At the mention of“Chevening” , What comes to mind? Scholarships, right?. Chevening Scholarships is just a tip of the chevening offer. The organization offers fellowship programs too. Many refer to it as the most popular fellowship program in the world today. This detailed piece enlightens you on all you need to know about the chevening fellowship in 2021. This means you will figure out how to become a chevening fellow, the application process and deadline. Furthermore, we give you experts advise on how to become a Chevener in 2021.
To that regard, we employ you to read till the end to get the best of this article. Welcome aboard!!!
Just like other fellowship programs, this program aims at giving you a graduate experience. Chevening fellowship receive over 2000 application every year. Due to its remarkable method of fellowshipping, many consider it the best fellowship program. Of course, this is if you are eligible.
However, this program is not open to all. The selection process is dicey and highly competitive. Winning this fellowship requires you to be an Alpha student. Interestingly, there is no limit to how many times you can apply.
Chevening application comes yearly. And depending on the type of chevening fellowship, you can apply twice in a year.
What is Chevening Fellowship?
Chevening fellowship is a Britain’s public diplomacy effort to offer platforms to mid-career professionals. These mid-career professionals must have reached an influential position. Secondly, they must have a passion to increase their knowledge, networks, and potential through tailored short courses, research, or professional placements at UK institutions.
This fellowship program offers dynamic training, professional development, and other opportunities. This affords scholars the opportunity to spend time in the UK researching subject matters that apply to their profession and UK’s international strategic priorities.
Chevening program accepts applicants from across the globe but the deadline differs. Regardless of your nationality. Employees seek to employ Chevening fellows due to the level of excellence in training.
CHECK OUT THESE FELLOWSHIP DESTINATIONS!!!
Who are Chevening Fellows?
Truth be told, Chevening is not for everyone. To become a chevening fellow, you must be outstanding. Cheveners are often people of significant standing in their individual countries. Therefore, a Chevening fellow is a scholar who has won a Chevening Fellowship.
Before you apply to become a Chevener,
- You must have completed some element(s) of higher education already.
- Be in a significant position.
- You must be influential in your home country.
These three define who a chevener is. In other words, if you’re not in the category, DO NOT APPLY!!!
Keep reading to discover the eligibility criteria for the chevening application.
What are Chevening Fellowship Objectives?
Every firm and establishments have their mission statement. To achieve their mission statement, they follow a set of objectives. The same applies for Chevening. Below, we have outlined what you should expect before sending your application to Chevening to become a fellow.
Chevening objectives include;
- Supporting mid-career professionals already in influential leadership position to enhance and expand their knowledge, skills, and expertise.
- Providing a platform for dynamic training, professional development, or research opportunities.
- To position Chevening as an internationally competitive award scheme through the diversity of awards offered under Chevening.
- Creating lasting positive relationships with future leaders, influencers and decision makers.
- Supporting foreign policy priorities and achieving FCDO objectives by through valuable soft power networks.
Early application can aid you overcome the stress of Chevening deadline.
What Makes Chevening Fellowship Unique?
Fellowships comes with mouth watering opportunities. Aside from the fact that you get financial help from Chevening, you have privilege to other opportunities. Chevening fellowships gives scholars platform to;
- Work, learn and earn.
- Undertake their program at pre-set times throughout the year.
- Collaborate with colleagues and professionals in an enriching environment.
- Carryout their training, short course or self-directed professional or academic research.
What are the Eligibility Criteria for Chevening Application?
Applying for Chevening means YOU MUST MEET THEIR ELIGIBLITY CRITERIA. In other words, Chevening fellowship is not for everyone. To apply, you must;
- Beat Chevening application deadline.
- Not be a British or hold dual citizenship.
- Be a citizen of a fellowship-eligible country or territory.
- Meet all programme-specific fellowship eligibility requirements.
- Have the potential to rise to a position of leadership and influence.
- Return to your country of citizenship at the end of the period of the fellowship.
- Not have won any UK Government scholarship funding within the last five years.
- Have a postgraduate level qualification or an equivalent at the time of application.
- Show the personal, intellectual and interpersonal attributes reflecting these potentials.
- Not be an employee, a former employee, or relative of an employee (since July 2016) of Her Majesty’s Government. This also includes Association of Commonwealth Universities.
Is Chevening Fellowship Fully Funded?
Chevening fellowship covers almost all the expenses a fellow might incur. The Value of chevening award include;
- An arrival allowance
- Payment of programme/tuition fees.
- An outward excess baggage allowance.
- Monthly personal living allowance to cover living expenses.
- Return economy airfare to the UK from the fellow’s home country.
- Reimbursement of an entry clearance (visa) application for fellows.
- Travel top up to attend Chevening events in the UK (depending on host location)
- Reimbursement of the NHS levy or a contribution towards travel insurance of up to £200
- Repayment of accommodation council tax. (The host institution provides the accommodation).
How Long does Chevening Fellowship Last?
The duration of Chevening fellowship differ. They list the duration of program in the final award letter, fellows receive after application. Usually, Chevening fellowship lasts for 12 months.
However, a chevening fellow can choose to extend his program. They permit this extensions in exceptional circumstance.
All extensions are subject to the availability of funds and the importance of your work. Extensions are not automatic therefore, do not assume iy.
What’s the Location of Chevening Fellowship?
Most Chevening Fellowship is in the United kingdom. Once you become a chevener, next thing is to travel to the UK. Chevening sponsors it.
Can I Defer my Chevening Fellowship?
Yes, they can accept deferral of fellowship based on cases such as pregnancy. However, all other applicants selected for the program who are unable to make it will have to withdraw or re-apply the following year.
Does Chevening Terminate Fellowships?
Yes, Chevening will terminate your program on account of;
- Not meeting up to expectation.
- Dismissal from Host institution.
- Submission of fraudulent documents.
- Violation of any local UK law and practice.
- Conviction of bribery, in line with the UK Bribery Act.
- Failure to comply conditions of entry clearance to the UK.
Some Chevening Fellowship Opening in 2021
- The Chevening/Clore Fellowship
- The Chevening/Clore Fellowship
- The Chevening Ethiopia Leadership Fellowship
- Chevening Africa Media Freedom Fellowship (CAMFF) 2021
- Chevening-Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies (OCIS) Fellowship Program 2021
- The Chevening British Library Fellowship 2021 for International Library Experts
To find out more visit Chevening Website!!!
Is Chevening Fellowship same as Chevening Scholarships?
No, Chevening fellowship differ from Chevening Scholarships. Chevening fellowships is for mid-career professionals whereas Chevening Scholarships is for undergraduates. The aim of Chevening Scholarship is to provide monetary assistance to students. Whereas Chevening fellowship has lot more to offer than cash.
To stand a chance to win this fellowship, apply with the right documents and ace your interview. Furthermore, ready your IELTS, TOEFL and GRE. Your host institution night require them. They will consider you if you beat the Chevening deadline.