This guide on the job description of a sales representative is well optimized for writing a good resume.
Sales representatives advertise and sell a company’s product or services to individuals, and/or organizations.
The job description of a sales representative require that they meet with potential buyers, educate them on why they should buy a product, negotiate price and then answer their questions.
To excel in this position, you must have an in depth understanding of the product or services you sell as well as have an excellent interpersonal skill.
You can either be an inside sales representative or an outside sales representative.
Inside sales representative sell products or respond to customers via phone calls, mails and online meetings
Whereas an outdoor representative has to meet with customers physically.
Most businesses require the service of a sales representative, therefore there are a variety of job opportunities out there for you.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a sales representative?
The duties and responsibilities of a sales representative may be dependent on your employer and the sector and size of the firm.
But, irrespective of your employer, sector and size of the firm you work for, here are some of the typical duties of a sales representative:
- Identity and generate leads.
- Advertise and present and sell products or services using strong and convincing argument to prospective buyers.
- Carry out needs analysis and cost-benefits of prospective buyers in order to meet the customer’s need.
- Create and maintain good business relationship with all customers, both potential and existing ones.
- Provide response and solution to the complaints of customers.
- Meet up with sales target on or before an agreed deadline.
- Carry out research to identify a potential market.
- Negotiate Price with customers.
- Make weekly, monthly and yearly reports.
- Receive payment for goods and services.
- Keep customers or clients record.
- Work as a team with other team members to improve sales.
Although receiving payment for goods and services is included in this list, it is not so in every organization.
- SIWES / I.T Student / Interns at Chrysolite Designs
- United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA) Graduate Recruitment Programme 2021
- Deloitte Nigeria Job Recruitment (7 Positions)
- Financial Advisor at Deloitte Nigeria – Abuja and Lagos
- Audit & Assurance Professional at Deloitte Nigeria – Lagos and Abuja
- Risk Advisor at Deloitte Nigeria – Abuja and Lagos
What qualifications do I need to become a sales representative?
A bachelor’s degree in business, economics, marketing or other related fields is advantageous.
Such bachelor’s degree program takes about 3-4 years to complete.
In most small businesses, a high school diploma will do.
Aside from a formal training, employers also look out for individuals who have good understanding of the product or services, he or she is to sell.
Just like in every other job, most employers prefer employing those with a level of experience.
Experience in marketing or any other related Field for 2-4 years is a plus for you.
Employers also look out for those with proficiency in Microsoft office suit.
What skills and personality suit a sales representative?
The job description of a sales rep requires that you posses certain skills and attributes.
In as much as certificates and other qualifications are important to get the job, these skills makes you good at the job.
Some of the skills and personality a good sales representative should posses are:
A good sales rep should be able to communicate verbally and in writing appropriately.
You should be able to communicate effectively with clients and customers as well ad their employers.
To excel in sales representation, you have to be honest. If you work in firms where you receive payment for goods or services, then honesty is more important.
Not just for your employer, but also for your own good also.
A good sales rep must be goal oriented. You have to do all it takes, in line with your work ethics to meet up with your target before the given deadline.
To become a good sales representative, you should be capable of building and maintaining good business relationship with clients, customers and emplskill
An excellent negotiate skill is a necessary skill for a sale rep to posses. You must be able to agree on a good price with clients.
A price that is fair to the customer, but still profitable to the business.
A good sales rep has to be highly motivated. Even when things don’t seem to be going well.
7.Ability to work under pressure
As a good sales rep, you should be able to work well said calmly even under so much pressure.
8.Problem solving skills
A good sales representative should also be able to respond to and solve possible problems a customers mill face
How much do sales representatives make?
Your pay as a sales rep is dependent on your employer, experience, location, qualification and skills.
On the average sales representatives make an average of $64,679 per year.
In less developed countries, a sales representative may earn less.
Also, less experienced or qualified sales rep may also earn less than their more experience colleagues.
In the United States, sales rep with up to 10 years experience earn up to $73,808 per annum.
Whereas those with just one year experience earn $58,307 per year.
Where do sales representatives work?
Every organization that provide services or sells products always require the service of a sales rep.
Some of the typical employers of sales representatives are:
- Manufacturing firms
- Social media agencies
- private businesses
- Government organizations
- Hospitality establishments
Your duties and responsibilities is greatly determined by where you work.
What should I include in my sales representative resume?
When creating a resume, you may want to include everything that an employer wants to know.
Knowing and understanding the job description of a sales representative is a good step towards creating that perfect resume.
When writing a resume, here are some things to include:
- Knowledge of the job
Feel free to make use of this guide on the job description of a sales representative to create a good resume.
Conclusion: sales representative job description guide
For Individuals who have a passion for meeting people and a skill in negotiation, taking up a job or career as a sales representative will certainly be Interesting.
The job of a sales rep may be stressful at times, but meeting your target brings a lot of satisfaction.
Other job descriptions:
- What is the Job Description of a Nurse?
- What is the Job Description of an Uber Driver?
- What is the Job Description of a Lifeguard?
- What is the Job Description of a Brand Manager?
- What is the Job Description of a Zoologist?
- What is the Job Description of a Hotel Manager?
- What is the Job description of a Financial Analyst?
- What is the Job Description of a Quality Assurance Manager?
- What is the job description of a research assistant?
- What is the Job Description of a Compliance Manager?
- What is the Job Description of a Brand Ambassador?
- What is the Job Description of a Customer Service Representative?