional requirements are:
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate of parents.
We’ve come to the end, hope you read carefully through all there is to studying abroad in Greece. All succinctly put the analysis of cost, scholarship opportunities and requirements should help see you through the admission process. By following all the guides given in this post I hope you get yourself into a Greek university and experience all there is to Greece firsthand. I wish you the very best.
Here are some of our recommended posts you can check out alongside this post.
- Federal Government Scholarships 2020-2021 for Undergraduates and Postgraduates
- OPEC/OFID Scholarships 2020-2021 for Developing Countries [$50,000]
- Fully Funded Youth Opportunities for Africans 2020
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship 2020-2021 for Developing Countries (Masters & PhD)
- Canadian Scholarships for International Students 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for International Adoptees 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for Public Health in UK for International Students 2020-2021
- University of Toronto Acceptance/Admission Rate 2020-2021
- 20 Scholarships for People who have Lost a Parent 2020-2021
- 15 Scholarships for People with Disabilities 2020-2021
- 35+ Schools with Low Tuition Fees in Canada
If you like this article, then subscribe to our weekly scholarship update. There you will be able to receive scholarships you can apply for in 2020 and 2021.
Thanks for reading, Please share this content to your families and friends.