Secretary job description: Secretary is more like an old-fashioned name for a personal assistant, the Job description is the same. As a secretary, you will perform a variety of administrative tasks in the office. You must ensure optimum workflow.
You are an important part of the office and a lot of documents will have to pass through your office daily.
- What Does a Secretary Do?
- Secretary Duties and Responsibilities
- What Skills and Personality Suits a Secretary?
- #3. Good time managerial skills
- What are the Qualifications Required to Become a Secretary?
- Where Do Secretaries Work?
- How Much Do Secretaries Earn?
- What Questions Should I in a Secretary Job Interview?
- Conclusion: Secretary Job Description Guide
What Does a Secretary Do?
Secretary or administrative secretary helps to keep all activities running smoothly in a firm. Most times, they play administrative roles. Such roles include database management and taking minutes during official meetings.
Sometimes, a secretary may also play some of the receptionist roles. The job of an administrative secretary or personal assistant may be routed to a professional career.
It just depends on the ability of the employee to show themselves capable and work their way up.
Secretary Duties and Responsibilities
Although, your duties and responsibilities as a secretary may be less or more than these depending on your qualification and employer.
- Zara Student Discounts 2023 | Get 20% Up in Zara Discount
- YouTube Student Discount 2023 | Pay Less for Unlimited Streaming
- York University Acceptance Rate 2023 and Average GPA
- Yonsei University Acceptance Rate 2023| Tuition-Cost, Average GPA & Admission
- Yale University Scholarships, Cost of Living, Acceptance Rate, and Courses
- Yale School of Drama Acceptance Rate 2023|Tuition-Fees, Admission, and Courses
What Skills and Personality Suits a Secretary?
#1. Give attention to details
A good secretary should be able to pay attention to details.
As the personal assistant of your boss, you will be entrusted with so many activities and must not overlook anything.
#2. Ability to multitask
As a receptionist, your job description may require you to multitask without making mistakes.
#3. Good time managerial skills
The importance of time management as a secretary cannot be over-emphasized.
Also, it is your duty to keep to time as well as help your boss manage time.
#4. Great communication skills
A secretary should be eloquent in speech.
Therefore, you should be able to communicate well in speech or writing at all times
#5. Proficiency in MS office suite
It is advantageous for a secretary to know how to use Microsoft office properly.
That’s because you will need it for carrying out major tasks.
Like keeping records or typing memos.
#6. Good customer service skills
A secretary should be polite and well mannered in having conversations, whether via phone calls or physical conversation.
No matter how occupied or stressed you are, you must always appear and speak nicely.
Because speaking angrily or rudely may offend clients.
As a secretary or personal assistant, you should always look presentable.
You may have to attend meetings or conferences with your boss.
Just like the old saying goes
“You are addressed the way you dress”
You certainly do not want clients to have a wrong perception of the organization.
As a result of you being dressed poorly.
What are the Qualifications Required to Become a Secretary?
Although not mandatory, it is advantageous to have a degree in any of these fields.
A decade ago, shorthand was one of the mandatory qualifications. But now, with improvement in technology, it is outdated. Great typing speed puts you at an edge when applying for a job as a secretary.
Most times, companies prefer hiring those who can type a certain number of words at a time. Just like every other job out there, employers prefer to hire those with experience.
Therefore having experience in any form of administrative work or related fields, makes getting the job easier.
You can also take online courses on secretarial training. Such training does not take more than six months to complete.
Where Do Secretaries Work?
There are so many organizations that require the services of a secretary. Ranging from government-owned institutions to private companies and organizations. Most organizations require the services
How Much Do Secretaries Earn?
According to Indeed.com, the average salary of a secretary is about $25,929 per annum.
But, this figure is liable to change based on your experience, qualification, employer, and location.
In the United States, a secretary with over 10 years of experience may earn up to $30,382 per year.
And those with less than a year of experience earn $23, 558 per year.
Most times Secretaries that work in more developed locations may earn more than those who work in less developed locations.
What Questions Should I in a Secretary Job Interview?
Although, different employers evaluate different skills during an interview.
But irrespective of your employers, here are some common questions that may be asked.
To learn more about the questions that could be asked during a secretarial job interview and how to answer them, click HERE.
Conclusion: Secretary Job Description Guide
If you intend to take up a career path in an administrative role.
Career growth may come from taking more senior administrative roles depending on your organization and also improving your qualification.
Here is a list of other job description guides
- Scheduler Job Description [2023 Guide]
- Chief of Staff Job Description [2023 Guide]
- Barista Job Description [2023 Guide]
- Bank Teller Job Description [2023 Guide]
- Delivery Driver Job Description [2023 Guide]
- Sales Representative Job Description [2023 Guide]
- Teacher Job Description | All You Need to Know
- Secretary Job Description [Duties of a Secretary]
- Dermatologist Job Description [Work of a Dermatologist]
- Lab Technician Job Description | All You Need to Know